Thread: Stupid quote by Tony Womack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stupid quote by Tony Womack

And a stupid article by Lonnie Wheeler.

Best bet at second
    Womack has winning history

Column by The Post's Lonnie Wheeler

SARASOTA, Fla. - Of the 62 players in the Reds training camp, all but two lefties and a veteran catcher, it seems, are trying to win the starting second-base job. The smart money is on Tony Womack.

Other than an extra outfielder spot, and maybe the bunt sign, it's about the only thing to be determined here. But the suspense is killing no one.

It appears that the youngest candidates, Ray Olmedo and William Bergolla, aren't serious candidates. Rich Aurilia, who finished last season playing well at second, has started one Grapefruit game at third and another at shortstop. Duty could call him anywhere, as it so often does Ryan Freel. At 35, Frank Menechino has been a regular only once in his eight American League seasons.

Womack is a year older, and more thoroughly traveled and, it would seem, more thoroughly considered. His qualifications include running and winning, in either order.

In 2001, he started for the Arizona team that somehow won the World Series. He also started for the Cardinals when they went to the Series in 2004, and has been to the playoffs on three other occasions in the past five years, including last season with the Yankees.

All of this makes Womack, at 5 feet 9, sort of a sawed-off Reggie Sanders, with dirtier trousers. Less the home runs, of course. His last one was two Julys ago against the Reds' Todd Van Poppel, who never met a batter he couldn't turn into Harmon Killebrew.

There's one more thing Womack doesn't much of, which makes him persona non productive among the statistically fashionable. For all of the running he does - three straight times during the late '90s, he led the National League in stolen bases - he doesn't walk much.

"People just keep throwing stats in your face - like, this guy has a better on-base percentage," said Womack in the Reds' spring training clubhouse, where he dresses between Menechino and Jacob Cruz on Roster Spot Row. "Who cares about on-base percentage? It's a matter of where you go at the end of the year. I haven't been home after the end of the year in five out of the last seven years, and I don't plan on going this year.

"I don't play for those people. I play for me, and I play to help my team win and go to the postseason and become champions."

When Dan O'Brien traded for Womack in December, the word was that, like Freel, the veteran would provide speed and versatility, serving in as many as five spots. Feistiness wasn't mentioned, but Womack's large supply of it has him swinging hard for second base, with at least temporary disregard for other positions.

"I'm not an outfielder. I'm not a utility guy," he stated, in spite of having been both at various times, as well as a shortstop. "I'm just trying to win the second base job, and I don't think about anything else. I'll only think about something else if I don't win the job."

He won the same job with the Yankees last year, then, batting only .249, lost it to publicized rookie Robinson Cano. Womack was then recast as a general fill-in, but it failed to change his own sense of role.

"That's just the Yankees," he said. "They do whatever they want to do. Unfortunately, I was the odd man out.

"The Yankees took the year away from me, basically. That's how I felt. They took the year away, and it could have been done differently. I just had to deal with it. I dealt with it, and I'm here now and I'm smiling every day."

There's a pretty evident reason for that. Manager Jerry Narron's kind of player - a thinking veteran who handles his situations - matches up nicely with the scouting report on the little Virginian. It's probably no coincidence that Narron has already deployed Freel and Womack together at the top of his lineup.

If that would occur during the regular season, it would place Freel at third base or in the outfield. It would also tandem two breakneck players who are capable of stealing 100 bases between them.

"The Marlins did, it," Womack observed. "They had two speed guys (Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo) at the top of the big boys.

"Speed kills. You can't teach it. It makes it easier for the big boys below us. They don't have to worry about the 3-run homer all the time. Just manufacture a run and make it easier for the big boys to swing the bat. If it goes out, it goes out; but if it doesn't, we still have a chance to score a run."

The Reds last year scored runs in greater number than any other National League team; but it didn't follow that they, therefore, possessed the league's best offense. They were a big-bang team that could be too easily subdued on days when the balls weren't clearing the walls. The runs they scored were not win-effective.

