Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

  1. #16
    Future Reds All Star TeamMorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    TeamBoone's basement
    Posts
    1,416

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    Some people really scare me! UC basketball is Huggins in MANY eyes and will remain that way for a long time. I am just happy that the real write up has been made public. Those who really do care will find the truth.

    The whole thing just sucks:thumbdown! He may not be the coach anymore this year but the team on the floor IS his as the seniors have been for 4 years! He recruited them. They could at least give him that for this season. Move on next year!
    Last edited by TeamMorris; 03-04-2006 at 11:12 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,928

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Nice red herring. He didn't just attend the game, he was the center of attention. If I fired a high level, high profile employee for cause, the last thing I'd be doing is throwing an appreciation party for them a few months later.
    The problem was, Huggins wasnt fired for cause. Had that been the case, he would have been fired after his DUI, not many months later. Huggins was fired because Nancy bought into the national, but wrong idea that UC is a bunch of street thugs who dont get degrees. Thanks to Huggins recruiting.

    Anyone who wants to complain about how Huggins showed up to stick it to Nancy is being a little outlandish. If Huggins really wanted to waste his time doing that, dont you think he could have afforded season tickets and shown up to most of the games? That would be a way to stick it to Nancy.

    As for what the fans want, I think you heard today what the fans want when they chanted "HIRE ANDY" over and over and over.

  4. #18
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,928

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    Oh, and if this was really about Bob Huggins, why is that that on every ESPN highlight of the game I have seen hasnot shown a single thing about Huggins being there? Becuase its not a big deal probably, except to those "fans" who hated Huggins for whatever reason they had, that probably wasnt a good one.

  5. #19
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,712

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    He was the center of attention? I must have missed that, and I was at the game. He didn't go onto the floor as requested by Eric Hicks; the pre-game ceremonies are not even televised, even though you claim it was all a TV stunt for Huggins. I DVR’ed the game and Huggins was shown maybe twice and he refused to do any in game interviews or comments. The comments he gave to reporters after the game focused on the accomplishments of the seniors and how proud he is, and the great job Kennedy has done.

    The center of attention today was 1) The seniors 2) Getting a win over WVU to get an at large bid. Everything else is just your personal bias looking for another opportunity to bash Bob Huggins.

    Where did I mention anything about a TV stunt? Here's what the article said happened:
    He got a standing ovation and hugged the Bearcats' five seniors during pregame festivities - a surreal start to an important game for Cincinnati.
    The Bearcats' last home game showed they still haven't gotten beyond Huggins' ouster. He repeatedly got standing ovations from the capacity crowd, who also chanted for school president Nancy Zimpher to give interim coach Andy Kennedy a contract. It's still a program at a crossroads.
    After Downey made his two clinching free throws, Hicks jumped into the student section and Kennedy got a hug from Huggins. Kennedy then thanked the fans for supporting the team through its tribulations, adding, "One last thing: Huggs, we love you, brother." Huggins was invited by Hicks, one of the five seniors who received framed photographs of themselves at midcourt during a pregame tribute. Huggins stood at an opposite end of the court while the seniors were introduced. Hicks then led the seniors over to Huggins, who embraced each of them while the crowd exulted. Hicks wiped away tears with his white warmup shirt after the embrace. Huggins dabbed a tear from the corner of his right eye. "I wanted to be here, but I didn't want to do anything they (the school) didn't want me to do," Huggins said.
    Now, someone may be biased here, but go ahead and do a review of how many times I have commented on any Huggins threads before you decide I'm taking another opportunity to bash Huggins. If you find any it will surprise me because I really just don't care and the whole thing was made into a circus from the time talk of his possible firing started. But the picture painted by the description in the article, which is all I have to go on with these events, sounds like he was very involved for an ousted coach.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  6. #20
    Baseball card addict MrCinatit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Piqua
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    technically a paper and/or website are legally allowed to edit a wire story, whether it be for room or to localize the story.
    ethically, however, this is a different story. much of the context of the story has been changed so much, the tone of the story has been changed. this was something very frowned upon when i was in the field of journalism.

  7. #21
    Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,933

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Where did I mention anything about a TV stunt? Here's what the article said happened:






    Now, someone may be biased here, but go ahead and do a review of how many times I have commented on any Huggins threads before you decide I'm taking another opportunity to bash Huggins. If you find any it will surprise me because I really just don't care and the whole thing was made into a circus from the time talk of his possible firing started. But the picture painted by the description in the article, which is all I have to go on with these events, sounds like he was very involved for an ousted coach.
    Kennedy made the comment on his own, how is that Huggins fault?

