Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kirby Puckett has died...

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Kirby Puckett has died...

First million dollar player.

Sad day, both his career, and his life were cut way short.

RIP Kirby.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsandrails
    His 45th birthday would have been next Tuesday.
    That's what I thought. However, Espn's home page is erroneously (I think) listing his birth year as 1960.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Puckett was a joy to watch because he brought his own joy to his play. The Happy Warrior. R.I.P.
    I'm aware of the stories that Rem cited, but this just seems to me not to be the right time to bring his reported flaws up.
    Sava raises a more interesting issue. I have no idea regarding the possibility that Puckett was on the juice, but his power surge in his third season could've happened without chemical enhancement and I am aware of no evidence otherwise. Unfortunately, as a result of the lack of testing of players during what may come to be called the "steroid era", just about every player, fair or not, may be subject to such suspicions.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Worth The Wait

My all-time favorite non-Red baseball player. I too, was a bit disappointed when the SI article came out a few years ago, but then again, we really don't know what happens behind closed doors. All I know is that Kirby and Jack Buck gave me one of my very first lasting memories in baseball. He will be missed.

Worth The Wait

Sorry for another thread: More on Kirby

I know we already have one Kirby Puckett thread going, but this is VERY important to me and I wanted to share it with everyone.

www.edkleese.blogspot.com

What we do know is that Kirby's body started breaking down in his mid-30's.
    He got hit in the eye with a fastball and developed glaucoma. That doesn't qualify as "his body started breaking down." The guy put up an .894 OPS in his last full season at age 35.

I think we're a little too quick to start chasing the steroids bugaboo.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by redsandrails
    His 45th birthday would have been next Tuesday.

Anyways, this is really sad. Poor guy was apparently 300 lbs and maybe 5'6" (some say 5'6" and others say 5'8"). Regardless, at that height and weight his health was a serious concern.
    There is lesson to be learned for all of us and Redsandrails touched on it above. Seeing recent pictures of Kirby show that he absolutely ballooned after he retired. He was well over 300 lbs and was a stroke waiting to happen. Folks take care of yourself and don't encourage an early end like Mr Puckett did.

I don't know about steroids but I do know he was extremely obese and that can kill. I think it's safe to say that he had a hard time dealing with life after baseball and he never dealt with the loss of adulation he enjoyed as a player.

I think it's safe to say that he had a hard time dealing with life after baseball and he never dealt with the loss of adulation he enjoyed as a player
    That probably had a lot to do with the manner in which his career ended. He still had a lot of good playing days ahead of him, but those were taken away by a freak accident. That must have gnawed at him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Re: Sorry for another thread: More on Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin
    I know we already have one Kirby Puckett thread going, but this is VERY important to me and I wanted to share it with everyone.

www.edkleese.blogspot.com
    Good stuff ED
    Go Gators!

Worth The Wait

Thanks Krono--it hit me hard today.

Here is a picture I found of Puckett in 2005

He became quite large and unhealthy. RIP Puck

http://woolis.com/images/Fanfest2005...kett&Lantz.jpg

Turn Off Ads?