Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encarnacion off to a hot start

Encarnacion off to a hot start

Wow is he having a nice spring so far or what?! So far he is hitting .555 with three homers and six RBIs. Keep it up Eddy!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Encarnacion off to a hot start

I didn't see any other threads about this. I may have missed it. I figured everybody would be jumping up and down that he got a hot start. Hope he keeps it up all spring to put aside any thoughts of him not being the everyday thirdbasemen.

Notables noticing Edwin

Notables noticing Edwin
    Encarnacion getting clutch hits off league's best pitchers
    By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

TAMPA, Fla. | Edwin Encarnacion isn't picking on some nondescript low-level minor-league pitching wannabes from Punxatawney, Poughkeepsie or Peoria.

His home run in his first at-bat Friday was against Minnesota notable Brad Radke. Before the day was over he had two homers, a double and three RBI.

His home run in his first at-bat Saturday was against New York Yankees even-more-notable Randy "The Big Unit" Johnson. And he singled off Johnson his next time up, driving in another run.

Encarnacion drove all three runs the Reds secured off Johnson in a 4-1 victory.

"Who is that kid? He's a pretty good hitter," said Johnson. "It would have been a good day for me if he hadn't shown up."

Is the 23-year-old Reds third baseman familiar with the The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous Pitchers like Radke and Johnson? Oh, yes.

"When I was a little kid and I saw Randy Johnson pitch I thought I would be scared to bat against him, the way he throws," said Encarnacion. "But when I feel good at the plate, like now, I don't care who is pitching.

"I came to camp ready to play and the last couple of days I'm seeing the ball real good," he added.

While third base is Encarnacion's to lose, manager Jerry Narron prefers not to give young players jobs on paper plates. He wants them to earn it. Over the first three games, Encarnacion's statement is clarion clear, "Take it away if you can."

He said he came to camp with a prepared attitude, "Because I have worked hard in the winter, but I would have done that if the job was mine or if it wasn't. I'll always work hard."

Aaron Harang, the projected Opening Day starter, worked two innings and threw 28 pitches while holding the Yankees scoreless on two hits.

It was Dave Williams who was The Miracle Worker. When last seen, Williams was giving up five runs on four hits that included a three-run home run in the first inning to the Korean Kia Tigers.

On Saturday, he gave up only one run to the Yankees in two innings despite:

(A) Filling the bases with no outs in his first inning, then getting a pop-up and a double play.

(B) Giving up a double and two singles in his second inning, then getting another inning-ending double play.

For his two innings, Williams gave up one run, five hits, walked one and struck out one.

Ryan Wagner, serving as Saturday's closer, walked the first batter in the ninth, the next hitter reached on an error, then he retired three in a row for a save.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...05redsweb.html

Re: Encarnacion off to a hot start

It's good that EdE is off to a good start but let's not get to excited, it is only the first week of spring training games. If he keeps it up through the spring then great but we should get excited until he gets off to a good start during the regular season.

Meanwhile Dave Williams does his best to LOSE the 5th spot in the rotation.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I am going to get excited to the extent that it means that RA won't get the job. I am not excited because I think he will hit 84 homeruns this year, but that it hopefully means he will get the regular playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    I am going to get excited to the extent that it means that RA won't get the job. I am not excited because I think he will hit 84 homeruns this year, but that it hopefully means he will get the regular playing time.
    I'm not convinced that this won't be like last year, where Felipe outplayed RA in the spring and still lost the starting SS job.

Reds fans aren't the only ones predicting good things this year for Encarnacion. Baseball Prospectus says he should crank out 22 homers, drive in 75 and have a line of .275/.344/.485. Not too shabby!
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."
    Bob Lemon

I think Edwin will get the 3rd base job, but as much as I think he has that job, I think Womack has the 2nd base job. Ugh.

They had a nice little blurb about Encarnacion in today's NY Times mentioning how he ruined what would have been a pretty good start for Randy Johnson.

TAMPA, Fla., March 4 — Randy Johnson's first spring start might have gone just fine, but a hitter he had never heard of intervened.

Johnson worked three innings and allowed three runs — all driven in by Edwin Encarnacion, a 23-year-old third baseman for the Cincinnati Reds who hit .232 last year. Encarnacion hit a two-run homer in the first inning Saturday and added a run-scoring double in the third.

The Reds beat the Yankees, 4-1, at Legends Field to drop the Yankees' spring record to 0-3.

"Had Encarnacion not shown up, it probably would have been a pretty good game," Johnson said. "Who is that guy?"

Johnson worked with catcher Jorge Posada, who did not catch any of his starts after July 1 last season. Posada went to the mound twice: once to give Johnson a break and once to remind him about his mechanics. Posada and Johnson are trying to communicate better this season.

"We got the first one out of the way, and we'll try to build on it," Posada said. "I'm really happy we are trying to get on the same page."

Before the game, the injured starter Carl Pavano threw off a mound for the first time since August. Pavano, who has been slowed by lower-back stiffness, threw 30 pitches and will throw again Monday.

"I felt strong," he said. "My body's working better now."
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Hopefully he keeps it up and Narron has no choice then to start him.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by steig
    It's good that EdE is off to a good start but let's not get to excited, it is only the first week of spring training games. If he keeps it up through the spring then great but we should get excited until he gets off to a good start during the regular season.
    Why is it not ok to get excited at EE's hot start, but it is ok to moan about Williams' bad start?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Why is it not ok to get excited at EE's hot start, but it is ok to moan about Williams' bad start?
    Becuase people enjoy complaining more than they do being excited.

Even Marty had good things to say about Encarnacion today. That'll probably jinx the kid.
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."
    Bob Lemon

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Because TB, you are one of the few registered optimists in the crowd.

There's just way too much against the kid from a field managers' standpoint. I've campaigned all over this board how EdE should get the job in 2006 and find out if he's Mike Schmidt or Kelly Paris.

But its a foregone conclusion that Narron prefers veteran prescense and as along as the number 33 has 'Aurilia' stiched above it, EdE could hit .900 and he still wouldn't be the Opening Day 3rd sacker.

This kid's the real deal. Let the kid play and progress. The only thing he'll pick up from Aurilia if he gets too close, is Richie's professional whining.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?