Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Milton tidbit...

Eric Milton tidbit...

I was watching that quiz show on ESPN tonight... Stump the Staub I think it's called. Wow! Are those guys ever good!

Anyway, did you guys know that Eric Milton once pitched a complete, no-hit game? I was astounded.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Eric Milton tidbit...

Yeah, the Schuab is amazing. He's like a living sports almanac.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I actually remember when that happened

Here you go TB

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/09111999.shtml

Looking at that link, I forgot the irony of ironies.

He pitched that night against Ramon Ortiz
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 03-06-2006 at 12:23 AM.

WAGS

well look at that, we had the losing pitcher on our team too

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B09110MIN1999.htm

I remember that game vividly, especially the backlash in the days following the no-hitter because of the Angels lineup. It was September, and like teams normally do when they're out of contention, Anaheim trotted out a lineup of reserves and September callups. Other than Troy Glaus, the Angels pretty much had a AAA lineup out there against Milton.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I always thought that was the entire reason the Reds purchased him. Was hard pressed to come up with any other reason. (I'm not even being sarcastic, sadly.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Anyway, did you guys know that Eric Milton once pitched a complete, no-hit game? I was astounded.
    Bumpus Jones

Hitting speeds of 94

Those were the days
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B09110MIN1999.htm

I remember that game vividly, especially the backlash in the days following the no-hitter because of the Angels lineup. It was September, and like teams normally do when they're out of contention, Anaheim trotted out a lineup of reserves and September callups. Other than Troy Glaus, the Angels pretty much had a AAA lineup out there against Milton.
    Regardless, it's still quite an accomplishment. I've not seen other pitchers in the same situation do it very often.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Yep. Just goes to show you that, at one time, Eric Milton really wasn't the worst pitcher in the universe. Where have all the good times gone?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Didn't Bud Smith throw a no hitter for the Cardinals in 2001 as a rookie? If you don't know, he was an average prospect, who fell apart physically and then was traded as part of the package for Scott Rolen. I don't think he has (or will) ever make it back to the majors.

No hitters for pitchers are grand slams for hitters. Sometimes even Fernando Tatis can hit 2 in the same inning. Doesn't make him a cleanup hitter... or even a starter...

I really hope his leg is better this year...I know it is a long shot but if his leg is better, he has to be a MUCH better pitcher. I feel bad for him.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Yep. Just goes to show you that, at one time, Eric Milton really wasn't the worst pitcher in the universe. Where have all the good times gone?
    David Lee Roth is wondering the same thing
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Didn't Bud Smith throw a no hitter for the Cardinals in 2001 as a rookie? If you don't know, he was an average prospect, who fell apart physically and then was traded as part of the package for Scott Rolen. I don't think he has (or will) ever make it back to the majors.

No hitters for pitchers are grand slams for hitters. Sometimes even Fernando Tatis can hit 2 in the same inning. Doesn't make him a cleanup hitter... or even a starter...
    I don't know ifyou can compare the two. It's much easier to hit a grand slam then get a no hitter as to do get a no hitter you have to get 27 outs. To hit a grand slam it's just one swing of a bat at the right time. But, I see what you are trying to say.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I was present at a game where Jose Jiminez threw a no hitter - just weeks before he was demoted to the minor leagues.

Mediocre pitchers can have an outstanding night from time to time.

Turn Off Ads?