Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New Red's ST Home in Sarasota??

New Red's ST Home in Sarasota??

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 04:09 AM.
    The happiest people don't need the best of every-thing; they make the best of everything they have.
    ---
    'Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
    but how to dance in the rain.'
    ---

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Red's ST Home in Sarasota??

This is good news, maybe we can stop hearing how they are moving to Arizona now
    Go Gators!

With apologies to jmmclain19, jinaz, and the rest of the "Bring the Reds to Arizona" bandwagon - the Reds need to ST in Florida. Too many snowbirds and people taking spring break weeks to visit Sarasota. Non-stop 2 hour flight from Cincinnati as well. Also, for those who can't afford that, you can still drive in about 24 hours from Cincinnati.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Publication date: 03-09-2006

New Sarasota training facility clears initial hurdle
    By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

SARASOTA, Fla. - Tuesday in Tallahassee, the Florida legislature's House Tourism Committee approved a bill that would provide $500,000 a year for up to 30 years to keep the Reds in Sarasota, as long as the city, county and the team match that contribution.

It was the first official step down the path toward a new spring training facility for the Reds, who are deep into discussions with various governments about funding that would keep them here indefinitely. CEO Bob Castellini has been blunt in stating his desire to stay in Sarasota, and the team would like to see a plan that would place a new facility on the existing Sarasota Fairgrounds move ahead.

The Sarasota Herald-Tribune outlined those plans in Wednesday's editions. Initial renderings featured a new stadium along Fruitville Road, about a mile from the Reds' current spring home. The stadium would seat 7,000, with room for 1,000 more fans on a grass berm beyond the right-field fence.

The complex also would include six full-sized practice fields and two half-fields, along with a minor league clubhouse. Two parking garages that would hold a total of 2,500 cars also are in the plans.

Local officials characterized the plan as extremely preliminary, and the bill - which includes similar funding provisions for four other Grapefruit League teams - still must pass the full House.

Reds chief operating officer John Allen was unavailable for comment Wednesday as he spent the afternoon traveling back from Tallahassee.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....603090322/1027
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Also, for those who can't afford that, you can still drive in about 24 hours from Cincinnati.
    24 hours? I used to do it in 12.5 from my house in Sarasota when I lived there.

Average is probably 16 or so, I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    24 hours? I used to do it in 12.5 from my house in Sarasota when I lived there.

Average is probably 16 or so, I would guess.

Sorry about that - the inclination was that in day, one could get to Sarasota from Cincinnati.

It takes me 21 to go from Dayton to Fort Myers with a family. I still spend the night on the way down.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I did my front door to Sarasota in 14:55 and that was with an old woman's bladder.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I did my front door to Sarasota in 14:55 and that was with an old woman's bladder.
    Yikes!

I hope the transplant was a success.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Who did ya steal it from?

Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?