Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anybody been to San Juan Puerto Rico?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Anybody been to San Juan Puerto Rico?

The wife and I are going to be in and out next week. 3 days. We'll probably be perfectly happy to go to the beach if it's sunny. We don't really NEED to sightsee. But for those who've been there, what are some must-see/must-do things, and what things can we skip?
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Re: Anybody been to San Juan Puerto Rico?

I was in San Juan for a day or two as part of a cruise about ten years ago. What's neat about San Juan is the separation of Old San Juan and New San Juan. The Old San Juan is practically preserved as it was a century or two ago. There is an old fort (the name escapes me) right there on the coast in Old San Juan that was used to protect the city against sea attacks. That was worth visiting.

What's not worth visiting? Prince's bar. It was like $20 cover charge, and then almost $10/beer after 10:00. Girls dancing in cages, couples making out on couches...oh, it was a scene, man. Hey, I was 22. I was going where the party was.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    The wife and I are going to be in and out next week. 3 days. We'll probably be perfectly happy to go to the beach if it's sunny. We don't really NEED to sightsee. But for those who've been there, what are some must-see/must-do things, and what things can we skip?
    Went there in 2004. The only thing i can tell you is that you MUST find a little Cuban restaurant hidden in the middle of Old San Juan.

If you do nothing else, find authentic Cuban food. The fort there is cool, but not that big a deal. Shops there are ok and there are some neat street vendors selling cool stuff here and there.

Things you should know...

1. The drivers on the main highway are maniacal. Beyond crazy. Stay away.
    2. And if you decide not to heed my advice from #1, if you get stuck in a political rally on a highway- good luck to you. See you sometime in August unless your taxi driver is as crazy as ours was getting us back to our resort.

Oh, and if I haven't mentioned it, find authentic Cuban food?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

thanks guys.

IIRC, we have a Redszoner who's a native. Hope he/she weighs in too.

The Cuban food will be a go.

Gotta take a taxi from the airport to my hotel (hopefully won't get a maniac). I've heard that from there on, we'll be okay either on foot or on the bus.
    Stick to your guns.

Yes it's very nice...check out old San Juan
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

For a Level Playing Field

thanks guys.

IIRC, we have a Redszoner who's a native. Hope he/she weighs in too.
    I believe The Burn lives in San Juan, chili. I have not heard from him in quite awhile though here at RZ. Hope you and the wife have a great trip.

Queen Christine

I lived in San Juan PR for 11 years, it's great!
    I would say go down to Condado, there are a lot of fun hotels for gambling and very good restaurants. Old San Juan is a great place also, don't go down any deserted streets, and never go anywhere down there by yourself, lots of homeless people, but the shops are amazing and jewelry is really cheap and tax free... where are you staying down there?

Hey Christine-- we miss you on the thread. Stop by sometime and say hi. Hope you've been doing well.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Queen Christine

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Hey Christine-- we miss you on the thread. Stop by sometime and say hi. Hope you've been doing well.
    I am doing well, I don't know where the thread went, I went to the other board and then thread was gone and I haven't been back.... sorry... i guess i figured it was over...

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by DunnersGrl44
    I am doing well, I don't know where the thread went, I went to the other board and then thread was gone and I haven't been back.... sorry... i guess i figured it was over...

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Done hijacking the thread now. Good to see you, and chili, have fun in San Juan.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I lived in San Juan PR for 11 years, it's great!
    I would say go down to Condado, there are a lot of fun hotels for gambling and very good restaurants. Old San Juan is a great place also, don't go down any deserted streets, and never go anywhere down there by yourself, lots of homeless people, but the shops are amazing and jewelry is really cheap and tax free... where are you staying down there?
    We're staying at the Hotel Normandie.

Thanks a bunch for the advice, and feel free to keep it coming.
    Stick to your guns.

Queen Christine

never heard of the normandie, could be a new hotel..... it's a lot of fun..... just be with another person at all times as you willl have a great time....

never heard of the normandie, could be a new hotel.....
    It's an older hotel, but might have changed names:

Thanks for the help.

Stick to your guns.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

It's an older hotel, but might have changed names:

Thanks for the help.

I think that was the SANDS when I was there (1970-72). I lived a few blocks away. I'm told the neighborhood ain't what it used to be. Our apartment building is now home to CONDOMWORLD (not kidding).

Haven't been back since '74...but I remember a few things.

If you can get outside of San Juan, the beaches are probably nicer.
    As far as tropical beaches, PR is not in the same class as the rest of the Caribbean.

We used to go out to El Luquillo. Very quiet waters. One hour drive west, IIRC.
    El Dorado is a nice resort town, probably less than two hours west.

You might want to drive through the rain forest, if you haven't seen that sort of thing before.

Old San Juan can be done in a morning/afternoon. The Fort is really nice (El Morro).

The best thing on the island IMO is La Parguera, on the other side of the Island. It is a phosphorescent bay. Probably a longer trip than you want to take however (of course, roads should be better than 30 years ago, I guess). You have to go at night and check the moon phases (you would want a new moon).

If not there's always the World Baseball Classic.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?