Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rijo teaches Ramon Ortiz a new slider that makes him feel happy

Rijo teaches Ramon Ortiz a new slider that makes him feel happy

Goofy subject title, I know...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030201651.html

By Dave Sheinin
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, March 3, 2006; Page E10

VIERA, Fla., March 2 -- The first pitch Ramon Ortiz threw for Jose Rijo during an impromptu audition in the Dominican Republic this winter was clocked at 96 mph. Rijo, a special assistant to Washington Nationals General Manager Jim Bowden, immediately called his boss and said, "Jim, I think this guy could be a real sleeper."

The Nationals signed Ortiz, 32, to a one-year deal in December, and on Thursday he made his first appearance of the spring, stretching out to 50 pitches over three innings in a 9-1 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Ortiz, who is expected to win one of the Nationals' three rotation spots up for grabs this spring, debuted a new slider taught to him by Rijo and struggled some with his command -- issuing three walks during the second inning -- but impressed his new team with the life on his pitches.

"I like what I saw," pitching coach Randy St. Claire said.

"I like his arm," Manager Frank Robinson said. "He has a live arm."

Ortiz said he was not too worried about the control problems because of his unfamiliarity with the new slider, which has a sharper bite and tighter spin than his old one.

"For my first game in spring training," he said, "I feel happy."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rijo teaches Ramon Ortiz a new slider that makes him feel happy

Do you have to list former Red on your resume to work for the Nats?

Every person mentioned in this article was a Red in some fashion.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Re: Rijo teaches Ramon Ortiz a new slider that makes him feel happy

I think we had the same idea last year to pick up a cheap live arm, but it just ended in sloppy haircuts, lots of longballs, and a 5+ERA. It's good to see that Ortiz is still "happy" though!

Turn Off Ads?