Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonds bombshell: Book details slugger's steroid use

Bonds bombshell: Book details slugger's steroid use

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

Bonds exposed
    Shadows details superstar slugger's steroid use
    Posted: Tuesday March 7, 2006 12:55PM; Updated: Tuesday March 7, 2006 12:55PM

NEW YORK (SI.com) -- Beginning in 1998 with injections in his buttocks of Winstrol, a powerful steroid, Barry Bonds took a wide array of performance-enhancing drugs over at least five seasons in a massive doping regimen that grew more sophisticated as the years went on, according to Game of Shadows, a book written by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters at the forefront of reporting on the BALCO steroid distribution scandal.

(An excerpt of Game of Shadows that details Bonds' steroid use appears exclusively in the March 13 issue of Sports Illustrated, which is available on newsstands beginning on Wednesday. The book's publication date is March 27.)

The authors, Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, describe in sometimes day-to-day, drug-by-drug detail how often and how deeply Bonds engaged in the persistent doping. For instance, the authors write that by 2001, when Bonds broke Mark McGwire's single-season home-run record (70) by belting 73, Bonds was using two designer steroids referred to as the Cream and the Clear, as well as insulin, human growth hormone, testosterone decanoate (a fast-acting steroid known as Mexican beans) and trenbolone, a steroid created to improve the muscle quality of cattle.

BALCO tracked Bonds' usage with doping calendars and folders -- detailing drugs, quantities, intervals and Bonds' testosterone levels -- that wound up in the hands of federal agents upon their Sept. 3, 2003 raid of the Burlingame, Calif., business.

Depending on the substance, Bonds used the drugs in virtually every conceivable form: injecting himself with a syringe or being injected by his trainer, Greg Anderson, swallowing pills, placing drops of liquid under his tongue, and, in the case of BALCO's notorious testosterone-based cream, applying it topically.

According to the book, Bonds gulped as many as 20 pills at a time and was so deeply reliant on his regimen that he ordered Anderson to start "cycles" -- a prescribed period of steroid use lasting about three weeks -- even when he was not due to begin one. Steroid users typically stop usage for a week or two periodically to allow the body to continue to produce natural testosterone; otherwise, such production diminishes or ceases with the continued introduction of synthetic forms of the muscle-building hormone.

Bonds called for the re-starting of cycles when he felt his energy and power start to drop. If Anderson told Bonds he was not due for another cycle, the authors write, Bonds would tell him, "F--- off, I'll do it myself.''

The authors compiled the information over a two-year investigation that included, but was not limited to, court documents, affidavits filed by BALCO investigators, confidential memoranda of federal agents (including statements made to them by athletes and trainers), grand jury testimony, audiotapes and interviews with more than 200 sources. Some of the information previously was reported by the authors in the Chronicle. Some of the information is new. For instance, in an extensive note on sourcing, the authors said memos detailing statements by BALCO owner Victor Conte, vice president James Valente and Anderson to IRS special agent Jeff Novitzky were sealed when they first consulted them, but have been unsealed since.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bonds bombshell: Book details slugger's steroid use

Sure to outsell Christy Walsh's stories of the Babe and his love of hot dogs.

There will still be a large group of Bonds supporters. This book will make his kids cry. Unbelievable...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm shocked.

I wonder if this cause the man to step down.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I've never doubted that Bonds used steroids. I just never thought he was such a maniac about it. That is, if the story is true.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Yikes.

(if true)

To endanger your health like that..just baffling.
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field

And the sun rises in the east. And chickens do not have lips. And a bear craps in the woods. Yet some people refuse to believe that B*O*N*D*S has done any steroids. Only a urine test will convince them. Such is life.

Baseball's future HR King... baseball's future HR-King and Hits-King are some real fine people. OUCH!

:thumbdown

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The only question remaining for me in all of this Bonds stuff is how big a pile of evidence baseball needs before they finally do the right thing and publicly denounce Barry and his "accomplishments" over the past years.

Speaking purely as a fan of the game (and divorcing myself from logic, to a certain extent, as a fan), every passing day increases my desire to see an asterisk added to his records.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Bonds was a big time steroid user. He knew he was using, and he did so to hit more home runs. End of story, enough of this 'alleged,' 'if true' bunk. If there is anything we do well in America it is the perpetuation of myths, and I am tired of the 'we will never know if Bonds used steroids' baloney.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff
    Bonds was a big time steroid user. He knew he was using, and he did so to hit more home runs. End of story, enough of this 'alleged,' 'if true' bunk. If there is anything we do well in America is perpetuating myths, and I am tired of the 'we will never know if Bonds used steroids' baloney.
    The anecdotal evidence has always been overwhelming.

Barry's spin machine must be working overtime today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It's beyond overwhelming. The guy should be banned from the sport and his records erased. RIGHT NOW.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

If there was a shred of information in this story that was NOT true you can bet Bonds and a team of lawyers would have sued SI already. Therefore, I am sure SI has their information and can back it up.

It will be the first copy of Sports Illustrated I have bought in years.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    It's beyond overwhelming. The guy should be banned from the sport and his records erased. RIGHT NOW.
    Just playing Devil's advocate here but why? What he did then was not against MLB rules. If they want to denounce him, as Caveat said they should do, that's fine but banning him isn't the answer.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?