Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So who's the sleeper?

So who's the sleeper?

Someone's going to be the surprise of spring training. I'm not talking about a guy like Edwin Encarnacion here. We knew he was good. I'm talking about a guy coming from nowhere and making a big impression.

Right now Mike Gosling has the lead in that category, but I'm thinking Jimmy Journell could be the guy who really steps up. He throws as hard as anyone the Reds have got.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So who's the sleeper?

Kozlowski could be the guy. It's doubtfull we'll see a sleeper out of the position players.

Sadly, it might be Homer. I say sadly because if it is, you just know the Reds will overpromote.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Great thread M2.

With Milton's balky calf/leg/whatever and Wilson's arm, I am really hoping an arm comes out of nowhere to provide a legitmate "other" option.

I have not heard much from Journell, he intrigues. Gosling's numbers are indeed solid so far. But I saw Koz in AA last year, and have real hopes for him.

I'm going to go with Kozlowski as well. He's pitched pretty well to this point, and should get stronger as the spring goes on.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Looks like he had some rotator cuff problems in the past. Journell's got an excellent minor league K ratio, but his control seemed to vanish in '04 and '05 following the injury.

If he can strike batters out, I'm rooting for him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Ahh the "who is the next Josias" informal poll

Manzanillo came to spring training as a non-roster invitee on a minor-league contract after the Pirates released him last August, a move he says he fully understood given the fact his right elbow wasn't sound. But he quickly became the feel-good story of the spring. He gave up just one run in 12 Grapefruit League innings to win a spot on the team, and he pounded his fists and more or less danced back to the dugout at the end of each inning to win the hearts of the Sarasota faithful.
    http://www.cincypost.com/2003/04/03/reds04-03-2003.html

i'm thinking Coffey of the regulars/semi-regulars if the Reds follow through on Soto's advice.

i think Gosling will make the team, but i'm not sure he'll perform in the regular season. Tommy Phelps is the one i expect to be the real seasonal surprise.

and of the position players, i'm going with Tuffy Rhodes.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Raven:

All the names you mentioned are who I was first thinking of when I read the post. I agree that Gosling will make the squad...I think that perhaps Phelps will make the team too.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Man Pills

Why Phelps? Isn't he basically Lance Davis without the substance abuse problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Why Phelps? Isn't he basically Lance Davis without the substance abuse problems?
    by being surprising i mean slightly better than league average for a LOOGY. and i think Lance Davis probably would have had a better career than Phelps has.

Phelps has decent stuff, he's pretty consistant with it too. last year was the first time he was really given a chance, and he summarily spent most of the year on the DL with various strains and pulls (wheather that's always the case is anyone's guess). he's also 32 and lefthanded, so he could be finally at his peak (albeit it'll probably only last a year).
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Phelps has a career MLB under 3.00 as a reliever. I think he can match Mercker.

However, my pick is Mike Burns. If he can find a pitch to neutralize lefties, watch out.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Media-anointed sleeper -- Burns or Gosling

My sleeper -- DeWayne Wise
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Someone's going to be the surprise of spring training. I'm not talking about a guy like Edwin Encarnacion here. We knew he was good. I'm talking about a guy coming from nowhere and making a big impression.

Right now Mike Gosling has the lead in that category, but I'm thinking Jimmy Journell could be the guy who really steps up. He throws as hard as anyone the Reds have got.
    Does Journell still throw hard? IIRC, he's had a couple of shoulder surgeries to go with a couple more surgeries on his arm.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

hoping that someone improves enough to be the 12th man on a terrible pitching staff? how depressing

fast forward me five years, Sherman... uggh, same bandbox, except now no sluggers

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Ahh the "who is the next Josias" informal poll

Ah, the Galloping Gonad. Brings back such special memories.

*sniff*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?