Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which player belongs in the HOF?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Both belong in.

10 16.95%
  • Neither belong in.

24 40.68%
  • Bonds yes, Rose no.

5 8.47%
  • Rose yes, Bonds no.

20 33.90%

Thread: Bonds vs. Rose - HOF

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Bonds vs. Rose - HOF

As a follow up to a previous poll concerning Gambling vs. Steroids, as well as their names being talked about in the same thread, I wanted to see the feelings of people concerning Bonds and Rose in terms of the HOF.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Bonds vs. Rose - HOF

If Bonds gets in, Pete should get in.

While steroids are bad for your body, Bonds to date has broken no baseball rules. Rose broke rule 21.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    While steroids are bad for your body, Bonds to date has broken no baseball rules. Rose broke rule 21.
    Steroids are illegal substances.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Steriods are illegal.

Gambling is not.

How is gambling in baseball legal, or as you phrased it, not illegal?

What rule did Bonds break?

While I can't stand Bonds, steroids didn't give him the best eye after Ted Williams.

Bonds only broke the federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Bonds only broke the federal law.
    So let the federal government punish Bonds as they rightly should. He most likely lied to a Federal Grand Jury, so let's re-open Alcatraz since it's in Bonds' backyard and make him an inmate. Bonds should be punished for the rules he's broken, but when it comes to baseball, what rule did he break for which baseball can punish him?

So let the federal government punish Bonds as they rightly should. He most likely lied to a Federal Grand Jury, so let's re-open Alcatraz since it's in Bonds' backyard and make him an inmate. Bonds should be punished for the rules he's broken, but when it comes to baseball, what rule did he break for which baseball can punish him?
    Baseball shouldn't have to have a rule against steroids, the law says it's illegal. Should baseball also have rules against rape and muder? If a baseball player murders someone is it okay since baseball doesn't have a rule against it?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Baseball shouldn't have to have a rule against steroids, the law says it's illegal. Should baseball also have rules against rape and muder? If a baseball player murders someone is it okay since baseball doesn't have a rule against it?

What did baseball do when Juan Marichal attacked John Roseboro with a bat? Fined him $1750, suspended him 8 games.

Ty Cobb alledgedly killed a man in 1912, and he's in the HOF.

Everytime we see a bench clearing brawl, do you see players on each side being charged with assault?

Steroids are illegal, so why do we have this 3 strike penalty system in place in MLB? Get caught using, go to jail. 1st strike, go to jail.

PTI said it great TWICE today when both Wilbon and Kornheiser agreed that while Bonds broke America's rules, he didn't break baseball's rules. Are those respected journalists wrong to share my opinion by stating the blatant fact that Bonds has yet to break a baseball rule?

Edit-Forget it. I don't have time for this right now.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-08-2006 at 06:45 PM.

If we assume that steroids were illegal in baseball b/c the use of illegal substances is suppossed to be covered in the CBA, then Bonds broke a rule. However, Bonds would have broken a rule trying to improve his performance and enable his team to win. Where gambling on baseball destroys the integrity of competition b/c you don't know if your team is playing to win. If there is any doubt that your team is playing to win then what type of competition do you have between the two teams. Gambling is the holy rule in baseball that carries and automatic penalty. It was written on every club house and every player new the consiquences. Pete decided to go against the rule and he is paying the penalty.

True the hall of fame has some poor characters as members, but Pete got caught and he has to deal with it. Life isn't fair, no matter how much we often wish it was.

As much as I hate to say it, both should be in the HOF for what they did on the field. It's not the Hall of Great Character.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

At least we can assume that Pete's hits were legitimate. I wonder if Bonds would have earned it like Ruth and Aaron did without the help, would he even endured long enough?

I believe Rose and Bonds are both guilty of crossing the line between right and wrong.

As far as I know Bonds has never tested positive and there is no evidence that Rose ever bet on baseball as a player.

We are all aware of rule #21.

The very fiber that links the games of today to Every Game in the history of MLB is stats.

Any Player using any illegal substance to improve his perfomance is cheating the history and integrity of the game.

Shouldn't there be a rule 21(a) against steroids posted in every clubhouse with the same penalty?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    I believe Rose and Bonds are both guilty of crossing the line between right and wrong.

As far as I know Bonds has never tested positive and there is no evidence that Rose ever bet on baseball as a player.

We are all aware of rule #21.

The very fiber that links the games of today to Every Game in the history of MLB is stats.

Any Player using any illegal substance to improve his perfomance is cheating the history and integrity of the game.

Shouldn't there be a rule 21(a) against steroids posted in every clubhouse with the same penalty?

Didn't Pete admit within the last few years that he did bet on baseball, including the Reds, but always to win? IIRC it came out in his last book.

Turn Off Ads?