Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Only a matter of time for Germano

Only a matter of time for Germano

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...603040333/1071

BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. - The Reds are hoping that Justin Germano turns into another Aaron Harang or Brandon Claussen.

The Reds got Germano the same way they got Harang and Claussen - in a salary-dumping, trade-deadline deal.

Germano, 23, a right-hander, came from San Diego in the trade for Joe Randa last July.

He has an outside chance to make the rotation out of camp. He made his team debut Friday in the Reds' 17-10 loss to the Detroit Tigers at Ed Smith Stadium.

Germano was so-so - two innings, two runs on four hits, a walk and two strikeouts.

"I felt all right," he said. "I babied some pitches. It was OK for a first outing. It's good to get the first outing over with."

Germano understands his situation. If he pitches well and Paul Wilson isn't ready to start the season, Germano could end up in the rotation. That's hard not to think about.

"It's there," he said. "I don't want to put too much pressure on myself. But it's there in the back of my mind that I could break camp with the team or be up some time during the year."

Left-hander Michael Gosling took an early lead in the competition with Germano. Gosling pitched three shutout innings in the other game of the split-squad doubleheader - a 9-1 win over Minnesota in Fort Myers.

But Germano will get more chances.

He actually got a taste of the big leagues in 2004 as a 21-year-old, going 1-2 with an 8.86 ERA in seven games for the Padres after starting the year in Double-A.

Germano had a solid year in 2005, going 10-8 with a 3.79 ERA in Triple-A.

"He has three good pitches," said minor-league pitching coordinator Mack Jenkins. "He really battles. He has a little something extra with runners on base."

Germano knows he'll have to be better if he wants to make the club.

"I was just missing by a hair with my curveball," he said. "It will get better."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Only a matter of time for Germano

I disagree with one part of this, the Randa trade was not a salary dump.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?