Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bailey does better second time out

Bailey does better second time out

Bailey does better second time out
    By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, F LA . | Homer Bailey is only 19 and quickly getting wise beyond his baseball years.

Bailey has just two seasons of professional experience, both at the Class A level. But as the No. 1 draft pick of the Cincinnati Reds in 2004 and the club's top pitching prospect, the Reds have him on the 40-man roster and are giving him a taste of big-league life this spring putting him on the fast track.

On Wednesday he pitched a scoreless inning against the Pittsburgh Pirates no hits, one walk, one strikeout as the Reds lost a split-squad game, 5-0.

It was better than his first try when he gave up a run and two hits in one inning against the Twins.

"I was a lot less nervous this time," he said. "I learned. I told myself to just go out and compete. Pitching against major-leaguers is a boost. I always heard once you get a taste of the big leagues and get sent back, you fight more to get back up. I definitely understand that now.

"Being around these (big-league) guys, you pick things up. I talk to Tom Browning (guest pitching instructor) and Vern Ruhle (pitching coach) and I understand more about pitching."

Bailey, a 6-foot-4, 205-pounder from LaGrange, Texas, was 8-4 with a 4.43 earned-run average at Class A Dayton last year and is expected to start this season at Class AA Chattanooga.

Split-squad

While Sean Casey played for Pittsburgh against the Reds in Sarasota, a 5-0 Pirates victory, the man for whom Casey was traded, left-handed pitcher Dave Williams, started a split-squad game in Fort Myers, a 3-2 Reds win.

Williams pitched three hitless, scoreless innings, despite walking four. He struck out two.

Third baseman Edwin Encarnacion hit his fourth homer of the spring, three coming in two split-squad games against the Twins in Fort Myers. Outfielder DeWayne Wise had three hits, including a home run.

Injury report

Relief pitcher Kent Mercker makes his first appearance of the spring today in Bradenton against the Pirates, fully recovered from a sore back.

"I haven't faced a hitter this spring, but there is plenty of time," said Mercker. "Two years ago I pitched only twice in the spring for the Chicago Cubs."

And he had an premier season 3-1 with a 2.55 ERA in 71 relief appearances.

Eric Milton, who re-injured his right calf pitching Tuesday, had moderate stiffness on the outside of the calf Wednesday, but performed long-toss without complaint.

"He'll take his regular bullpen session (today), then make a decision after that about his next appearance on the mound," said trainer Mark Mann.

Aaron Harang, scheduled to start today in Bradenton against the Pirates, was scratched due to shoulder inflammation. He is being treated and is listed as day-to-day.

Quote of the day

A fan sitting in Ed Smith Stadium spotted a writer walking down the concourse during Wednesday's game and yelled, "Two words for your story: need pitching."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...redsnotes.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bailey does better second time out

Two things:

1. Not trying to pick on Hal or anything, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Homer is on the 40-man roster as Hal reported.

2. Hal says Bailey gave up a run on two hits in a game earlier vs the Twins. The Reds website has Bailey credited on the stat sheet with three scoreless innings of one hit baseball this Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Two things:

1. Not trying to pick on Hal or anything, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Homer is on the 40-man roster as Hal reported.

2. Hal says Bailey gave up a run on two hits in a game earlier vs the Twins. The Reds website has Bailey credited on the stat sheet with three scoreless innings of one hit baseball this Spring.
    I listened to that game and IIRC, he didn't give up any runs. He did give up a couple of walks in 2 innings.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Two things:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was 2 walks to start off the inning in his first outting, but he got out of the jam, and pitched another scoreless inning right after that. No runs earned by Homer.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

From the game thread. http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=43449&page=5

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    Dear Felipe,

I am still pretending that the start of last year for you never happened.

Love,

Membengal

Btw, Bailey 2 innings, 2 walks, 1 hit, 2 strikeouts, 0 runs.

Brian Shackleford in now.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I think I spend more time fact-checking my posts than Hal does his articles anymore.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

"A fan sitting in Ed Smith Stadium spotted a writer walking down the concourse during Wednesday's game and yelled, "Two words for your story: need pitching."

OK, which 'Zoner was yelling at Hal?

Rem

bailey is not on the 40-man either

Did anyone else miss this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal McCoy
    Bailey, a 6-foot-4, 205-pounder from LaGrange, Texas, was 8-4 with a 4.43 earned-run average at Class A Dayton last year and is expected to start this season at Class AA Chattanooga.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Bailey doesn't have to be on the 40-man until he has three professional seasons. Then, if he isn't on the 40, he's eligible for the Rule 5 Draft.

205 pounds? Geez, he's been eating. He was closer to 180 when he was drafted. I think that's wrong. He really doesn't look more than 185 or so in the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    With Hal's accuracy both in that article and in others, I'd say it's a sure thing Homer stays in Florida.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Yea, must be another one of Hal's "sources". Marc (someone with a bit of fact checking and a lot more credibiliy at this point in time) has this to say about it.

Though his Grapefruit League appearances thus far have been in relief, the Reds are ramping up Bailey for a starting pitcher's workload once the minor league season begins. That's where Bailey will be, probably starting with high-Class A Sarasota, but judging from the way he has looked in camp, the Reds may have a difficult time holding him back.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060309/SPT05/603090321/1027
    Last edited by rdiersin; 03-09-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Yeah, I was thinking to myself "well hopefully hal is wrong like he has been all year".

6'4" 205? Did Bailey really add close to 20lbs this offseason? Hopefully it's muscle.

Turn Off Ads?