Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personal encounters with rude athletes and/or celebrities

Personal encounters with rude athletes and/or celebrities

Have you had any personal encounters with a rude athlete?

Here are a couple that come to mind for me:

Ken Hill. Dude was nasty to me at ST 6 or 7 years ago. I asked him to sign an 8x10 and he yelled something at me that I couldn't understand. I saw him about 20 minutes later and again he literally yelled: "I told you, I DON'T SIGN 8x10s!" Geez. Sorry I asked.

Ken Griffey Jr. Now, don't get me wrong. I love the dude. I think he was having a bad day. My buddy and I had tried to get his sig for about 4 straight days at ST. One day he finally gave us glimmer of hope by telling us he'd likely sign after an intrasquad game. He came back by and completely ignored us. My buddy, under his breath mumbled, "A-Rod would sign." And then Jr. went off. Dropped the F-bomb in front of everyone (including kids). Disappointing.

Ken Caminiti. Ran into him once and tried to compliment him and he came off as an arrogant jerk. Don't know if that was out of character for him but it sure turned me off.

I just realized that all three of my guys so far are named Ken. Weird. Purely coincidence. Or are all Kens known to be grump-faces?

Oh...here's one. Jose Canseco. Jerk. My wife and I were watching him take BP in batting cage at ST...no one else around. He cracks his bat and sets it to the side. As he's leaving my wife asks him if she can have the bat as a souvenir. He responds, "No way. I'm keeping the F-ing bat until it F-ing breaks in two. O-kay Jose. Thanks bud.

My wife's cousin said she waitressed for Peyton Manning at a restaurant and found him to be a complete jerk (and a poor tipper). I find that hard to believe though.

James Brooks once lied to my friend and I telling us that he's not James Brooks. He wasn't nasty. He just denied being JB. We're huge Bengals fans and we knew it was him.

Guess you can't blame guys a lot of times. I'm sure they get bothered all the time. And, of course, I've come across MANY very rude fans.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: Personal encounters with rude athletes and/or celebrities

I've never had any celebrity encounters, but I do know some who have had encounters with Randy Moss and Amos Zereoue. Neither of them were very great, from what I was told.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I was at a signing at the old Kenwood Mall that had the members of the Bengals "Swat Team" from the 1988 season. Ickey Woods was standing behind the table, and since it was near closing time and no one else was around, I asked him for an autogrpah. He said he didn't sign autographs and was really rude. I asked him again-I have no idea why- and he again refused.

10 seconds later, he writes his name and number down for some girl (he was married at the time) standing there and was like, "Here baby, call me."

When I heard he was selling vacuum cleaners door to door, I was really happy about it. Jerk.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

The only encounter I ever had with a celebrity was when I met Chuck Yeager a few years ago at a dinner for Yeager Scholars at Marshall University. He was very cordial, autographed my copy of his biography, and was a blast to be around.
    One of my law partners encountered former Marshall and current Jets QB Chad Pennington a few years ago at a local Huntington restaurant. Chad was very gracious and signed autographs for my partner to take to his sons.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I have waited on countless celebrities and I have to say I never found any of them to be rude. (Normal folks, on the other hand...) I did have one very funny encounter with a very famous supermodel, who shall remain nameless, whose companion paid for her meal and left a generous tip, and after the two of them departed, said supermodel returned to the table and made off with the tip! It was too funny to be irritating.

I've met celebrities without waiting on them too and I've been lucky there too I guess. But this website is a great favorite in the service industry and is a lot of fun:

www.bitterwaitress.com
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

ironically Albert Belle was extremely diligent and gracious about signing autographs after an Indians game I went to in the mid 90s.

Phil Simms was a bit arrogant at his football camp at morehead state in the summer of '87. Freaking Phil McConkey and Mark Bavarro didn't even show up. Punks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    I was at a signing at the old Kenwood Mall that had the members of the Bengals "Swat Team" from the 1988 season. Ickey Woods was standing behind the table, and since it was near closing time and no one else was around, I asked him for an autogrpah. He said he didn't sign autographs and was really rude. I asked him again-I have no idea why- and he again refused.

10 seconds later, he writes his name and number down for some girl (he was married at the time) standing there and was like, "Here baby, call me."

When I heard he was selling vacuum cleaners door to door, I was really happy about it. Jerk.
    Must be something about those 1988 Bengals.

A few years ago, David Fulcher used to work at the company I now currently work for. Many of my co-workers also worked with him at the time, and not one of them has a nice thing to say about the guy.

John Riedling and Marquis Grissom are the only athletes ever to be rude to me, with Riedling doing it at Redsfest a few years ago. I actually tried to compliment Riedling by telling him I was glad the Reds didn't trade him during the 2003 firesale, but I think he thought I said I thought the Reds should have traded him. He gave me a dirty look and mumbled something underneath his breath that apparently weren't friendly words according to others that heard it, but I didn't hear what he said.

