Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54

Thread: So who's the sleeper?

  1. #31
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    I think that Rob Stratton still could emerge as a sleeper at some point in 2006, if he can get healthy. He's been well below the radar this spring, having not even been assigned to the major league camp.

    Once the Reds get thru the usual AAAA chaff, the likes of Rhodes, McCracken, Holbert, etc, Stratton will be standing tall.

    Kearns, Griffey and Pena are all due for 40-60 games minimum missed per year. When those overlap Denorfia can only play one spot and I think Stratton could sneak in there.

    Maybe that is just a hope in my mind. But it could happen.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    I think that the biggest hope is that the handful of high ceiling players (EdE, Ryan Wagner, WMP and Austin Kearns, front and center) take a Felipe Lopez-sized jump

    all else is of the "can Dwayne Wise or Dane Sardinha finally hit .240?" ilk. sheer boredom

  4. #33
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    I think that the biggest hope is that the handful of high ceiling players (EdE, Ryan Wagner, WMP and Austin Kearns, front and center) take a Felipe Lopez-sized jump

    all else is of the "can Dwayne Wise or Dane Sardinha finally hit .240?" ilk. sheer boredom
    I'm guessing everyone cares more about the high ceiling guys, but that's more of an April concern. Encarnacion's seemingly sewed up the 3B job, Kearns has lost weight, Pena's talked a good game about being more selective and Claussen's teased that he might be able to take a step forward. In every one of those cases we're waiting for the season to start.

    In the meantime, there are some battles for the spots on the end of the bunch, the back of the bullpen and the #4 and #5 slots in the rotation. Do those spots ultimately matter as much as how Kearns performs? Absolutely not. But until Kearns starts to play in games that count, these are the open-ended issues of the moment. Spring Training is really nothing more than sun-drenched boredom to begin with. Seems to me your choices are either to hate it or take some amusement in the less-than-earth-shattering business of filling out the roster.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    there have been camps when I was intrigued by some young players trying to knock on the door. But it's not this one. In this one, I'm expect to be more intrigued by the cuts

  6. #35
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    there have been camps when I was intrigued by some young players trying to knock on the door. But it's not this one. In this one, I'm expect to be more intrigued by the cuts
    Except you've surely known for months the Reds had no young players knocking on the door this ST. All the young guys they've got who could be of serious help have already garnered a good bit of big league experience. Denorfia's the closest thing to a contributing rookie the organization has to offer and the best he can hope for until a trade goes down is a 4th OF slot.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    it's true that if I had only expected less than zero, I would then be excited by nothing. Good motto: As a Reds fan, nothing excites me.

    reminds me of a joke that I heard at a seminar last month. A biologist, a physicist and a mathemetician were watching a house. They observe two people go into the house, after which three came out.

    The physicist says, "The initial measurements were incorrect." The biologist disagrees: "They must have reproduced". And the mathemetician says, "If one more person enters the house, then it will be empty"

  8. #37
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    it's true that if I had only expected less than zero, I would then be excited by nothing. Good motto: As a Reds fan, nothing excites me.
    Speak for yourself, I'm making lemonade out of Dewayne Wise at the moment.

    Encarnacion and Claussen have already had their ST splashes. That's worth some enthusiasm for when the season starts.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  9. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'm making lemonade out of Dewayne Wise at the moment.
    see, it works

    Reds fans: because Nothing excites us

  10. #39
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,963

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2

    Encarnacion and Claussen have already had their ST splashes. That's worth some enthusiasm for when the season starts.
    Yes, but will Kearns do his April "splat." And Harang's shoulder do the "pop." Pena do the "fizzle."

    Stayed tuned. Unfortunately, the next five years of the franchise ride on the answers to those questions.

  11. #40
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    see, it works

    Reds fans: because Nothing excites us
    Ah, if you can't have fun with Dewayne Wise you can't have fun.

    Don't know how many times I can mention my excitement over Encarnacion before that registers with you. He's just not a ST sleeper.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  12. #41
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Yes, but will Kearns do his April "splat." And Harang's shoulder do the "pop." Pena do the "fizzle."

    Stayed tuned. Unfortunately, the next five years of the franchise ride on the answers to those questions.
    Well yeah, but since when is that news?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  13. #42
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,963

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Well yeah, but since when is that news?
    It doesn't have to be news.

    In fact, it can be moldering DanO speak.

