Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kirby Puckett has died...

Kirby Puckett has died...

Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett died Monday, a day after suffering a stroke at his Arizona home, a spokeswoman for St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Scottsdale, Ariz., said.

The 44-year-old Puckett, who led the Twins to two World Series titles before his career was cut short by glaucoma, was stricken Sunday morning at his Arizona home.

"This is a sad day for the Minnesota Twins, Major League Baseball and baseball fans everywhere," Twins owner Carl Pohland said. "Kirby's impact on the Twins organization, state of Minnesota and the Upper Midwest is significant and goes well beyond his role in helping the Twins win two world championships."

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kirby Puckett has died...

Story from ESPN:

Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett died Monday, a day after suffering a stroke at his Arizona home, a spokeswoman for St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Scottsdale, Ariz., said.

The 44-year-old Puckett, who led the Twins to two World Series titles before his career was cut short by glaucoma, was stricken Sunday morning at his Arizona home.

"This is a sad day for the Minnesota Twins, Major League Baseball and baseball fans everywhere," Twins owner Carl Pohland said. "Kirby's impact on the Twins organization, state of Minnesota and the Upper Midwest is significant and goes well beyond his role in helping the Twins win two world championships."

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Very sad. Words are hard to come by at the moment. A great player.

Prayers to his family.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

wow. this comes to a surprise. terrible news. he was always one of my favorites. great personality, great player. someone you do not see come along every day.

Sad...I know the guy might not have been the person that people believed him to be, but in the 1980's, he was one of the most popular players in the game. My prayers are with him, his family, and his fans.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Sad...I know the guy might not have been the person that people believed him to be, but in the 1980's, he was one of the most popular players in the game. My prayers are with him, his family, and his fans.
    What did you mean by that 1st part.

Man, he was soooo young.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Ditto. What a tragedy. 44 years old. Makes arguing about baseball seem awfully trivial...

A very sad day for baseball.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Very sad, indeed. Prayers to his family.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

"...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Oh man, this is horrible.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Too young
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1
    What did you mean by that 1st part.

Man, he was soooo young.
    I believe he is reffering the piece that came out in SI about 3 years ago, that the image that Kirby portrayed off the field during his playing days, was not exactly the real Kirby.

But this is not a time to reharsh the bad in a man, perhaps another day, rest in Peace Kirby, rest in peace.

RIP Kirby, you were a heckuva ballplayer.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I found this very interesting...

Jr. visited Puckett's hospital room both late last night and earlier this afternoon, I had no idea they were that close of friends.

Here's the story from Marc's blog:

RIP, Kirby Puckett

SARASOTA -- There was a lot of talk buzzing through baseball circles this afternoon that Kirby Puckett's stroke was far more serious than most of Sunday's reports seemed to indicate. Tonight comes news that Pucket has died at age 44.

Reds GM Wayne Krivsky spent a good portion of his day calling Twins contacts, trying to stay apprised of the situation. I'll post some thoughts from him later.

Ken Griffey Jr. visited Puckett's hospital room in Phoenix late last night and was back at the hospital this afternoon. He, too, spent the day trying to track down updates on his friend.

It just seems like the bad news has been flowing over the last week. I hope this is the end of it. My best wishes go out to Puckett's family and friends.

Turn Off Ads?