Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bubba and Luke Released

Bubba and Luke Released

Per Marc's blog:

SARASOTA -- Six players were sent packing from big-league camp this morning.

The Reds released Luke Hudson and Bubba Nelson, and reassigned to minor league camp Aaron Herr, Anderson Machado, Derek Wathan and Josh Hall.

Looks like that's it for the first round of cuts.

More OBIEs gone. Nice trade for Reitsma OB

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Bubba and Luke Released

Hopefully Krivsky can deal with Schuerholz better than either of his predecessors. Rob Bell and Bubba and Bong. The only one I can recall us winning is the Belisle for Mercker deal.

As for Hudson, he clearly had no command still this spring.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Another dagger in our side. Nelson and Bong were both prospects of fairly high regard at one time. The lesson: beware of prospects.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Interesting that they are keeping Homer Baily around for a few more days. Looks like he may get another chance at some big leagers.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Another dagger in our side. Nelson and Bong were both prospects of fairly high regard at one time. The lesson: beware of prospects.
    With rare exception, any pitcher received from Atlanta over the last ten years or so, has panned out. If Atlanta's done with them, there's probably a fork in them. There are exceptions, but not many. And Reitsma for these two guys was just a horrid trade.

Bong could still become a decent lefty reliever. He's just got to stay healthy and get the minor league experience he needs. My guess is that he'll survive the axe and wind up at AAA this year, but who knows.

I think the most interesting thing about this spring training is the new administration's attitude toward the young pitchers. I wonder who from among Belisle, Wagner, Coffey, Shackelford, Burns, Simpson will make the major league roster. If Wilson and/or Milton are injured to start the season, who will fill those roles (Gosling seems an early favorite; the Lizard?).

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Hopefully Krivsky can deal with Schuerholz better than either of his predecessors. Rob Bell and Bubba and Bong. The only one I can recall us winning is the Belisle for Mercker deal.

As for Hudson, he clearly had no command still this spring.
    We were able to flip Rob Bell for Encarnacion. Bell was complete junk, but I'm glad we picked him up.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

With rare exception, any pitcher received from Atlanta over the last ten years or so, has panned out. If Atlanta's done with them, there's probably a fork in them. There are exceptions, but not many. And Reitsma for these two guys was just a horrid trade.
    Yes, only Odalis Perez and Jason Schmidt come to mind.

Most of the successful members of Atlanta's staff over the past 10 years has been made up of free agents and veterans acquired from other teams.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Nice trade for Reitsma OB
    Well he's not the only one feeling snookered right now.. how's that Hudson trade looking to Beane?

The fact is JS and the Braves have pulled many a Rickeyesque type of move on the rest of the league oever the past 10 years.

ML successs allows that to happen, as well as having big ones.

Something the Reds can claim to know nothing about.

I'll be surprised if Bong lasts the year without getting released. He's a horrible pitcher.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Bruce Chen is doing ok. Not great, but OK. He pitched a pretty good game yesterday in the WBC. He thrived for a bit in Baltimore under Ray Miller.

Millwood seems to be pitching well. Jason Marquis isn't a bad pitcher. Rob Bell netted EE so he had value at least.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'll be surprised if Bong lasts the year without getting released. He's a horrible pitcher.
    But he's a lefty so he'll get every shot.

Now surprised at any of these names.
    Go Gators!

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy
    We were able to flip Rob Bell for Encarnacion. Bell was complete junk, but I'm glad we picked him up.
    We also got Denny Neagle as part of that deal and last time I checked, he was a pretty important part of the '99 team that almost got to the playoffs.

I thought maybe Paul Newman and George Kennedy had finally gotten free of Strother Martin.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Bubba is still prospect age. I'm surprised he wasn't kept, given that the majority of the Louisville pitching staff will be older than he.

Luke... well, if his command still wasn't there, there isn't much he can do at the big-league level.

Turn Off Ads?