Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

Retired

A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

I'm sure this will be all over the local sports shows on Monday, it's already over on Lance's blog and they mentioned it on the post game show.

The UC website edited out all references to Bob Huggins, including his picture with Eric Hicks, from the original AP story they posted on the official UC athletics site after todays win over WVU.

Here is the story posted on the UC site.

http://ucbearcats.collegesports.com/...030406aab.html

March 4, 2006

Box Score | Quotes | Notes

CINCINNATI (AP) - Power forward Eric Hicks wiped away tears after the pre-game Senior Day ceremony, then scored 18 points Saturday, leading Cincinnati to a 78-75 victory over No. 16 West Virginia.

The Bearcats (19-11, 8-8 Big East) felt they needed a high-profile win to strengthen their credentials for the NCAA tournament. They earned it with big contributions from its seniors and two key free throws from its true freshman.

Point guard Devan Downey's two free throws with 1.3 seconds left clinched the win and completed his 16-point performance. Jihad Muhammad added 17.

West Virginia (20-9, 11-5 ) didn't have much at stake in its final regular-season game. The Mountaineers had already clinched third place in the Big East and were guaranteed a first-round bye in the conference tournament.

Kevin Pittsnoggle led the Mountaineers with 23 points, and Mike Gansey went 5-of-6 from behind the 3-point arc while scoring 20.

After Downey made his two clinching free throws, Hicks jumped into the student section.

West Virginia tried to overcome the Bearcats' emotion by getting the ball inside to the 6-foot-11 Pittsnoggle, who likes to shoot 3-pointers but could do more damage inside. Pittsnoggle is 5 inches taller than anyone on the Bearcats' front line.

He shook loose from the 6-foot-6 Hicks and made a layup that started a 9-0 run and put the Mountaineers up 16-12 and got the crowd grumbling.

Cincinnati's tight man-to-man defense started taking a toll, forcing the Mountaineers to rush their shots. The defense fueled a 15-2 spurt capped by Hicks' emphatic dunk, putting the Bearcats ahead to stay 33-23.

Muhammad hit a jumper and a pair of 3's during an 11-1 spurt that built the lead to 48-35 early in the second half.

A pair of 3's by Gansey cut it to 66-64 with 5:03 to go, setting a back-and-forth tone for the rest of the way. The Bearcats held on by going 3-of-5 from the free-throw line in the final 12 seconds.
    Here is the unedited version from the AP (the bolded and underlined areas are what UC removed)

CINCINNATI

(AP) - Power forward Eric Hicks wiped away tears after a pre-game embrace from ousted coach Bob Huggins, then scored 18 points Saturday, leading Cincinnati to a 78-75 victory over No. 16 West Virginia.

Huggins attended a game at the Bearcats' arena for the first time since he was forced out last August. He got a standing ovation and hugged the Bearcats' five seniors during pregame festivities - a surreal start to an important game for Cincinnati.

The Bearcats (19-11, 8-8 Big East) felt they needed a high-profile win to strengthen their credentials for the NCAA tournament. A team that has been in turmoil since Huggins' departure in August earned it with big contributions from its seniors and two key free throws from its true freshman.

Point guard Devan Downey's two free throws with 1.3 seconds left clinched the win and completed his 16-point performance. Jihad Muhammad added 17.

West Virginia (20-9, 11-5 ) didn't have much at stake in its final regular-season game. The Mountaineers had already clinched third place in the Big East and were guaranteed a first-round bye in the conference tournament.

Kevin Pittsnoggle led the Mountaineers with 23 points, and Mike Gansey went 5-of-6 from behind the 3-point arc while scoring 20.

The Bearcats' last home game showed they still haven't gotten beyond Huggins' ouster. He repeatedly got standing ovations from the capacity crowd, who also chanted for school president Nancy Zimpher to give interim coach Andy Kennedy a contract. It's still a program at a crossroads.

After Downey made his two clinching free throws, Hicks jumped into the student section and Kennedy got a hug from Huggins. Kennedy then thanked the fans for supporting the team through its tribulations, adding, "One last thing: Huggs, we love you, brother." Huggins was invited by Hicks, one of the five seniors who received framed photographs of themselves at midcourt during a pregame tribute. Huggins stood at an opposite end of the court while the seniors were introduced. Hicks then led the seniors over to Huggins, who embraced each of them while the crowd exulted. Hicks wiped away tears with his white warmup shirt after the embrace. Huggins dabbed a tear from the corner of his right eye. "I wanted to be here, but I didn't want to do anything they (the school) didn't want me to do," Huggins said.

West Virginia tried to overcome the Bearcats' emotion by getting the ball inside to the 6-foot-11 Pittsnoggle, who likes to shoot 3-pointers but could do more damage inside. Pittsnoggle is 5 inches taller than anyone on the Bearcats' front line.

