Turn Off Ads?

Thread: UC hires search firm for next basketball coach (3/10)

UC hires search firm for next basketball coach (3/10)

Friday, March 10, 2006
    UC hires search firm

Eleven days after University of Cincinnati athletic director Mike Thomas wrote a letter to boosters in which he said he had “no plans to utilize the assistance of an external search firm” to help him find UC’s next head basketball coach, the school has hired a search firm.

UC associate athletic director Brian Teter confirmed today that the school has hired the Dallas-based firm of Eastman-Beaudine, the same firm that identified Thomas as the leading candidate for the UC athletic director job last fall.

Thomas, who arrived at UC after serving for five years as the athletic director at Akron, took over the Bearcat athletic program on Dec. 1.

In a letter to UC boosters dated Feb. 27, 2006, Thomas wrote that he has “been in discussions daily with some of the most well-connected, experienced professionals in college basketball today.”

Thomas has said in previous statements and reiterated in the letter that current interim head coach Andy Kennedy is a candidate for the vacancy that was created when Bob Huggins’ contract was terminated last August.

“Whether it is on paper or stored in our heads, most AD’s (sic) have a general idea of the type of coach they would pursue if an opening presented itself in basketball or any other sport,” Thomas wrote. “In this case, I began refinining my list before I officially began at the University of Cincinnati on Dec. 1 and yes, Coach Kennedy is definitely on it.”

Thomas did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

In a statement released by UC, Thomas said:

“We are entering a critical time in our search where background checks, referencing, and ultimately, contract negotiations will become extremely important.”

“Not only will Eastman & Beaudine provide assistance in these key areas, but they will also help us maintain confidentiality and bring the process to a successful conclusion in the quickest manner possible.”

E-mail: bkoch@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...0101/303100019
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UC hires search firm for next basketball coach (3/10)

Strange, I did not know this was common practice, if it is, for athletic departments looking to fill a high profile Div I coaching job, to use a "search firm."

Retired

Yet about a week or two ago Mike Thomas sent a letter to UCATS members saying he had no intention to hire a search firm because it wasn't needed.

Here is the official statement on it.

CINCINNATI, Ohio – The University of Cincinnati has secured the services of Eastman & Beaudine, Inc. to assist in the final phase of their basketball coaching search, Director of Athletics Mike Thomas announced today.

“We are entering a critical time in our search where background checks, referencing, and ultimately, contract negotiations will become extremely important,” Thomas said. “Not only will Eastman & Beaudine provide assistance in these key areas, but they will also help us maintain confidentiality and bring the process to a successful conclusion in the quickest manner possible.”

Thomas added that current interim head coach Andy Kennedy is among the finalists for the position.
    Sorry, but anyone that still believes Andy Kennedy has a shot at this job is living in a dream world. I called a friend of mine who works in the UC athletic office and this is the exact quote "You don't need background checks and referencing for a coach who's been a UC employee for 6 years, or outside help to negotiate a new contract with a coach who you already employ". You can read into that whatever you want, but people inside UC are telling me Kennedy has no shot at this job at all, none. According to somethings I've heard he isn't interested in taking the job either given the circumstances that surround it.

Outside firms typically don't handle the hiring of coaches, most D1 schools use an internal committee structure, and that's mostly for show. I've dealt with enough corporate stuff to know the only reason you bring in an outside search firm is because you need someone to take the blame when things go south. I can only see two reasons they would hire these people to handle the final phase of this. 1) They aren't hiring Kennedy and the new coach is likely going to be some no name and they need to be able to divert the blame onto said search firm. This way Nancy Zimpher can claim she didn't make the decision, the search firm did. 2) There is a big time coach at another program that is their #1 choice. A search firm can be in direct contact with coaches under contract to another school without requesting permission from that coaches current employer, a University representative (like Mike Thomas) cannot. You don't pay an outside firm big bucks (usually $30-$50k) to hire Joe Blow from the Horizon league.

Aside from that, who knows? Nothing this administration has done thus far has made much sense; I expect the coaching hire to end in a pile of flaming wreckage as well.

Regardless of who they hire, the new HC is going to have a horrid rookie year. The Bearcats are losing four of their top five scorers, have no recruits on the horizon, and have a grand total of one guy over 6'6" returning. The 2006-07 Bearcats are going to be Tony Yates-era bad.

I'll be shocked if the new head coach makes it past his second year. The guy who replaces Kennedy, much like Kennedy himself, is going to to be canned long before this team turns it around.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 03-11-2006 at 01:28 AM.

University of Cincinnati

Actually Abdul Herrera will be returning and hes 6'10
    THE University of Cincinnati

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    Actually Abdul Herrera will be returning and hes 6'10
    If Kennedy isn't retained that means Frank Martin won't be back, Martin was a huge figure in his decision to come here. I'd say it's 50/50 might transfer, same with Downey.

So what is the starting lineup going to look like in 2006-07?

C - Herrera/Allen/juco recruit
    PF - McGowan
    SF - Coleman/juco recruit
    SG - juco recruit
    PG - Downey/Tilford

That is one very short and EXTREMELY inexperienced team. No matter how you slice it, the Bearcats will only have two guys (Downey, McGowan) in their rotation with experience versus BE level competition. That adds up to one seriously UGLY season.

I hope whatever job Andy Kennedy gets, he gets UC on the schedule and he waxes them.

Might has well hire Tony Yates and be done with it.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

A member at the club where I work runs the Big O's foundation/organization and said it came straight from Oscar's mouth that Andy's out.

It's a shame, I thought he did such a great job with the current Bearcats.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook

PF - McGowan
    SG - juco recruit
    PG - Downey/Tilford

That is one very short and EXTREMELY inexperienced team. No matter how you slice it, the Bearcats will only have two guys (Downey, McGowan) in their rotation with experience versus BE level competition. That adds up to one seriously UGLY season.
    Coleman left the team about 2 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Coleman left the team about 2 months ago.
    Doh! Right you are. That just makes matters worse.

I am really not looking forward to next year. We got by this year based on the experience of the senior class and the grit/determination/athleticism of Eric Hicks down in the paint. With Hicks and the rest of the senior class gone, things look grim indeed.

Yeah, I think Kennedy's gone. Why hire an outside firm if you have the guy you want right under your nose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Regardless of who they hire, the new HC is going to have a horrid rookie year.
    3-4 years is more like it. I wouldn't be surprised if Downey leaves as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Yeah, I think Kennedy's gone. Why hire an outside firm if you have the guy you want right under your nose?
    if he's smart he wouldn't take the job. He has proved he can coach but he isn't going to be able to fill Huggins shoes especially with three punted recruiting classes.

There are going to have a terrible time filling the position if Kennedy is offered and walks anyway.

PF - McGowan
    SG - juco recruit
    PG - Downey/Tilford

Both McGowan and Downey have insinuated they will leave.

Turn Off Ads?