Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Milton really this dumb?

Is Milton really this dumb?

From Marc
    Milton's thoughts

DUNEDIN -- Took a while, but we finally talked with Milton a few minutes ago. His right calf was heavily wrapped in ice, and you can guess what his mood was like.

"It’s hard for me to use my calf as an excuse for the way I was pitching," he said. "If I can throw the ball, I’m going to go out there and throw the ball. I’m not looking for a reason to come out of the game, that’s for sure."

Does he need to shut it down for a while to make sure he's healed completely before going back on the mound?

"For me, I’ve got to be out there. After today, I want to go back out there tomorrow and pitch. I’ve got to listen to the doctors and the trainers and do what they say, but if it was up to me, I’d be pitching tomorrow. Today was pretty much an embarrassment to me."
    If they let him pitch with in the next week, I would be upset. This is ridiculous. If he was embarrassed about today, imagine what it would be like if he pitches again with a bad leg.

Does he not understand? Without strong legs he will never get anyone out. His embarrassment has been his fault because he not healthy (not his fault he is hurt, but that he is playing hurt). This is 100% selfish if he pitches hurt again. Unbelievable that this coaching staff lets this happen. If I were manager, he would not be pitching for atleast a week. He is now completely untrusting and could hurt the team completely after he said he felt great. If he goes out there unhealthy he could screw up his entire season. This guy is pathetic.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Milton really this dumb?

No, he's not really that dumb.
    He just was embarrassed by a bad performance and wants to make it better as soon as possible.
    He won't pitch tomorrow, or in the next week.
    Alternatively he could have said this;
    "Well it was really difficult going out there with my calf hurting like it was. I think that really had an impact on my pitches."
    or this
    "Well I gave up that homer and the hard hits, but other than that I felt good, it's early, I won't worry about it."

How do you think those comments would have gone over?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Really for all the faults, people should at least give him credit for owning up to it when he pitches poorly. Which is pretty much always.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red
    Really for all the faults, people should at least give him credit for owning up to it when he pitches poorly. Which is pretty much always.
    I do agree. He is a 'no excuses' type of guy, which is why he wants to get out there so often. But the injuries are not excuses, they are reasons why he doesn't perform well. He should be a man of reasoning more often.

I think Lancaster just copied and pasted that article from every other game last year.

got alil captain in u?

we need more no excuses type of guys but he should be atlesat smart enough to not pitch till he's 100% not 85% because we atlaest need teh guy to throw a few innings in spring training

4 H/4 R/1 HR in 2/3 IP

Look at the bright side, how many teams can say their ace is in mid season form right now?

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Is Milton really that dumb?

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: YYYYYYYYYeeeeeeeessssssss

In all seriousness though, come on, he is like every other professional athlete, he is a competitor, and you can't fault him for being embarrassed and saying that he'd like to go back out tomorrow to defend his honor. Everybody would be all over him if he said he wanted to shut it down and wait until the calf was fully healed. What do you want the guy to say? "Yeah, i sure sucked today, maybe i should just retire." Not that i'm defending Milton, but man, give him a break, he's just a human being who has been embarrassed and for some odd reason thinks he can do better.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

The Real Games haven't started yet. I think we need to ease up on the guy. Once the season starts, then make him fair game.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan
    Everybody would be all over him if he said he wanted to shut it down and wait until the calf was fully healed. What do you want the guy to say? "Yeah, i sure sucked today, maybe i should just retire." Not that i'm defending Milton, but man, give him a break, he's just a human being who has been embarrassed and for some odd reason thinks he can do better.
    Yeah actually I would like him to say, "I need to be 100% or atleast 95% to pitch effectivly. Right now I'm not at that level."

Then I would like, "I will be there soon by following the trainer's advice to get ready for my next start." Which he kind of said. But I don't think he is honest enough to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    The Real Games haven't started yet. I think we need to ease up on the guy. Once the season starts, then make him fair game.

Don't we already have enough of a sample size already to deduce that he stinks on ice?
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels

Don't we already have enough of a sample size already to deduce that he stinks on ice?
    We have enough sample size to confirm that he stinks on ice, grass, turf, gravel, AND dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    4 H/4 R/1 HR in 2/3 IP

Look at the bright side, how many teams can say their ace is in mid season form right now?

I think that mound looked off.

Makes all the routine posts.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Dumb isn't really the word. Do you want him to hide in the corner, sobbing, screaming "DON'T MAKE ME GO BACK OUT THERE!"?

Actually, you probably do, so my point will end up lost.

Of all the deluded idiots in baseball, Eric Milton doesn't strike me as one in particular. At this point I'm either rooting for him to get better and return to mediocrity or just watch the Reds dine on his contract. One or the other needs to just hurry up and happen already.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 03-08-2006 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Dumb isn't really the word. Do you want him to hide in the corner, sobbing, screaming "DON'T MAKE ME GO BACK OUT THERE!"?

Actually, you probably do, so my point will end up lost.

Of all the deluded idiots in baseball, Eric Milton doesn't strike me as one in particular. At this point I'm either rooting for him to get better and return to mediocrity or just watch the Reds dine on his contract. One or the other needs to just hurry up and happen already.
    As previously stated:

I do agree. He is a 'no excuses' type of guy, which is why he wants to get out there so often. But the injuries are not excuses, they are reasons why he doesn't perform well. He should be a man of reasoning more often.
    Yeah actually I would like him to say, "I need to be 100% or atleast 95% to pitch effectivly. Right now I'm not at that level."

Then I would like, "I will be there soon by following the trainer's advice to get ready for my next start." Which he kind of said. But I don't think he is honest enough to do that.

Also, I'm not ripping on him for pitching poorly. I'm ripping on him for pitching at 75% or whatever, then saying basically if it weren't for the doctors, he would be out there ASAP. That is what is dumb.

Turn Off Ads?