He shook loose from the 6-foot-6 Hicks and made a layup that started a 9-0 run and put the Mountaineers up 16-12 and got the crowd grumbling.

Cincinnati's tight man-to-man defense - its trademark under Huggins -started taking a toll, forcing the Mountaineers to rush their shots. The defense fueled a 15-2 spurt capped by Hicks' emphatic dunk, putting the Bearcats ahead to stay 33-23.

Muhammad hit a jumper and a pair of 3's during an 11-1 spurt that built the lead to 48-35 early in the second half.

A 3's by Gansey cut it to 66-64 with 5:03 to go, setting a back-and-forth tone for the rest of the way. The Bearcats held on by going 3-of-5 from the free-throw line in the final 12 seconds.
    How childish and pathetic is that?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

That hug better be worth it Kennedy, it cost you the UC job.

And judging by the goingons in Clifton - it might not be a bad thing.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Retired

Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    That hug better be worth it Kennedy, it cost you the UC job.

And judging by the goingons in Clifton - it might not be a bad thing.
    AK was asked directly today if he wanted to be here next year, he didn't answer. I can't blame him if he doesn't want to work for petty idiots. Wait until Monday, this is going to be all over the place on the radio.

They might as well hire Tony Yates back and just wipe out the rest of the decade.

Sad.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Wow... how petty. AK will be a head coach somewhere.

What he accomplished this year as a first-year coach in a brand new--and exceedingly difficult--conference while dealing with key injuries heaped on top of the whole Huggins thing is amazing.

The man can coach.

It's not only petty, but I believe it's illegal.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Sounds more like a circus. Someone with good taste and a little bit of class would have respectfully stepped back despite the invitation. Talk about doing whatever you can to keep yourself in the limelight.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I've got no problem with it. It's their website--and their perogative. What's the big deal? AP stories get edited ALL THE TIME.

I really don't see why all the fuss. UC simply wanted a more matter-of-fact approach to the story. They didn't change any facts, they just left out some stuff that they'd rather not include. So?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Sounds more like a circus. Someone with good taste and a little bit of class would have respectfully stepped back despite the invitation. Talk about doing whatever you can to keep yourself in the limelight.
    Huggins was an invited guest of the seniors he recruited and coached, it has nothing to do with limelight. Despite the administrations best efforts the accomplishments of Bob Huggins at UC will not be erased, nor will he be forgotten. Perhaps if the administration had a bit of class they wouldn't stoop so low as to edit AP stories on their website, or not even arrange a Huggins appreciation day during the season so the fans can have a chance to say goodbye to the man who built a national program from nothing.

Huggins was supposed to walk on the floor with Hicks, but didn't. Here is a post from Dr. Jon Breiner, who's a professor at UC, on the matter which I feel sums it up pretty well.

Posted By: Jon Breiner
    March 4, 2006
    Ok, some of you Bearcat fans had your way. Eric Hicks asked Bob Huggins to walk out with him. A senior who has given us 4 years of heart. A student-athlete who has been a great student and athlete. He's represented the university well, and he asked his father figure to be part of his final moment playing in front of the home crowd. The guy that sold Eric on UC, and eventually Eric completely bought into him. Eric sees Huggins as one man who not only made a difference in his basketball life, but in his life.

Well, you did not want him to have it. You had to turn it around and make it all about Bob Huggins. Let me be blunt. You are an idiot. Huggins has always gone with his heart. If you really followed him and UC basketball you would know that. When Hicks asked Huggins to join him for senior day there is zero doubt in my mind that Hicks asked with his heart and Huggins answered yes with his heart. If Huggins was so calculating as some of you would have us believe, why did he get in so much trouble for following his heart for 16 years?

Some of have cried that if Huggins walks out with Hicks, Kennedy will no longer be considered for the job. It was this logic that made me realize how stupid this is. Huggins follows his heart, Zimpher follows her head. She knows that Huggins is there for his kids, not to thumb his nose at her. If she knows that, why don't you? You said you are a Bearcat fan. When did you stop paying attention? The word is that the athletic department had given their blessing. It is sad that you could not find it in your heart to give your blessing to a great Bearcat in his final days. No, it is still about you, not them. I suppose it has always been that way. If Kennedy is to be considered this will have absolutely no effect. You can try to justify your reasoning, but its faultiness continues to paint the true picture.

