Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 homers not enough for Narron

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

3 homers not enough for Narron

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...snotesweb.html

3 homers not enough for Narron

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, Fla. — It isn't that Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron is unappreciative of outstanding accomplishments, sometimes he is a tough critic, and admits it.

For instance, how about those three home runs in two games by third baseman Edwin Encarnacion?

"I was disappointed he struck out with the bases loaded (on a 3-and-2 pitch) against the Yankees Sunday," said Narron. "That's when he has to put the ball in play."

Narron paused and smiled.

"I guess that's kind of nit-picking of a guy who hit three home runs in two days," he said. "He is having a good spring. He is an intelligent kid. He hit two homers (Friday against the Twins) and his second homer was a great at-bat. He fouled off several good pitches before he homered."

What Narron likes most is that he saw Encarnacion when he was 18 years old, a year after he signed with Texas, Narron's first year as manager of the Rangers.

"We put him out there with major-league players and from the first day he stepped on the field he showed poise and confidence and wasn't intimated," said Narron. "And he hasn't changed one bit since that day."

Wilson's loop-de-loop

Paul Wilson calls it a roller coaster ride, "And we're past the big hill, but we still have some small hills, corkscrews and loop-de-loops left."

Wilson threw 50 warm-up pitches Sunday morning, then 30 pitches to coach Mike Stefanski, "And he took me deep (homers) twice, he really did," said Wilson.

"That's exaggerated," said Stefanski. "I took 10 swings and hit two good."

Wilson is on the same program as if he is part of a five-day rotation — pitch, rest a day, play long-toss and do light throwing on the third day, take the fourth day off, then throw 80 or so pitches as if it was a game.

"We want Paul back on April 1," said manager Jerry Narron. "If he can't make it April 1, then April 2. If not April 2, then April 3."

In other words, there is not timetable for Wilson as he attempts to come back from shoulder surgery.

The magic of Yogi

Manager Jerry Narron enjoyed seeing Yogi Berra at Legends Field when the Reds played the New York Yankees Sunday and said, "I tried to rub up against him a few times for luck. The guy has appeared in more World Series games than anybody in history."

Narron said Berra showed up for a game Narron managed the Texas Rangers and he told Lee Stevens, "Try to rub up against Yogi. He might be the luckiest baseball player in the world with all those World Series appearances.

Stevens was a doubter, but playfully bumped against Yogi before the game, making certain Narron saw it, to appease him.

"True story. Stevens hit three home runs that night," said Narron. Milton is antsy

Pitcher Eric Milton is restless to face hitters, but he still feels some grabbiness in his calf, which he injured during stretching exercises while running backwards.

He threw eight minutes on the side Sunday and said, "I have no problems throwing. But I can feel the calf pull. As long as I feel something, they won't let me face hitters because they won't it to completely heal so it doesn't linger.

Milton hopes he'll pitch Tuesday, "Because I need to face some hitters and not fall too far behind."

Dunn in left

With left fielder Wily Mo Pena off to the World Baseball Classic, it gave Narron an opportunity Sunday to move first baseman Adam Dunn back to left field and insert Scott Hatteberg at first base — something that could be seen a few times during the season.

"Hatteberg gives us a guy who will give you a good at-bat every time an d put the ball in play," said Narron. "I'm going to do everything I can to keep Hatteberg sharp if he is going to help us."
    I think the last paragraph really irks me. How about not moving your star slugger around like a pinball on the field to keep a bench player "fresh"?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3 homers not enough for Narron

Narron appears to loath starters.
    Go Gators!

Narron can't be gotten rid of soon enough, IMO.

The dude is a dinosaur--throwback: and not in a good way--and I really disagree with A LOT of his quotes and decisions.

Either

A. Narron is a moron and really meant when he said about EE
    or
    B. Hal is a grumpy old man, and wrote a god awful title and took Jerry's comment out of context.

Either way if I hear "quality at bat" one more time I am going to vomit. Do you have to be 35 and on the decline to give quality at bats or as that the only thing Hatteberg and Womack and RA do well?

