Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things That Drive You Crazy With Everyday Items

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Things That Drive You Crazy With Everyday Items

Last night I was taking something very hot out of the oven, so I grabbed an oven mitt and placed it on my hand. As I was pulling the cookie sheet out, my hand started to burn something awful.

Now here's my problem. It wasn't like I grabbed a shop towel or an old sock- I grabbed an oven mitt. Its precise purpose is to protect from things that are hot. What good is it if I still get burned?

I thought maybe I should add a towel or something more cushiony, but you know, I didn't buy it as an accessory, it was supposed to be the featured item. That would be like wearing a sweatshirt on top of a sweatshirt or mittens on top of mittens.

There are things like this I struggle with everyday- like windshield wiper fluid. There are times when I'm simply better off just leaving the windshield alone. It's almost as if I am making mud by throwing something wet on a dirt filled windshield. And it never fails, the messiest spot always shows right in my line of vision.

Anyone think of other things that don't do what they are supposed to do sometimes or things that don't work as well as they should?
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 03-03-2006 at 03:25 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Things That Drive You Crazy With Everyday Items

The Emergency Brake. It's more like an "emergency make the car smell funny, lever."

I too love me some Mitch.

Computers make me mad. They're just so darn uncooperative.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

I also hate those little kitchen sink sponges. After about a week, they start to smell, and it doesn't matter if you soak them full of diswashing soap, wash them in the dishwasher, the laundry or have them dry cleaned. Their life span is over. Death by smell.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 03-03-2006 at 03:53 PM.

That's why they are disposable

Sporks, they do neither job well.
    Go Gators!

That's why they are disposable
    I changed that as you were writing this. I thought people were going to think I meant the birth control sponge.

My wife tells me that if you wring those kitchen sink sponges out after every use, they last longer and don't smell as bad.

Me, personally? I don't care enough about them to do it. I'll go out and spend the $2 for an extra pack of 4 and just throw them away rather than have my hands smell all crappy from wringing them out everytime.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Non-stick pans that aren't.

If you've got a non-stick pan, why do you still have to put oil or butter in it to cook something?

Maybe not an everyday item, but how about those self-checkout things at a store. Our Wal-Mart has then, first I'm spending my money there, and you want me to do my own check out too? Are you going to give me a discount because you don't have to pay an extra cashier? How bout you just give it to me in cash, since I just became an employee. After all, aren't you an employee when you work somewhere, and if I'm doing checkout, then I'm working there... Hey on that account McDonalds should give us an employee discount too, since we have to deliver the food to the table and bus the tables too.

I remember a grocery store called Fazio's that was in Milford- this was before they had the UPC codes to scan for the price- and to save money, they gave you a little black crayon to mark the prices on things so the cashier would know what to charge. I don't know what ever stopped people from writing lesser amounts on the items. Maybe that's why they went out of business.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 03-03-2006 at 04:27 PM.

We've been through two electric can openers and now a not-cheap manual one, and all three have been crap. The two electric ones had this magnet thing that would grab the top of the can as it was being taken off. But then to get the lever up and remove the lid, the opener made a sort of flicking motion, which flung whatever was stuck to the lid all over the counter or onto me.

We eliminated the flicking mess problem by buying a fairly nice manual crank opener, and it chews the paper up around the top of the can's label. You have all these little shreds of label on the counter when you're finished.

Everything in the world is made for right-handed people.

I'm not even left-handed, but it irritates me on principle.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Here are a few that come to mind:

Grocery carts with one bad wheel. Or grocery carts that won't roll straight.

When you're at a restaurant and the fork you're using has tines that don't line up quite right. I hate that.

Ketchup packets at fast-food places. What a hassle. They're too small, they don't always tear right. Horrible for travel.

Phone cords. Once they're twisted the wrong way, you can never get them back to the way they were.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Forgot about grocery carts. I always grab the one with the loud wheel, so when I come down the aisle, heads turn. Or sometimes I get the one with the wheel that is just stuck, and I lift the back end of the cart off the ground and let it drop so it becomes unstuck. Sometimes.

max, we think alike. We posted that within seconds of each other

Your post made me think of another- walkman headphones. I have bought about 300 pair of these to jog with, and after about a month, all of them only work out of one ear. I don't know if it's something I do to them, but there's always that one side that either doesn't work - or even worse- works intermittently. Intermittent ones are bad because they sometimes work if you hold the cord just a certain way, which can lead to a pretty funky running form for me.

I once had a pair that would work fine and then all of a sudden decide it was going to play the music at full blast. It would scare me to the point of nearly falling over.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 03-03-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Everything in the world is made for right-handed people.

I'm not even left-handed, but it irritates me on principle.
    My wife is left handed, one year for her birthday I subsribered her to a Left-Handers magazine. It was printed with the binding on the opposite side, she had gotten so used to a right-handed world it was hard to read the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75
    My wife is left handed, one year for her birthday I subsribered her to a Left-Handers magazine. It was printed with the binding on the opposite side, she had gotten so used to a right-handed world it was hard to read the mag.
    Supposedly left-handers live something like seven years less than righties on average. Maybe the stress of living in a right-handed world gets to them. They also have tons more accidents, obviously, from trying to do things like work right-handed can openers and scissors and whatnot. I am sure your wife will buck the trend though.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?