Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Okay...what's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

Re: Okay...what's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Slider and onion chips from White Castle.
    That's fine dining, baby.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

During a fit a drunken baffoonery in college, we thought it would be cool to try to eat a "Rocky" diet the next morning. Half a dozen raw eggs. That day was pure hell.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I once won $50 for drinking an 8 oz glass of beer, cigarette butts, sugar, salt, and pepper.

Wouldn't do it now for less than $1000, but would do it again for $50 in the same situation.

Yuck.

GL

We went to dinner at the beach the other day. The weather was great and there were a lot of seagulls in the air (and begging for handouts). That brought up the discussion; why don't people eat seagulls? Considering all of the odd things people in this thread have tried, why doesn't someone have a receipe for rosemary/garlic roasted seagull? These birds are about the size of a small chicken and are plentiful so I would think that mankind, in it's continuing quest for food would have taken advantage of them as food source if at all palitable.

Do they taste that bad? Anyone know?

Rem

That brought up the discussion; why don't people eat seagulls?
    Garbage eaters... how come ya never see baby gulls is a bigger mystery

Eating a seagull is the equivalent of eating a rat from the sewer
    Go Gators!

"wheat bread" - Krono :
    School's out. What did you expect?

Oh, I fully understand the 'flying ratbird picture' but, then again, catfish are nothing more than swimming rats and humans actually propogate them for comsumtion.

Also, I've often wondered what motivated the first human to try a particular food. For instance, oysters (which I love). When the first caveman picked one out of the sea, finally managed to open it and then looked at it he didn't say 'wow, yummy with a little horseradish, tobasco and lemon. No doubt, hunger was a great motivator but, beyond that....? What about artichokes (another thing that I love)? It's a thistle and it will choke you if you eat the wrong parts. Who was the first person to try that and why (and, did they live )?

Just seems to me that there is some interesting history behind some of the things that we eat.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    "wheat bread" - Krono :
    I like wheat bread...as long as somthing is on it

:
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Oh, I fully understand the 'flying ratbird picture' but, then again, catfish are nothing more than swimming rats and humans actually propogate them for comsumtion.

Also, I've often wondered what motivated the first human to try a particular food. For instance, oysters (which I love). When the first caveman picked one out of the sea, finally managed to open it and then looked at it he didn't say 'wow, yummy with a little horseradish, tobasco and lemon. No doubt, hunger was a great motivator but, beyond that....? What about artichokes (another thing that I love)? It's a thistle and it will choke you if you eat the wrong parts. Who was the first person to try that and why (and, did they live )?

Just seems to me that there is some interesting history behind some of the things that we eat.

Rem

Birds that fly around and flap a lot generally make for tough breast meat. And in the case of the seagull, there's not much else you'd want to eat but the breast meat. I imagine the meat's scanty and tough.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

"Albatross!"

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Durian Fruit, Eel, and Alligator are probably my weirdest.
    I hope you were outside when you had that Durian fruit, that stuff could clear a room out. Did you like it? Even most of the people I met from the areas of the world where it's grown do not seem to like it.

As far as the weirdest I have had eaten. When I was younger I spent quite a bit of time in other countries so I have had some things that maybe considered weird or things that I was not sure what it was. Lets see Chicken feet, monkey meat on a stick, dinuguan and almost tried belut (sp), but once I found out what it was there was not enough red horse or san miguel in the country to make me try it. Ofcourse in TJ I once was hungry enough to eat something from the street vendors after the clubs closed, no telling what that was.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCalRed
    I hope you were outside when you had that Durian fruit, that stuff could clear a room out. Did you like it? Even most of the people I met from the areas of the world where it's grown do not seem to like it.

I tried it at the Dekalb Farmers Market in Atlanta. The fruit itself was kind of like a custard. It didn't taste bad but it does smell like dirty diapers.
    School's out. What did you expect?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I've been told that they'll arrest you for eating Durian fruit in enclosed spaces in Singapore.
    Stick to your guns.

Woodchuck

Turn Off Ads?