Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Kenny

Brian Kenny

Am I the only one who thinks Brian Kenny from ESPN is a great baseball announcer?

I've been listening to his broadcast Spring Training games the last few days, and I have to say I have came away impressed. On more than one occasion I have heard him mention on-base percentage, OPS, and WHIP when talking about a player. Those are stats I love to hear while listening or watching a game. I hope ESPN has him doing quite a few regular season games this season...also wouldn't mind seeing him on Baseball Tonight some.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Boiler up!

Re: Brian Kenny

when he hosts the hot list on espn news those are the stats he talks about when discussing players with analysts also

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Am I the only one who thinks Brian Kenny from ESPN is a great baseball announcer?

I've been listening to his broadcast Spring Training games the last few days, and I have to say I have came away impressed. On more than one occasion I have heard him mention on-base percentage, OPS, and WHIP when talking about a player. Those are stats I love to hear while listening or watching a game. I hope ESPN has him doing quite a few regular season games this season...also wouldn't mind seeing him on Baseball Tonight some.

Word out of Bristol is that Brian Kenny is using Spring Training as a two pronged attacked: On the job training and an audition. Look for guys like Harold Reynolds, Karl Ravich, Dave Campbell and John Kruk to do games for ESPN down the road along with Kenny. Jon Miller and Joe Morgan keep getting increasingly lower and lower ratings on Sunday nights.

Today sounded like he really had a thing for Marte, but yeah I think he is pretty good.

I heard a little bit of Kenny this afternoon and I enjoyed him. Hopefully ESPN realizes Kenny and some of their other guys may be quite a bit better than some of the guys they have broadcast games now (read: Joe Morgan and Steve Phillips).

Then again, any company that charges money to read articles by Joe Morgan and Steve Phillips has a lot more balls than I do. I don't think I could do it with a straight face.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I really like listening to Jon Miller. I think his voice is great for the games. Maybe I have gotten used to our announcers and I don't listen to games for insight, I listen to hear them get called. A game can be great to listen to if the voice is right, and I know some might disagree with me, but I don't like listening to Dan Hoard or Steve Stewart doing play by play. I just think their voices are terrible. Give me a good singer, and I'll show you a good play-by-play announcer.

I could handle Wednesday Night games with Brian Kenny and Soup Campbell.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

ESPN has announced that Gammons will be added to the Sunday night game this year. He'll be in the booth and also be in the stands during the game.

Maybe we'll see him getting a call from Leatherpants during the broadcast!

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I really like listening to Jon Miller. I think his voice is great for the games. Maybe I have gotten used to our announcers and I don't listen to games for insight, I listen to hear them get called. A game can be great to listen to if the voice is right, and I know some might disagree with me, but I don't like listening to Dan Hoard or Steve Stewart doing play by play. I just think their voices are terrible. Give me a good singer, and I'll show you a good play-by-play announcer.
    I agree with you, I don't mind Jon Miller. He has a nice voice.

But I'd much rather listen to Steve Stewart on the radio than the long droaning silences we usually get from The Old Left-Hander!

Quote Originally Posted by scounts22
    I agree with you, I don't mind Jon Miller. He has a nice voice.

But I'd much rather listen to Steve Stewart on the radio than the long droaning silences we usually get from The Old Left-Hander!

haha...I do agree. But Joe doesn't exactly have a nice voice either.

The only thing that gets under my skin in regards to Jon Miller is his pronounciation of certain names.

Timo Pear-ez

Rafeal Four-call

I like his calls on double plays where on the turn to first for the second out he emphasizes "two!"

For the most part, I like him.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Kenny is one of the few ESPNews anchors to actually stand out to me. He appears to be open to new ideas, conducts entertaining and informative interviews and brings a certain energy to broadcasts. I haven't heard him doing baseball play by play but I think he certainly deserves a bigger role at ESPN.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Kenny usually has Rob Neyer or Joe Sheehan on for the Hot List on ESPNews during the mid afternoon, and doesn't sound remotely out of place when talking about baseball stats (although his fillins do sound quite ridiculous on the same subjects).

Worth watching if you're around. It's really the only ESPN I watch anymore.

Bryan Kenny is a great,been watching him hosting Espn's Friday night Fights for a few years.I've been impressed with his baseball coverage.Go to espn.com and search Brian Kenny vs.Floyd Mayweather and see him go toe to toe with the pound for pound best fighter in the world,one heckuva verbal clash.lol
    ''Pretty Boy Floyd trades punches with Brian Kenny''
    Last edited by Jr's Boy; 03-07-2006 at 02:29 AM.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy
    Bryan Kenny is a great,been watching him hosting Espn's Friday night Fights for a few years.I've been impressed with his baseball coverage.Go to espn.com and search Brian Kenny vs.Floyd Mayweather and see him go toe to toe with the pound for pound best fighter in the world,one heckuva verbal clash.lol
    ''Pretty Boy Floyd trades punches with Brian Kenny''
    I love how Mayweather dropped the old "You've never been in a fight so you know nothing about boxing" asinine line on Kenny.

that was good for a laugh. Thanks

Turn Off Ads?