Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds’ Wilson sick and tired of being injured (3/11)

Reds’ Wilson sick and tired of being injured (3/11)

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Reds’ Wilson sick and tired of being injured
    Jim Massie / THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

SARASOTA, Fla. — Paul Wilson needed only a moment yesterday to decide that patience never has been one of his particular virtues.

Eight and a half months removed from shoulder surgery that cost him most of the 2005 season with the Cincinnati Reds, Wilson has yet to pitch in an exhibition game this spring and can sense the clock ticking toward opening day.

He knows that setbacks are part of any rehabilitation. Wilson has traveled the same road before after surgeries to his shoulder in 1996 and right elbow in ’99. Yet one part hasn’t changed. He didn’t like the view from the sidelines then. He likes it less now.

"I thought it would be different," Wilson said. "It’s not. It’s actually harder because I want to hurry up and be part of what these guys are going to start doing in a little while. I want to help out. You’d think I would have more patience because I’m older now. I don’t. The impatience is the same. In that regard, I haven’t matured at all."

Beneath a wry smile, his face showed the frustration of a man stuck in a traffic jam two hours away from where he needs to be in 15 minutes. Blowing the horn won’t speed the pace.

"I feel fine," Wilson said. "It’s coming. It’s not going as fast as I’d like it, but it’s coming. I’m on a five-day schedule — pitch, day off, side day, day off, day off, pitch. The last month has been up and down. We’ve had a bad week. Then we’ve had a decent week. We’re waiting on my strength to get better."

The wait is complicated by the state of the Cincinnati starting rotation. Aaron Harang missed his scheduled start Thursday with inflammation in the right shoulder, and Eric Milton continues to try to quiet down a sore right calf.

Reds manager Jerry Narron has said he won’t begin to worry until after March 15, but contingency plans already are chugging along. Tommy Phelps, Ben Kozlowski, Justin Germano, Michael Gosling and Phil Dumatrait are among the pitchers getting looks as potential fill-ins for Wilson or the others.

"That’s a lot of starters," Narron said. "Until (Wilson) is back, you move on and try to get somebody to step up and fill that role. It’s a great opportunity for these guys to get a chance to pitch this spring. It doesn’t happen very often where you’ve got guys that you don’t plan on starting spring training games starting for you."

Wilson knows what has to improve before his name returns to the mix.

"My body is in great shape," he said. "I’m ready to go. I’m just waiting on my arm strength. You build it just by throwing. We’re doing our Jobe weights. We’re doing our specific muscle weights and every other weight known to man. But mostly we’re just throwing."

To that regimen, Wilson followed a long bullpen session yesterday by pitching two innings of live batting practice for teammates Dewayne Wise, Jacob Cruz and Andy Abad.

"This was a good day," Wilson said. "After the roller coaster ride I’ve been on, I’ll take all the good days I can get."

He hasn’t given up on being ready by April even if the prospects are slim. Patience, easy or not, is the only available road.

"I will know when my arm is strong enough by how the hitters are reacting to the ball," Wilson said. "It’s not going to be 95 mph. But I have to be able to compete. I may be 70 percent right now. I don’t know. I can’t put a number on it. But I’ll know when I’m competitive."

jmassie@dispatch.com

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/reds...311-E9-02.html
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds’ Wilson sick and tired of being injured (3/11)

Hey Paul, I bet if you retire, a lot of those injuries would go away.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Paul needs to retire and the Reds need to shift through the fluff(guys like Germano). Goodbye Paulie. Ditto for Milton.

Amazing how pitchers tire of injuries but not of getting paid big money for poor performance.

got alil captain in u?

exactly flyer85

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Edit: Never mind, it's not worth arguing over.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 03-11-2006 at 08:10 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Amazing how pitchers tire of injuries but not of getting paid big money for poor performance.
    that's more of the team's fault. say Jeff D'Amico was offered a 2-year, $13,000,000 contract from the Yankees, do you really think he would turn that down for the minor league contract and non-invitation to spring training that he's received?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    that's more of the team's fault. say Jeff D'Amico was offered a 2-year, $13,000,000 contract from the Yankees, do you really think he would turn that down for the minor league contract and non-invitation to spring training that he's received?
    OK, you said it nicer than I did in the edited post. I don't think flyer85 really meant to insinuate that Paul Wilson had some sort of character flaw, but that's how it came across.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

that's more of the team's fault.
    as BP has pointed out about the Reds, they seem to have a fascination with mediocre performance and below.

I have no doubt that Wilson is a tough guy and a nice guy but his career has been defined by injury interspersed with below average performance. The Reds should use the season as opportunity to find out about guys like Germano, Belisle or Gosling. There is zero upside with Wilson. Does anyone truly believe he will be anything but well below average coming off another major arm injury.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    OK, you said it nicer than I did in the edited post. I don't think flyer85 really meant to insinuate that Paul Wilson had some sort of character flaw, but that's how it came across.
    Wilson is obviously a good guy but in the end that doesn't help him get people out. I would have thought he would have tired of the injuries a long time ago. My point was the only reason he is still trying is because he is owed $4M+ for the upcoming season, there isn't any altruism in it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Does anyone truly believe he will be anything but well below average coming off another major arm injury.
    below average doesn't begin to describe what i think willl happen. however, i do think Wilson isn't pitching because he's under contract, but rather he believes he can still do it "effectively."

not sure how the weird double post happened.
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 03-11-2006 at 09:08 PM.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

but rather he believes he can still do it "effectively."
    if that's the case he is an eternal optimist because Wilson hasn't pitched effectively at any time in his career except maybe the first half season he pitched with the Rays.

Just because we would all be tempted to take money we did not earn, especially the amounts we are talking, does NOT make it right.

If you spnd 5 dollars in a store, and give the clerk a 10 to pay, and he gives you 15 back, thinking you gave him a 20, is it right to keep the money and walk away?

This is probably the biggest reason I now prefer football way, way, way over baseball. Players earn their money. OK, maybe they get too much money but we aren't talking about pay scales....we are talking about pay for no work.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to put in the little [soapbox] and [/soapbox] things.

I don't begrudge Wilson his money. Afterall, nobody put a gun to DanOs head(other than himself). I think the Reds would be better served giving the innings to a young pitcher.

below average doesn't begin to describe what i think willl happen.
    I just hope the Reds are smart enough to put him out of his misery if it comes to that.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?