    The standing O that Huggins got was not on TV, it was before the game even started and occurred when he went to his seat. Bob is still loved by the vast majority of UC fans, what do you think they are going to do, boo him? There were no Huggins chants or anything else during the game, only "Hire Andy" chants. The seniors hugging Bob, also not on TV. When they walked over the senior day ceremonies at center court were actually over, they walked over to him on the sidelines because they wanted to do it. Kennedy's little off the cuff speech after the game wasn't on TV either, in addition to the Huggins remark he also thanked the fans for their support of the program and of him personally, at which point many started chanting "Hire Andy!"

    So much for Huggins getting the limelight and being the center of attention eh? Maybe, just maybe, he went for the players he recruited who asked him to be there. Imagine that!

  8. #22
    Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,933

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    FYI, UC has taken down the chopped up AP story and now has a different one up.

  9. #23
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,712

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    With all due respect, R4Life, I did not say one thing about using TV to accomplish anything, so your argument based on that premise falls apart. All I know is that the writer of the article made a big deal out of a fired coach's participation in Senior Day. You see loyalty, I see showmanship. Now, I do not know Huggins' motives anymore than you do, so really neither one of us have an argument on those grounds, either. So, I'll bow out at this point as more evidence that I really could care less.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  10. #24
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    I've got no problem with it. It's their website--and their perogative. What's the big deal? AP stories get edited ALL THE TIME.

    I really don't see why all the fuss. UC simply wanted a more matter-of-fact approach to the story. They didn't change any facts, they just left out some stuff that they'd rather not include. So?
    Perhaps they should leave out all references to Huggins then. Perhaps they should take down all the conference championship banners during the last 15 years. Perhaps they should take down that Final Four banner they got and give back the money they earned from that. Maybe they should take down all the NCAA banners that they got over the last 15 years and give back that money as well. And the capper should be to go through the record books and just delete all references and records belonging to Huggins and his players over his tenure. Goodbye Kenyon Martin. Adios Steve Logan. Sayonara Danny Fortsan. After all, you want to be consistent about a thing like this.
    Last edited by Chip R; 03-05-2006 at 12:30 AM.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  11. #25
    Bunn-O-matic max venable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Posts
    2,745

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Perhaps they should leave out all references to Huggins then. Perhaps they should take down all the conference championship banners during the last 15 years. Perhaps they should take down that Final Four banner they got and give back the money they earned from that. Maybe they should take down all the NCAA banners that they got over the last 15 years and give back that money as well. And the capper should be to go through the record books and just delete all references and records belonging to Huggins and his players over his tenure. Goodbye Kenyon Martin. Adios Steve Logan. Sayonara Danny Fortsan. After all, you want to be consistent about a thing like this.
    O----M---G!

    It's a summary about a BASKETBALL GAME! That's it! That's all they wanted. Should they change the box score so it somehow reflects the fact that Huggins was in the house? It's just a game summary. It's totally their perogative to leave out the stuff about Huggins. I would have done the same thing. They're not denying the fact that he was there, that he coached those kids, etc. I don't blame them at all. What is the big deal, people?

    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

  12. #26
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    A lot of us do care... a whole lot.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  13. #27
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    What is the big deal, people?

    That's a good question, max. What is the big deal? Why edit the story and remove all references to Huggins? Sounds like UC is the one making it a big deal. And I thought the Reds were bad at PR. max, they made the story of the game the big story. It should have been a nice day for UC. Senior Day. Big win over a nationally ranked opponent. Probably sealed up an NCAA bid for a team that no one gave an ice cube's chance in hell to make the NCAAs back in October. They are going to get ready to play in their first Big East tournament at the Mecca of basketball, Madison Square Garden, in New York City. National TV exposure not only for the program but for the school as well. But no one's going to be talking about that now. Instead people are going to be talking about the edited story and why the UC administration is so obsessed with Bob Huggins. They won, he lost. He seems to have gotten over it but they haven't. We are making a big deal out of it because they are. If they had left the article as it was, there would be no story. Bob Huggins in attendance was news. Anyone who was paying attention knew he was there. Yet they chose to censor the article and decide for themselves what was news and what was not. If a fire had broken out in the arena and they had to clear everyone out for a while should they have taken that out too? Perhaps they should have gone further and said UC won by 20 and Eric Hicks scored 50 points. If you're going to start censoring news, why not just go all the way and make up stuff. Perhaps UC should hire the editors of Pravda from back when the Soviet Union was still around. They were experts at censorship.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  14. #28
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,054

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    A lot of us do care... a whole lot.
    Word.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  15. #29
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,584

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    Do they still run people out of town on a rail? That's what they need to do with Nancy Z
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  16. #30
    Bunn-O-matic max venable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Posts
    2,745

    Re: A new low: UC edits all Huggins references out of AP story posted on it's site

    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25