I probably deserved Marquis Grissom going off on me because I asked him what it felt like to play for a terrible team

On the other hand, I've had a ton of pleasant experiences. Ryan Wagner, Brandon Claussen, Adam Dunn and Sean Casey have all been exceptionally cordial to me. Chris Reitsma joked around with me about all the nightlife he hits after games (he'd also ask me if I knew various girls that he was staring at while talking to me).

Jeff Bagwell was also a very humble and standup guy when I got his autograph at a game during BP and we had a nice conversation about his recent hitting streaks, how he was holding up during the season, stuff like that.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Kirk Gibson 1985 spring training - I was visiting my grandmother at her winter home in Ft. Myers, Fl. and went to see a Tigers/Royals game at the Royals' s/t camp in Ft. Myers. When the Tigers came through to take the field, I tried to get Gibson to autograph a card and baseball for me and he literally knocked the baseball out of my hand and said "I don't have time for this crap, leave me alone right now." Lance Parrish was right behind him and gave Gibson the dirtiest look and I'm sure he also gave Gibson a few words of his own later. Anyway, Lance took my card of him (Parrish) and autographed it. He later brought me an autographed game ball, team picture, and a Tigers spring training jersey (I don't think they had dedicated batting practice jerseys then), minus Gibson's autograph.

I always liked Lance Parrish, but this made me appreciate the kind of person he truly was and made me spite the person that Gibson really was.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I have waited on countless celebrities and I have to say I never found any of them to be rude. (Normal folks, on the other hand...) I did have one very funny encounter with a very famous supermodel, who shall remain nameless, whose companion paid for her meal and left a generous tip, and after the two of them departed, said supermodel returned to the table and made off with the tip! It was too funny to be irritating.

I've met celebrities without waiting on them too and I've been lucky there too I guess. But this website is a great favorite in the service industry and is a lot of fun:

www.bitterwaitress.com
    Oh come on! Give us a name! We won't tell.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I haven't encountered many rude athletes except for Stephane Robidas (a hockey player for the Blackhawks at the time). He snubbed me for an autograph and really wasn't very pleasant.

Most players are pretty cool. Mike Gallo and Morgan Ensberg are 2 of the nicer guys I have encountered.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The only encounter I ever had with a celebrity was when I met Chuck Yeager a few years ago at a dinner for Yeager Scholars at Marshall University. He was very cordial, autographed my copy of his biography, and was a blast to be around.
    Chuck stopped by Sporty's Pilot Shop when I worked there back in the 80s. Great guy.

ironically Albert Belle was extremely diligent and gracious about signing autographs after an Indians game I went to in the mid 90s.
    Albert had some problems, sure, but I've heard nothing but nice things from people who have approached him in a nice way.

Another story I heard about a celebrity but did not experience first hand:

Before Andre Agassi turned pro, he was playing a friend of mine's son down in Bradenton. Agassi showed up in jeans and a polo shirt to play in, and when my friend questioned him about his non-athletic attire he said, "This guy isn't worth dressing up for," not knowing he was talking to his opponent's mother.

The best part of the story is that she essentially agreed with Agassi- she knew he was going to get killed- but it really hurt her feelings. Being the true tennis fan she is, though, she still loves Andre (as do I- he is probably my favorite athlete of all time).
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ochre

Phil Simms was a bit arrogant at his football camp at morehead state in the summer of '87. Freaking Phil McConkey and Mark Bavarro didn't even show up. Punks.
    Hey, hey... Mark Bavarro is so far from being a punk. He probably wouldn't even say s*** if he stepped in it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    John Riedling and Marquis Grissom are the only athletes ever to be rude to me, with Riedling doing it at Redsfest a few years ago. I actually tried to compliment Riedling by telling him I was glad the Reds didn't trade him during the 2003 firesale, but I think he thought I said I thought the Reds should have traded him. He gave me a dirty look and mumbled something underneath his breath that apparently weren't friendly words according to others that heard it, but I didn't hear what he said.
    I've seen Reidling a few times at Redsfest and he's always been nicer than nice. He honestly must have thought you said something rude to him.

Chris Reitsma joked around with me about all the nightlife he hits after games (he'd also ask me if I knew various girls that he was staring at while talking to me).
    This absolutely SHOCKS me!

Everything I've ever read points to him as being a very happily-married family man.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I probably deserved Marquis Grissom going off on me because I asked him what it felt like to play for a terrible team
    I know you're saying this in good fun. I've heard Grissom is a great guy from multiple sources.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Watch out for Natalie Portman. She's OG.

http://www.nbc.com/Video/videos/snl_...alieraps.shtml
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?