Some have said, Huggins is grandstanding again. Always trying to get on TV. Again you are showing either bias or ignorance, I'll let you decide which. When Huggins was interviewed during the XU game earlier in the year, he declined the interview request. He did not want it to be about him, but then the ESPN crew showed up with a camera in his box. Are you suggesting he should have turned his back and ignored them? That is not Huggins, he was polite, and since you heard the interview you know how great it was. It was not about him, but about how great AK and the kids were. You see this is not about him. It is more about you and your inability to resolve your own feelings of conflict. He realizes that. Why can't you? You say he needs to move on. He has. Pay attention. You need to move on. Do you think Huggins waited around for weeks hoping someone would ask him to do this? Huggins is a very smart man and if he wanted to, he could have easily arranged this, but he did not want to arrange this, he wanted to be there for his kid who asked him to be part of a special day. One last time, show how much he loves and supports Eric. But you decided Eric was not worthy of his special day, you had to try to dictate how he gets to spend it. I think we have seen the difference between love and hate very clearly the past few days.

Now today, I will be sad, sad for Eric because a senior did not get what he wanted, but a few loud, and ignorant fans did. You tell me who deserves it? I think Eric did, but you won. I hope you enjoy your trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    I've got no problem with it. It's their website--and their perogative. What's the big deal? AP stories get edited ALL THE TIME.

I really don't see why all the fuss. UC simply wanted a more matter-of-fact approach to the story. They didn't change any facts, they just left out some stuff that they'd rather not include. So?
    Then they should have written their own story instead of tampering with someone else's.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Then they should have written their own story instead of tampering with someone else's.
    It's not tampering. It happens all the time. It's okay to edit AP stories if certain criteria are met. Again, there was nothing misleading in the edit. It was just a more matter-of-fact approach.

You guys are making too much out of this, IMO.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Huggins was an invited guest of the seniors he recruited and coached, it has nothing to do with limelight. Despite the administrations best efforts the accomplishments of Bob Huggins at UC will not be erased, nor will he be forgotten. Perhaps if the administration had a bit of class they wouldn't stoop so low as to edit AP stories on their website, or not even arrange a Huggins appreciation day during the season so the fans can have a chance to say goodbye to the man who built a national program from nothing.

Huggins was supposed to walk on the floor with Hicks, but didn't. Here is a post from Dr. Jon Breiner, who's a professor at UC, on the matter which I feel sums it up pretty well.
    I recognized that he was invited in my post. He didn't have to accept and could have explained why to the players.

All things considered, it was a way for Huggins to thumb his nose at the UC Admin and remind everyone who the people want. And an appreciation day for a fired coach who went out on bad terms? That is just really not a realistic expectation.

Huggins needs to let the program move on. Yes, we all know that he built winning basketball teams, but the cost was pretty high in doing so, both to the University, the city, UC supporters and himself. Time to move on Bob.

Retired

I recognized that he was invited in my post. He didn't have to accept and could have explained why to the players.

All things considered, it was a way for Huggins to thumb his nose at the UC Admin and remind everyone who the people want. And an appreciation day for a fired coach who went out on bad terms? That is just really not a realistic expectation.

Huggins needs to let the program move on. Yes, we all know that he built winning basketball teams, but the cost was pretty high in doing so, both to the University, the city, UC supporters and himself. Time to move on Bob.
    Yes, Bob should never attend another game in UC history, ever. Today was not about Bob Huggins, it was about the seniors who wanted him to be there.

I don't think giving the fans, and that's what it's about, the fans, a chance to say goodbye is unrealistc at all. In fact, it would go a long way in mending the fences. This administration won't take that road though, no chance, instead they edit stories on their website and tell people to "get over it" when it's clear they have not. It's also the same reason that Nancy Zimpher will not be the President of UC 3 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Yes, Bob should never attend another game in UC history, ever. Today was not about Bob Huggins, it was about the seniors who wanted him to be there.

I don't think giving the fans, and that's what it's about, the fans, a chance to say goodbye is unrealistc at all. In fact, it would go a long way in mending the fences. This administration won't take that road though, no chance, instead they edit stories on their website and tell people to "get over it" when it's clear they have not. It's also the same reason that Nancy Zimpher will not be the President of UC 3 years from now.
    Nice red herring. He didn't just attend the game, he was the center of attention. If I fired a high level, high profile employee for cause, the last thing I'd be doing is throwing an appreciation party for them a few months later.

Retired

Nice red herring. He didn't just attend the game, he was the center of attention. If I fired a high level, high profile employee for cause, the last thing I'd be doing is throwing an appreciation party for them a few months later.
    He was the center of attention? I must have missed that, and I was at the game. He didn't go onto the floor as requested by Eric Hicks; the pre-game ceremonies are not even televised, even though you claim it was all a TV stunt for Huggins. I DVR’ed the game and Huggins was shown maybe twice and he refused to do any in game interviews or comments. The comments he gave to reporters after the game focused on the accomplishments of the seniors and how proud he is, and the great job Kennedy has done.

The center of attention today was 1) The seniors 2) Getting a win over WVU to get an at large bid. Everything else is just your personal bias looking for another opportunity to bash Bob Huggins.

Turn Off Ads?