Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did you want to be when you grew up...and what did you turn out to be?

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Re: What did you want to be when you grew up...and what did you turn out to be?

All I ever wanted to be was starting SS for the Cincinnati Reds, I fell just a little short of that

I'm in sales for a large avionics company
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

At various times as a child, I wanted to be a horse trainer, rodeo cowboy, veterinarian, or military pilot.

As an adult:

I have been a horse trainer and rodeo cowboy.

In a little over 2 months I will recieve my Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine.

I found out that I am afraid of flying.

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

As a kid I wanted to be the catcher for the Reds, James Bond, a sportswriter and a lawyer.

I ended up a disaster relief worker.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I wanted to be a pastor, went to school at Pensacola for a day and decided against it.

Now im going to be a business major.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I wanted to be a pastor, went to school at Pensacola for a day and decided against it.

Now im going to be a business major.
    one day, that's all it took, huh?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    one day, that's all it took, huh?
    It wasnt so much the occupation as it was the school. Legalism to the fullest extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I wanted to write/film commericals ...

I ended up in software development.

GL

Wanted to play professional baseball...messed up my arm at 13 (had a VERY good fastball...and a lefty to boot, but coach let me throw too much junk)...

Ended up a vet. of the USMC and worked on the F/A-18, then still in aviation on the V-22 Osprey now.

Going to be a professional poker player.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Like Sava I wanted to be an astronaut.

Now I work for a company that builds rockets and satellites. Close, but not quite there.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    As a kid I wanted to be the catcher for the Reds, James Bond, a sportswriter and a lawyer.

I ended up a disaster relief worker.
    I know virtually every scene in the 007 movies by heart, I was sports editor for my high school paper, and I am a lawyer; I never wanted to be a catcher though--I agree with John Fogerty: "Centerfield."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    Wanted to play professional baseball...messed up my arm at 13 (had a VERY good fastball...and a lefty to boot, but coach let me throw too much junk)...

Ended up a vet. of the USMC and worked on the F/A-18, then still in aviation on the V-22 Osprey now.

Going to be a professional poker player.
    Yeah...the older I get the better my fastball was too.

We all were tracking to make it to the big leagues, right? And we all have stories about misfortunate series of events that kept us from making it.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

i wanted to be a baseball player, but also had my career hampered by a tragedy: i sucked. bad eyes, no reflexes, no feet, no hands = sucks. plus, i got plunked early on, so i bailed out on every pitch within 10 feet of the strike zone.
    after that, i wanted to be an astronomer: not smart enough.
    then, i wanted to be a writer. even wrote for a local newspaper for a while, but loathed the field and everyone involved. i wanted to write novels.

now, i work in retail, but write on the side. i signed my first book deal last week with a very small publisher, but it is a start. even nearing 40, the dreams should never die.

For a long time, I wanted to be an astronaut (Mercury 7, Gemini, Apollo, and all that).

Then, a sharp-shooting forward for the Cincinnati Royals. Then a rifle-armed line-drive-hitting right fielder that perennially wins the batting title for the Cincinnati Reds (I did't know BA was Evil in those days). And finally an outside linebacker for the Cleveland Browns.

I'm a software guy these days. Although I haven't written code in a long time.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I actually wanted to be general manager of the Cincinnati Reds.

I ended up in sales support.

Advances in computer technology have enabled me to live out those GM fantasies in simulation form.

[QUOTE=paintmered]The E variants are also painted a darker color than the chucks. This is for obvious reasons as the F-15C is an air superiority fighter and the F-15E has a ground attack role.

I am very familiar with both variants. Worked on the C/D and E models. There is a honeycomb inner stucture on the F-15's that is vulnerable to water entrapment and in the job I did with the Air Force (still do with the Guard), we would have to X-Ray these areas to look for the water entrapments. On just about any given phase inspection, we would shoot upwards of 200 pieces of film. Beautiful aircraft, but a maintenance beast. Here is one of my favorite shots of the "Echo" model.

By the way, Creek and I have you outnumbered.

Last edited by dman; 03-07-2006 at 10:39 PM.

Turn Off Ads?