    If only the new regime had the guts to scrap the "build from the bottom" nonsense.

    This team needs more than a regime change and a plan. It needs a sense of genuine urgency. It needs a front of the rotation starter. And they're out there.

    Fixing the minors is a given. A new regime, frankly, shouldn't even have to mention that. They should be talking about how to make the team a winner. Right now. And executing it.

  14. #43
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    It doesn't have to be news.

    In fact, it can be moldering DanO speak.

    If only the new regime had the guts to scrap the "build from the bottom" nonsense.

    This team needs more than a regime change and a plan. It needs a sense of genuine urgency. It needs a front of the rotation starter. And they're out there.

    Fixing the minors is a given. A new regime, frankly, shouldn't even have to mention that. They should be talking about how to make the team a winner. Right now. And executing it.
    All right, tell me how to make the Reds a winner right now ... because I don't think it can be done this year. Honestly, if the new regime (which has already moved faster to turnover the front offices than you suspected) were talking about trying to tweak the current product for a run at the playoffs I'd consider it to be more DanOesque stupidity.

    Krivsky needs to attack this roster with a cleaver and bring in youth that can put the club on a 2008/9 timeframe. The time for that will come this summer when the market opens up a bit. Though I'd like to see Weathers, Mercker and Williams shopped right now. Those are the guys for whom you might be able to get a bit of market in ST. Mind you, while I'd like to see the club do that, I don't think it's a damnable if it doesn't.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  15. #44
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,963

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    All right, tell me how to make the Reds a winner right now ... because I don't think it can be done this year. Honestly, if the new regime (which has already moved faster to turnover the front offices than you suspected) were talking about trying to tweak the current product for a run at the playoffs I'd consider it to be more DanOesque stupidity.

    Krivsky needs to attack this roster with a cleaver and bring in youth that can put the club on a 2008/9 timeframe. The time for that will come this summer when the market opens up a bit. Though I'd like to see Weathers, Mercker and Williams shopped right now. Those are the guys for whom you might be able to get a bit of market in ST. Mind you, while I'd like to see the club do that, I don't think it's a damnable if it doesn't.
    Beane turns questionable offensive talent/young pitching into a contender yearly.

    Schuerholz has taken the most godawful offenses and landed them in the playoffs for the last epoch.

    But each of these guys is hyperaggresive. The Twins haven't been, really, and that's the cultural hearth Krivsky's coming from.

    Casting your timeline three years into the future means it's okay to fail in the present. And the future always slides away.

  16. #45
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: So who's the sleeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Beane turns questionable offensive talent/young pitching into a contender yearly.
    Sure, but he does it by working an entire offseason and by scoring in and around the summer trade deadline. He's never once rebuilt his team during spring training.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Schuerholz has taken the most godawful offenses and landed them in the playoffs for the last epoch.
    I suggest you take another look at the Braves' offense. It's finished 4th, 5th and 1st in the NL in scoring the past three seasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    But each of these guys is hyperaggresive. The Twins haven't been, really, and that's the cultural hearth Krivsky's coming from.
    I don't need to be sold on hyperaggressive, but even hyperaggressive organizations aren't making deals right now. I'm sure you could hyperaggressively offer other team deals they can't refuse, but that's not likely to help your club. As for the Twins, they got oddly passive last season. Don't know why. They'd been fairly active in previous seasons. How that reflects on Krivsky is anyone's guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Casting your timeline three years into the future means it's okay to fail in the present. And the future always slides away.
    It's inevitable to fail in the present with this pitching staff. You want to change that, then you'd better be cognizant of the fact that a job this big will require a few years. Not only do you have to find good, young arms, but then you've to give them the time to mature. Harang took two years. Claussen, if he gets over the hump, will have taken three.

    I suppose you could go the JimBo/DanO crafty veteran route and hope to get lucky, but I'm beyond sick of that crap. It's a pretty simple choice these days. The Reds can do the hard work of building a pitching staff that's consistently good (which won't pay immediate dividends) or they can keep trying to draw three cards to a straight.

    I'm looking forward to seeing what Krivsky does in the summer market. If he does nothing or lands a pile of navel lint, then I'll be plenty ticked off about it. Yet this isn't the same as DanO coming to town and frittering away an entire offseason. The offseason was essentially over when Krivsky arrived. Like I said, I'm all for hypeaggressive, but anyone attempting a massive overhaul in the next three weeks would just be hyperspastic.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25