Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I wish I were Alfonso Soriano

Re: I wish I were Alfonso Soriano

He signed a baseball card for me when he was playing for the Columbus Clippers. He was very cool about it. The usher was shooing me away from the dugout but Soriano dissed him and called me over to him to sign my card. It was a Yankees top prespect card that had Soriano and Jiminez on it. I later had Jiminez sign it too. One of my favorite cards.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

i got soriano's auto too, met him at the westin in cleveland nice guy

he is the best offensive 2b in the game....

btw,what would the board's reaction be w/ griffey, if we told him he had to move to 1b b/c we have a better cfer now? he wouldn't move either

Quote Originally Posted by butlerbulldogs
    Chase Utley, Jeff Kent, Jorge Cantu, Luis Castillo, Brian Roberts, Marcus Giles...I would take all of those guys over Soriano. Even Freel at 405,000 is more valuable than Soriano at 8 million or whatever he makes, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Chase Utley, Jeff Kent, Jorge Cantu, Luis Castillo, Brian Roberts, Marcus Giles...I would take all of those guys over Soriano. Even Freel at 405,000 is more valuable than Soriano at 8 million or whatever he makes, imo.
    He's just talking pure offense...saying that Soriano is the best in the game offensively. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    He's just talking pure offense...saying that Soriano is the best in the game offensively. I agree.
    But he's not though.

Utley, Kent, Giles, Mark Ellis, Roberts, Polanco, and Todd Walker all had a higher OPS than Soriano last year. Jorge Cantu finished with a similar OPS. Soriano finished last in OPS among the 16 MLB second baseman who had enough atbats to qualify.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

i got soriano's auto too, met him at the westin in cleveland nice guy

btw,what would the board's reaction be w/ griffey, if we told him he had to move to 1b b/c we have a better cfer now? he wouldn't move either
    And the worst defensive 2B in the game as well(if not, he's pretty close). Just because you carry a big stick doesn't mean you aren't a liability on the field.

If Griffey were asked to switch positions because we had a better CF, I would be all for it. Who knows, maybe it would keep him healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Okay...he's the best FANTASY 2b in baseball. Will you at least give me that?

Plus OPS doesn't factor in runs scored, SBs, etc. It's an incomplete stat.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    And the worst defensive 2B in the game as well(if not, he's pretty close). Just because you carry a big stick doesn't mean you aren't a liability on the field.

If Griffey were asked to switch positions because we had a better CF, I would be all for it. Who knows, maybe it would keep him healthy.

you said you'd be all for it, it is griffey making the decision not you, if the reds demanded he change positions, what would your opinion be of griffey if he wouldn't switch??

i will take sorianos # as a 2b any day, he is the best offensive 2b....only 30 years old, i could deal with the errors, i will take 18, 39, 38, 28, 36 HRS for his 5 seasons in the league .280 career average, 43, 41, 35, 18 30 sbs...I am very happy you aren't our gm, Todd Walker is better LOL

i will take sorianos # as a 2b any day, he is the best offensive 2b....only 30 years old, i could deal with the errors, i will take 18, 39, 38, 28, 36 HRS for his 5 seasons in the league .280 career average, 43, 41, 35, 18 30 sbs...I am very happy you aren't our gm, Todd Walker is better LOL
    Among 2005 MLB Batting Title qualifiers at Second Base, Brian Roberts (7.43 RC/27), Chase Utley (7.38 RC/27), Jeff Kent (6.65 RC/27), Placido Polanco (6.33 RC/27), and Marcus Giles (6.11 RC/27) were all better offensively than was Alfonso Soriano (5.96 RC/27). The problem is that Soriano's defense (truly awful) throws him even further down the list if we're talking about overall Run value at 2B.

And, yes, Todd Walker didn't have enough PA to qualify for the batting title, but his RC/27 places him above Soriano on the list as well. Toss in the fact that Walker, while average, is still better defensively than Soriano and you won't find a smart GM on the planet who'd take Soriano at 3 times the cost of a Todd Walker.

