Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So who's the sleeper?

Re: So who's the sleeper?

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Does Journell still throw hard? IIRC, he's had a couple of shoulder surgeries to go with a couple more surgeries on his arm.
    Good point, he might be down on velocity a bit. I've assumed he's retained most of his heat. That might not be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    hoping that someone improves enough to be the 12th man on a terrible pitching staff? how depressing

fast forward me five years, Sherman... uggh, same bandbox, except now no sluggers
    I'm with you in that I'd much rather be wondering who the unlucky 11th man in the pitching staff is ... because he's getting sent to Louisville.

As for the current state of things, seeing what sticks on the wall is its own form of entertainment.

This summer and the next offseason will be critical for what you and your boy Sherman see when you use the Way-Forward Machine. The potential for a radical reshaping of this franchise is the thing that most holds my interest these days.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I got two sleepers.....Coffey and Gosling.

I think Coffey will be the closer this season and Gosling will give the Reds 10-12 wins.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

He's got virtually no chance to make the team, but it seems Andy Abad is having a decent spring so far. I think he'll last longer than expected this spring. Not the most exciting sleeper, I know.

I would think it would be Gosling. He is a lefty who gets ground balls, that is as good as you can hope for in GABP because it plays as a LH flyball hitters ballpark.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

From the looks of Gosling's track record, he is the top candidate for the 2006 Manzanillo award. He wasn't even any good in college.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    From the looks of Gosling's track record, he is the top candidate for the 2006 Manzanillo award.
    that could say that about almost every pitcher in camp, none of the ones fighting for a spot have even a decent track record.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I can't think of any...maybe Coffey?

The rest fill me with despair
    Go Gators!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Gosling has an option left, so he'll almost certainly start in AAA. But he might be one of the first called up.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I can't think of any...maybe Coffey?

The rest fill me with despair
    I'm right there with you Krono.

I'm hoping this hanging on to atrocious players while sending kids down that will/have outperform(ed) them, because they have options, is a thing that we can finally put behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I'm hoping this hanging on to atrocious players while sending kids down that will/have outperform(ed) them, because they have options, is a thing that we can finally put behind us.
    I'll second that.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Media-anointed sleeper -- Burns or Gosling

My sleeper -- DeWayne Wise
    Agree, he's doing great
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

I like that Wise has some defensive skill.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I like that Wise has some defensive skill.
    he's Reggie Taylor with defensive exceptional defensive instinct...i'll take that as my 5th OFer. problem is, i don't see Narron taking him immediately out of camp because he hits lefty and because of Tuffy Rhodes presence.

as long as Wise can avoid being played before the 7th inning, all should be fine.
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 03-11-2006 at 07:08 PM.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Couldn't find much in the spring stats about position players that jumped off the page to indicate any sleepers outperforming the group -- aside from the obvious great spring start by E.E..

But did notice that guys possibly competing for the second base job have been given a good many at bats so far.

Although Freel has also played OF and Aurilia also 3B and SS, if you include them, Womack, and the younger guys, they have a cumulative 100 AB out of the team's (discounting pitchers) 413 AB, or just over 24% of the ST at bats.

Of course it's way too early and it's only ST, but among the veterans Womack is slugging a whopping .350 (all singles in 20 AB), and among the kids Holbert is slugging .714 (1 HR and 1 single in just 7 AB).

Is the sleeper going to be whichever 2B guy wakes up?

Turn Off Ads?