I am sorry, but all of us know we probably aren't going anywhere this year, but why do we gotta be old? Play EE, Freel, the 3 outfielders, Dunn at 1st, and let's go play ball.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    ...why do we gotta be old? Play EE, Freel, the 3 outfielders, Dunn at 1st, and let's go play ball.
    and trade all the members of bullpen who have guarenteed contracts.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

All quotes like that do is make me want Lancaster to ask Narron every time every Reds player fails to get a hit (or a bat on ball) with runner on if that means their previous good work is "not enough". I am starting to wonder just how small bus Narron is.

I guess I will give him the benefit of the doubt on the shortest of leashes that he is somehow applying pressure to EE to keep him hitting the ball at a rate hotter than most everyone else in baseball. But the underlying expectation at that point, even if meant as a motivational tool, is so dangerously deluded that the man would have to be insane. I don't get it. The best hitters of all time failed to get a hit on six of every ten at-bats. Presumably, even in the magical .400 seasons, some of those failures came with men on. It seems reasonable, even if you work a count to 3-2 (demonstrating nice plate discipline mind you, to get to that point), that sometimes you will fail to connect on the next pitch (hitting a baseball remains a hard thing to do).

Really, this kind of thing is unseemly.
    Last edited by membengal; 03-06-2006 at 07:56 AM.

I may have to leave work early today, I'm feeling some "grabbiness" and it's not pleasant.

It seems like someone who can't crack a joke (which Narron cannot) trying to be funny.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

TR, I hope you are right. But I don't trust him.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Either

A. Narron is a moron and really meant when he said about EE
    or
    B. Hal is a grumpy old man, and wrote a god awful title and took Jerry's comment out of context.

Either way if I hear "quality at bat" one more time I am going to vomit. Do you have to be 35 and on the decline to give quality at bats or as that the only thing Hatteberg and Womack and RA do well?

I am sorry, but all of us know we probably aren't going anywhere this year, but why do we gotta be old? Play EE, Freel, the 3 outfielders, Dunn at 1st, and let's go play ball.
    So he's a moron for all the things he said about EE in the article? I thought he was pretty even handed in his quotes...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Message to Reds players: Bunt on 3-2.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Message to Reds players: Bunt on 3-2.
    Now that's scrappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Narron can't be gotten rid of soon enough, IMO.

The dude is a dinosaur--throwback: and not in a good way--and I really disagree with A LOT of his quotes and decisions.
    WilyMo: All I wanted to say was that I am really digging your new avatar....

Oh yeah, that...and that EdE appears to be completely hosed at this juncture.

I agree motivation is good... but why say something decent about a guy and in the next breath convey your disapproval. It's a good way to break a young guy's spirit... like, "nothing I do is ever good enough". I relate it to the parent who quibbles about one B on a report card filled with A's.

Regarding Hatteberg/Dunn, if he keeps doing this in an attempt to keep Hatteberg sharp, it infringes on playing Kearns/Pena everyday. In my mind, it's more important to keep them sharp as they are the future. Isn't that supposedly one of the things that made the Casey trade so important?

I totally agree about not moving Dunn around often. If he's the Cincinnati Reds first baseman, then allow him to be the Cincinnati Reds first baseman. This is beginning to sound like platooning... Adam is a franchise player; he shouldn't be platooned. Let him own the position he's been chosen to play.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 03-06-2006 at 10:52 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    So he's a moron for all the things he said about EE in the article? I thought he was pretty even handed in his quotes...
    I do too. Narron's a coach who sees a missed opportunity with the negative remark. He then goes on to point out the positives he's seen. I have seen Narron be impressed more often than not, but then if he said to many good things, he'd be accused of gushing and not being realistic about his players. Narron's problem is still talent. He wrote out a decent lineup card most of the time after he took over and the players seem to respect him. He also seemed to know when to take a pitcher out more often than not. That is most of what a manager does to affect a game. I can live with Narron. I cannot live with this roster, and hopefully neither can Krivsky.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?