Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonds bombshell: Book details slugger's steroid use

Re: Bonds bombshell: Book details slugger's steroid use

What will be interesting is how Bonds' apologist Harold Reynolds reacts on BBTN. He's been Barry's biggest cheerleader over the years.

My guess is he will say the steroids didn't help him hit a baseball.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    What will be interesting is how Bonds' apologist Harold Reynolds reacts on BBTN. He's been Barry's biggest cheerleader over the years.

My guess is he will say the steroids didn't help him hit a baseball.
    Of course not, doubling your HR rate after age 35 is a common occurence.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    My guess is the league agrees to pay off Bonds' contract, the Giants release him and no one ever makes a phone call to the guy after that.
    Something like that would border dangerously close to collusion. I'm not sure the owners want to travel that path again.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    I believe he did.
    So that's why my baseball game has Reggie Stocker instead of Bonds...

The real ground of this discussion should not take place around violation of MLB rules, rather potential violation of federal laws regarding steroid use. Obviously, MLB did not have rules in place to punish users beyond their use of illegal substances. That will have to be the angle of pursuit.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    So that's why my baseball game has Reggie Stocker instead of Bonds...

The real ground of this discussion should not take place around violation of MLB rules, rather potential violation of federal laws regarding steroid use. Obviously, MLB did not have rules in place to punish users beyond their use of illegal substances. That will have to be the angle of pursuit.
    Didn't he get immunity to testify in front of the grand jury? If so, the only thing the feds could get him for would be perjury - if he actually did perjure himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Something like that would border dangerously close to collusion. I'm not sure the owners want to travel that path again.
    As long as the league doesn't put out an edict against signing Bonds I think it's safe. My guess is he'd just go the way of Palmeiro, where everyone independently decided against signing him.

The only team that might try to ink him would be the Yankees if Steinbrenner got desperate.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I checked barrybonds.com earlier, no statement yet
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

We'll see what the fan reaction is, but I'm guessing Bonds gets heckled constantly during ST while public outcry for him to leave becomes so loud that the Giants and MLB feel compelled to act upon it.
    I hope you are right but I don't think Bonds cares. He's been heckled before. If he's physically able (a big if) , he'll play this year. I look for him to break Ruth's 714 and fall short of 755 while playing in about 80-100 games

As MWM noted, he's not a member of the MLBPA.

FWIW, I think you've hit the nail on the head about the payoff. My guess is the league agrees to pay off Bonds' contract, the Giants release him and no one ever makes a phone call to the guy after that.
    Either that, or the Giants would just tell him to stay home and not play him. I don't see Bonds playing another game after this, honestly. The spectacle would simply be too great.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    A dose of paranoia and huge chip on his shoulder is what drives Bonds, he is not going to walk away. Being blackballed is the only thing that would end his career.
    I dunno...I definitely see your point given the man he is, but I think this may overpower even his paranoia. All along the big thing backing it up was "NO EVIDENCE!!" and this is pretty damning evidence. I admit that my belief that he's done now is colored by my own viewpoint; I can't even imagine giving up what little dignity I had left my stepping onto a baseball field at this point when it seems almost worthless to do so. what's he going to prove now? But admittedly Bonds and I probably don't think smililarly.

Griffey looks better to me than ever. If he ever were to be accused of something like this I would cry for days.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Washington Nationals are operating under a similar umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    I hope you are right but I don't think Bonds cares. He's been heckled before. If he's physically able (a big if) , he'll play this year. I look for him to break Ruth's 714 and fall short of 755 while playing in about 80-100 games
    Bonds may not care--and honestly probably doesn't. But the Giants care. if they think the Barry Bonds show has been a circus in the past, they couldn't possibly be prepared for what would come if Barry keeps playing this year and manages to threaten Aaron's record.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

As MWM noted, he's not a member of the MLBPA.

FWIW, I think you've hit the nail on the head about the payoff. My guess is the league agrees to pay off Bonds' contract, the Giants release him and no one ever makes a phone call to the guy after that.
    Has that ever happened before?

As long as the league doesn't put out an edict against signing Bonds I think it's safe. My guess is he'd just go the way of Palmeiro, where everyone independently decided against signing him.

The only team that might try to ink him would be the Yankees if Steinbrenner got desperate.

That's a good example and it might work. Although, I think someone would at least offer him a job. Maybe only a minor league contract but I think someone would be willing/desperate enough, to take a chance on him.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

First, Bonds is a member of MLBPA, however, he is not a part of their merchandise contract.

Second, I'd be surprised if Bonds' health permitted him to play this season. His knees are shot. If he plays at all, I don't think he'll be travelling to opposing parks. The Giants are going to milk the Bonds circus until that cow has gone dry. Maybe it already has, but I'm sure the idea of a controversial Bonds spurring big ticket sales is music to that club's ears.

Turn Off Ads?