Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Royals Sign David DeJesus

Royals Sign David DeJesus

David DeJesus to a 5-year deal with a club option for a 6th year. DeJesus will get $13.5M over the five year period of the contract. The five years exactly covers DeJesus non-free agent career. The option year would be his first year of free agent eligibility.

i really don't understand that contract...or locking him up this long before his arb years.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Royals Sign David DeJesus

maybe KC just doesn't have anyone else to give the money to
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think this is a GREAT move for the Royals, ASSUMING they project him to continue his devlopment curve.

Heck, at this rate of development, he'll be worth $10 million in his last year of arb eligibility alone, and this contract will be a steal.

I love DeJesus. He has the potential to have Paul O'Neill's bat, with the wheels to play a plus centerfield.

For the record, Baseball Prospectus gives him a 2006 valuation of $7.4 million (this valuation is independent of service time.... it looks purely at dollar per projected win), which I THINK is higher than any Reds player besides Dunn.

This is a risk I'd take. He's the kind of guy I bet on.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Probably a year early, but still a petty good contract for a guy they hope will be the face of the organization.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Sources said last night on WTAM-1100 in Cleveland said that Jhonny Peralta was going to do the same type of deal with the Indians.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Bill Veeck suggested teams do this in one of his books - and this was even before there was such a thing as arbitration. He compared it to the 7 year contract up and coming actors and actresses used to sign with motion picture studios back in the day. They're paying him $2.7M a year for 5 years. He could flourish like Adam Dunn has and it would be a huge bargain for the Royals. They wouldn't have to worry about trading him to another team because he's too expensive. If he flops or is injured you're probably going to give him a few years to prove that his flop year is an aberration or hope he gets healthy. If you want to cut bait on him, he's making a reasonable salary so someone will probably take him in a trade. Even if you have to release him, you're only paying him $2.7M a year. Hopefully that would come with only a year or so on his deal. The Reds might want to look into doing a deal like this for Encarnacion if he has a season this year that lives up to his promise.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I think FeLo and EE are prime candidates for such a contract. FeLo in particular since he has a solid year last season. EE still needs to show himself this year.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I hope your right, and that FeLo has turned the corner. If last year is a sign of things to come, then he should be offered a long term deal too.

I have more confidence in DeJesus maintaining his growth curve than Lopez. He has more of a track record of success at the major league level.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Turn Off Ads?