Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I wish I were Alfonso Soriano

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I wish I were Alfonso Soriano

20+ errors last season and refuses to switch positions. I guess he must be blackmailing Bowden.

Alfonso Soriano left the Washington Nationals to join the Dominican Republic team for the World Baseball Classic with his position unresolved.

Soriano doesn't want to move from second base to the outfield as the Nationals, who have Jose Vidro at second, have asked.

Alfonso Soriano
    Soriano

"They have three weeks to fix it," Soriano told The Washington Post before leaving town. He told the paper he didn't know what would happen if the issue remains unresolved.

Manager Frank Robinson, who didn't have either second baseman in the Nationals' lineup for the first two exhibition games, expects the next move to come from Soriano.

"Hopefully [he will] come to us when he comes back -- or while he's there, maybe have his agent call us and say, 'OK, Alfonso said this is what he's going to do,' " Robinson told the Post. "That's what we're hoping for."

A two-hour meeting with team officials last week failed to produce a breakthrough, and the parties essentially agreed to put off the problem.

"We've been pretty clear about being unclear," general manager Jim Bowden said Feb. 23.

Soriano worked out at second base with the Nationals for the first few days of spring training because that is the position he will play for the Dominican Republic. Soriano reported to the Dominican team Friday and could return as late as March 21.

The Nationals acquired Soriano, a four-time All-Star second baseman, from Texas in a December trade that sent outfielders Brad Wilkerson and Terrmel Sledge and pitcher Armando Galarraga to the Rangers.

With three-time All-Star Vidro already on the roster, Washington made it clear that Vidro will not be moved and that Soriano would be asked to play left field. Soriano made it clear that he wasn't happy about it.

Robinson told the Post that he hasn't had an in-depth conversation since the meeting last week with Soriano, his agent and Bowden to sit down. The team had limited contact with Soriano in the offseason because he was going through arbitration -- the panel chose the team's $10 million offer over his $12 million request.

Robinson has dismissed the notion of moving Vidro to another position. Vidro has been bothered by knee problems for 2½ seasons, but said he "100 percent" and ready to play a full season when he reported to camp. He announced he would not play for Puerto Rico in the WBC in order to focus on the Nationals.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I wish I were Alfonso Soriano

must be nice to be so over hyped.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

If they ask him to play LF and he refuses, can they suspend him without pay?
    Let's play two!!!

Thread title started making me hum it to the tune of "I wish I were an Oscar Meyer weiner..."

(singing) Oh, I wish I were Al-fonso Sor-i-a-no. Oh, that is who I'd truly like to be-e-e. For if I were Al-fonso Sor-i-a-no...then all the world would be in love with me.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68
    If they ask him to play LF and he refuses, can they suspend him without pay?
    I would think so but a less controversial method would be just to bench him. He can either play LF or sit. I wonder if he has minor league options left?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think the league will push to suspend him without pay, and I'll wholeheartedly support the league. Since "the league" owns the Nationals, it might fly. I'd love to see the union have to defend this guy.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

It is just leverage on Soriano's part to get a new contract.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I wonder if the Yankees would take him back? Possibly for Sheffield since the Nats need an OFer.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I hear the Eagles are looking for a wide receiver now that TO will be gone...

Denorfia, Aurillia, and Milton for Soriano?

Would that work for the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony

No because Tony Womack is our starting second baseman. He's a National League type player who has to start since he can manufacture runs
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    It is just leverage on Soriano's part to get a new contract.
    I've got an idea for him to get a better contract. Go out and play well in his contract year.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony

Nope, Soriano is getting worse each year, his real reason for throwing a fit in Washington is he doesn't want to play in that park.

I'd take him for Milton with the nats picking up the difference in salary.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    his real reason for throwing a fit in Washington is he doesn't want to play in that park.

Good call. And that's why MLB needs to put the kibosh on it. We can't have pitchers refusing to play in Colorado and hitters refusing to play in Washington, when players' have been traded there within the peramaters of the collective bargaining agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I wonder if the Yankees would take him back? Possibly for Sheffield since the Nats need an OFer.
    There was talk of trading Sheffield (for Mike Cameron, I think) in the middle of last season, and Sheffield made it very clear that he would make life miserable for any team that traded for him. He wants to finish his career with the Yankees.

I do wonder where Soriano will end up, I happen to love him a lot and I find all of this ridiculousness (along with the season he had) kind of heartbreaking.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?