Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe the Reds are in the wrong league

Maybe the Reds are in the wrong league

This just kind of popped into my head as I was reading through the Reds-Twins game thread on the other side of the board: But would it be so bad if the Reds were in the AL Central?

Just for full disclosure, I'm an NL guy. I got introduced to the game during an era of NL dominance and I despise the DH rule. I don't just like the NL better, I believe it's morally superior. I also put a lot of stock in the Reds being a franchise that can trace its history back to the 1800s and playing in a league with a bunch of other teams that can do the same.

Yet despite that, there's still a strong case to be made for the AL Central.

Heres the scenario:

Let's say the Kansas City Royals decide they've got to be in the same division as the Cardinals in order to make something out of that franchise, that they've decided 13 years in the AL Central is enough. Obviously they couldn't just saunter over to the NL. Someone would have to switch places with them.

Then you get to why the Reds might consider it.

First and foremost there's the little matter of the Reds having been in the NL Central for 13 years without a decent rivalry forming. Oh, fans pay some attention to the Cardinals and Cubs, but the Reds have never been in a meaningful race with either club and the rivalries are one-way streets at best.

Second is the matter of the GAB. I like a more athletic, less power-oriented brand of baseball. Problem is the Reds didn't build a park for that. The Reds built a park that accentuates power and as long as the club plays there it's going to have to bring a fair amount of beef to the barbecue. You can claim to be an NL team all you want, but if you play in what amounts to an AL park you're only fooling yourself.

Third, the Reds' natural rival is the Indians. You want a rivalry fans can really get caught up in? Well there it is, the annual battle for Ohio. Beyond that, you've got the Yankees, Red Sox and A's in the AL and the Reds have some relatively modern historical ties to all three of those clubs.

Fourth, apparently Edwin Encarnacion is a Twins killer.

Fifth, there's only three clubs west of the the Central time zone in the AL, which means fewer late games to broadcast.

Sixth, Jr. can DH.

Seventh, being near the Pirates and Brewers all these years has rubbed off on the club on the wrong way. It needs to start hanging around with the Twins and Indians.

Anyway, that's the case for the switch. I'm not going to tell you I like the idea because I'm not wired to like anything to do with the American League. Yet if the opportunity presented itself I think I just might be for the team switching leagues. Ultimately it might be the right thing for the Reds.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Maybe the Reds are in the wrong league

Heresy

I don't like the AL, but I assume its the DH and being a Reds fan that are the only real sticking points.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

interesting points, but i'd rather stay where we are now, as national leaguers...here in chicago, we've got both leagues covered...i absolutely hate the cubs, wrigley field, the ivy and everything else associated with the north siders...as for the sox, i make my way over to "the cell" a handful of times each year, but can't really get into the game as much...the entire dh thing drives me crazy, and i just can't get past it...while i do have a good time there, it's mostly because of all the consumed adult beverages

Well, I think that GABP itself stands as evidence that no important decision that will affect the team for decades should be based heavily on the players of the present team.

However, this

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Fourth, apparently Edwin Encarnacion is a Twins killer.
    is probably going to stand as my favorite argument for anything that happens in baseball in 2006. I really just kind of like the imagery of it. Edwin Encarnacion, Twins Killer! it's a superhero in the making.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Don't know... I heard Buster Olney say on ESPN Radio this morning that the top 6-7 teams in MLB this year are AL teams.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think the best argument made in the entire post was that of rivalries. That said, I imagine the NL team switching would be sending Milwauke back to the AL, thus restoring their rivalry with MN, and keeping things slighly more historically consistent.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The single thing that turns the Reds into the Pirates and the Brewers was getting JR. 12.5 million reasons to fall out of the top half. The other was (wait while I duck) firing Bowden. Yeah, throw stuff if you want but DanO was a distaster and Krivisky will only be an improvement if Castellini gives him a ton more money every year.

Bowden was enough out-of-the-box to try to invent ways to look good at least with no money. Waiting first 3 years, then 5 or more years more for the current regime to supposedly rebuild the farm system is more LUCK than planning.

Changing to the AL would just make the Reds compete with the Royals and Twins instead of the Pirates and Brewers. Now that the Sox have decent management and a ton of money, they will likely be the same as the Cards, Cubs and Houston.....trading the title around whilst the bottom feeders bottom feed.

And I never liked the Indians.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

I heard Buster Olney say on ESPN Radio this morning that the top 6-7 teams in MLB this year are AL teams
    Yeah, here's how Busterboy does his rankings:
    1. New York Yankees
    2. New York Yankees
    3. New York Yankees
    4. New York Yankees
    5. New York Yankees
    6. New York Yankees
    7. New York Yankees
    8. League
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Anyway, that's the case for the switch.
    I'm dyed-in-the-wool National League too, but that's one good case.

A 3-year sabbatical would work.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    I imagine the NL team switching would be sending Milwauke back to the AL, thus restoring their rivalry with MN, and keeping things slighly more historically consistent.
    The Brewers never had a rivalry with the Twins, they only played in the same division for four seasons. Milwaukee switched to the NL to be near the Cubs and I doubt they'd ever give that up now that they've got it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I think the AL rules suck but that's another issue. I've always felt that the AL Central is the best division in baseball moneywise. Perfect for a market like Cincinnati. This is the only division in baseball without a big spender year in and year out. Today with the unbalanced schedules that makes a huge difference. It means 36 games a year against the Tigers/Royals and only 6 against the likes of NY, Boston, etc. I'd feel a lot better about the chances of our Reds becoming contenders again if they were in that division than the NL Central

Perfect for a market like Cincinnati
    The Rust Belt division, marked by the snow birds and the faded union stickers on rusted bumpers.

All members of the beer and whiskey league or the AL or its begining the western league.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    The single thing that turns the Reds into the Pirates and the Brewers was getting JR. 12.5 million reasons to fall out of the top half. The other was (wait while I duck) firing Bowden.

So, the worst thing we ever did was sign Junior. And the next worst thing we ever did was fire the guy who moved heaven and earth to get him.

Hmmmmm
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Bowden was enough out-of-the-box to try to invent ways to look good at least with no money.
    Yeah,he's working wonders over there in DC, the wonder has turned to blunder.

If Jr. is the worst thing to happen to the Reds then how does the guy who swung the trade and cut the contract and greased the skids get off without a black eye?

Yet gets sunshine blown up his rear like a balloon at a kids party.

The DH and all associated with it are evil.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?