Soriano was once a much better offensive player but offensive skillsets like his degenerate quickly (see: Batista, Tony). His OBP skills have degraded to a flashpoint and now he doesn't have a top hitter's ballpark to help him out anymore. His Road splits for the past two seasons:

2004: .244 BA/.291 OBP/.444 SLG
    2005: .224 BA/.265 OBP/.374 SLG

RFK is going to chew Soriano up and spit him out and his game doesn't play well at even an average offensive ballpark. Bowden made a HUGE mistake in trading for him. Huge.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Among 2005 MLB Batting Title qualifiers at Second Base, Brian Roberts (7.43 RC/27), Chase Utley (7.38 RC/27), Jeff Kent (6.65 RC/27), Placido Polanco (6.33 RC/27), and Marcus Giles (6.11 RC/27) were all better offensively than was Alfonso Soriano (5.96 RC/27). The problem is that Soriano's defense (truly awful) throws him even further down the list if we're talking about overall Run value at 2B.

And, yes, Todd Walker didn't have enough PA to qualify for the batting title, but his RC/27 places him above Soriano on the list as well. Toss in the fact that Walker, while average, is still better defensively than Soriano and you won't find a smart GM on the planet who'd take Soriano at 3 times the cost of a Todd Walker.

Soriano was once a much better offensive player but offensive skillsets like his degenerate quickly (see: Batista, Tony). His OBP skills have degraded to a flashpoint and now he doesn't have a top hitter's ballpark to help him out anymore. His Road splits for the past two seasons:

2004: .244 BA/.291 OBP/.444 SLG
    2005: .224 BA/.265 OBP/.374 SLG

RFK is going to chew Soriano up and spit him out and his game doesn't play well at even an average offensive ballpark. Bowden made a HUGE mistake in trading for him. Huge.
    Great post, Steel.

Butler - You can have Soriano. I'll take the slightly better and cheaper Walker, among others over Soriano.

A lot of people like him because he steals bases, that's well and good but it doesn't make up for the other huge problems with his game.
    Go Gators!

in the words of ron burgandy, we agree to disagree, great points, but i don't buy into the rc a game stuff, i like the steals, rbis, and hrs he provides, and all being equal, you have to take him over Todd Walker, that is just common sense

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    A lot of people like him because he steals bases, that's well and good but it doesn't make up for the other huge problems with his game.
    I like him because he runs like a gazelle.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

in the words of ron burgandy, we agree to disagree, great points, but i don't buy into the rc a game stuff, i like the steals, rbis, and hrs he provides, and all being equal, you have to take him over Todd Walker, that is just common sense
    You can feel free to disagree, but you're disagreeing with logic. Statistics like OPS, RC/G and WS have statistical validity. Those steals and RBIs you like so much are all factored into a stat such as RC/G, and will present a fair glimpse at what the player brings to the table. And the problem is, all ISN'T equal. Walker is clearly the better defensive player of the two, and though he doesn't have Soriano's power or speed, he gets on base far more often. So, is it "common sense" to take a player with Soriano's numbers at $10 million a year over a player such as Walker at a third of that amount? Not necessarily.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

you said you'd be all for it, it is griffey making the decision not you, if the reds demanded he change positions, what would your opinion be of griffey if he wouldn't switch??
    If the Reds acquired a younger CF and asked Griffey to switch positions and he refused, then yes, I would look down on Griffey for not doing something to help better the team. If you want to see the perfect examples of unselfish players, look to Cal Ripken and Alex Rodriguez.

Really, where did I say Todd Walker is better than Alfonso Soriano? Because I don't see it.

There is no argument that Alfonso Soriano is ONE of the best offensive second baseman in the game. I'm glad you could deal with the errors, because the Rangers couldn't, and apparently the Nationals couldn't either if they were looking at moving him to the outfield.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?