Womack, on the other hand, has been that, if nothing else.

And there's an opening at second base. Do the math.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....603060336/1027

Re: Stupid quote by Tony Womack

Yes, a stupid quote (actually more than one) from Woemack and a stupid article from Wheeler. :thumbdown
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Who cares about on-base percentage?
    Yeah Tony, who cares about OBP? I mean, why should we care about the most important offensive stat. The stat that represents how ofton you get on base and help your team scores runs and win games.

Speed kills
    What good is speed when you suck and can't get on base to utilize that speed?

The runs they scored were not win-effective.
    You're right, Lonnie. The offense was the reason they didn't win many games last year. The pitching had nothing to do with it.

Spirit of 1976

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Yeah Tony, who cares about OBP? I mean, why should we care about the most important offensive stat. The stat that represents how ofton you get on base and help your team scores runs and win games.

What good is speed when you suck and can't get on base to utilize that speed?

You're right, Lonnie. The offense was the reason they didn't win many games last year. The pitching had nothing to do with it.

If Tony Womack worked for Billy Beane or Theo Epstein, you'd better believe he'd care about OBP. I think this quote is a foreshadowing of the internal war that baseball will have in the upcoming years - the jocks versus the geeks.
    Since the geeks sign the checks, the jocks had better play ball, and yes the terrible pun was intended.

I bet Narron loves those quotes

Grady little too
    Go Gators!

Somebody needs to explain to Mr. Womack that speed can't kill when you're sitting on the bench. Furthermore, just because you're not the guy on base, doesn't mean our sluggers shouldn't be taking a balanced approach. If they are taking the wrong approach, we need to fix them. You are not the solution to their problem.

Also, explain to him that the reason the Yankees made the post season (not going home...) is because they were smart enough to bench him in favor of Cano...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    The runs they scored were not win-effective.

That is perhaps the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

This may not be popular, but I have to defend Womack...how many times to you hear a player diss individual acheivements due to team failure, i.e. "I don't care about my MVP, I just want to get us a championship, etc."

I think it was in that vain that Womack was speaking that's all. Lets not jump all over the guy for this. All he was saying was he wants Cincy in the postseason, nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels
    This may not be popular, but I have to defend Womack...how many times to you hear a player diss individual acheivements due to team failure, i.e. "I don't care about my MVP, I just want to get us a championship, etc."

I think it was in that vain that Womack was speaking that's all. Lets not jump all over the guy for this. All he was saying was he wants Cincy in the postseason, nothing else.
    It looked to me like he was saying "I'm a good player because I've been on good teams."

Of course, he then also railed the Yankees for benching him. I think he missed the logical disconnect there. He wants to have his cake and eat it too.

I'm tasty AND low in fat!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    He wants to have his cake and eat it too.
    What else would you do with cake?

Come to think of it, maybe we should let Womack have his cake. Lots and lots of cake so that he gets fat and Narron will cut him. "No, Tony, please help yourself to a 2nd slice. Would you like some ice cream with that?"

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    That is perhaps the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
    I absolutely agree. Wow. Win-Effective? What kinda....

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I absolutely agree. Wow. Win-Effective? What kinda....
    It's easy. A run scored by a sac fly means more than a run scored by a double or home run.

Wheeler and Womack are a match made in heaven.

Dumb and dumber.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Haunted by walks

Didn't Steel or WOY show that the Reds' league-leading runs were actually well-balanced? If so, we need to politely and firmly refute this notion that the runs weren't "win-effective." It can't be allowed to stand as the "everybody knows" public mindset that these things get turned into.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    Didn't Steel or WOY show that the Reds' league-leading runs were actually well-balanced? If so, we need to politely and firmly refute this notion that the runs weren't "win-effective." It can't be allowed to stand as the "everybody knows" public mindset that these things get turned into.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing to make a statement like that with no backup or source for his opinion.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?