Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: So who's the sleeper?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: So who's the sleeper?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Beane turns questionable offensive talent/young pitching into a contender yearly.

Schuerholz has taken the most godawful offenses and landed them in the playoffs for the last epoch.

But each of these guys is hyperaggresive. The Twins haven't been, really, and that's the cultural hearth Krivsky's coming from.

Casting your timeline three years into the future means it's okay to fail in the present. And the future always slides away.
    If you are truly building for the future by accepting short-term failure at one level because of a situation that you can do nothing about, then I would say one is setting realistic goals. The success is then gauged by what you do in the short-term to accomplish that goal aimed at the future, instead of setting an unrealistic goal of contending in a season with a glaring organizational weakness.

We just fired the guy who did not understand or have the ability to diagnose and/or treat the patient. He simply tried to treat the patient with placebos made up of various inert ingredients while the patient was flatlining. Krivsky's pedigree is in a situation mirroring ours when Ryan took over. He at least has first-hand knowledge of a true rebuilding success story. All O'Brien had was a daddy in the business with limited success.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

What? No magical revival of Howington, Gruler, or Basham this season? Those are the only kind of sleepers I'd expect ... fallen, but once promising guys who everyone else has given up hope for. We've had so many pitchers go down, you'd think eventually ONE would come back and have an impact.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I'll do it....I'll say it....

Tony Womack.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion
    What? No magical revival of Howington, Gruler, or Basham this season? Those are the only kind of sleepers I'd expect ... fallen, but once promising guys who everyone else has given up hope for. We've had so many pitchers go down, you'd think eventually ONE would come back and have an impact.

Is there any chance at all any of those guys ever will be serviceable? I know they all had surgeries etc, but people have come back from Labrum tears etc. What stage are they at and any good news at all on them?

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    all else is of the "can Dwayne Wise or Dane Sardinha finally hit .240?" ilk. sheer boredom
    When did you and DeWayne Wise break up? IIRC, you were all over the Reds for not protecting him in the Rule V draft back in the 20th century. I'd have thought you'd be all over having him back with the Reds.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    When did you and DeWayne Wise break up? IIRC, you were all over the Reds for not protecting him in the Rule V draft back in the 20th century. I'd have thought you'd be all over having him back with the Reds.
    yup, and then Toronto ruined him

challenge thy hitters, don't sit 'em on a bench for the most important developmental year of their lives. Especially don't do it to a guy that barely projects with the bat anyway

Sicciardi

Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro

Reds need to install an orgasmatron in the clubhouse.

And Wily Mo needs to stop bogartin' the orb.

Just sayin'
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    He's got virtually no chance to make the team, but it seems Andy Abad is having a decent spring so far. I think he'll last longer than expected this spring. Not the most exciting sleeper, I know.
    I know it's cheesy to quote yourself, but I just couldn't resist.

Turn Off Ads?