Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chat with Jason Larue on Monday, 3/13

Chat with Jason Larue on Monday, 3/13

Chat with Jason LaRue on Monday
    The Reds' longest-tenured current player, catcher Jason LaRue signed a two-year contract in December 2005 after he established new career highs with a .260 average and 60 RBIs in 110 games (104 starts) last season. You can chat online with LaRue on Monday, March 13, at 3 p.m. ET from Reds' Spring Training camp in Sarasota, Fla.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...chat/index.jsp
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chat with Jason Larue on Monday, 3/13

Here's the chat log. I believe next week will be Felipe

3:05 pm LaRue: Howdy ya'll

Gloria_Astorga:
    3:06 pm What are your hobbies?

3:06 pm LaRue: Hunting and spending time with my family.

devinrave7_yahoo_com:
    3:06 pm Hi Jason, with all the major changes that have happened this year, in your mind has this made the Reds a contender team?

3:07 pm LaRue: Absolutley. It seems like with the decisions and people we've gotten rid of, front office and ownership, no doubt we're going in the right direction and making wise decision.

redschick0509:
    3:07 pm Hey Jason! My question is what has the atmosphere been like so far during spring training, especially with all the changes that have occurred? Also, good luck to you and the rest of the guys this season!

3:08 pm LaRue: The atmosphere has been upbeat and basically everyone in the club house is very happy with the desicions and changes that have been made.

ballparkbasher:
    3:08 pm How did Sean Casey's departure to the Pirates affect you? You seem to be an obvious replacement for the clubhouse leader since you are the longest tenured Red with a lot of big league experience. How do feel about a leadership role?

3:08 pm LaRue: It was obviously a hard departure, he was one of my best friends on the team. But it's something I have to deal with and move on.

3:09 pm LaRue: I feel like I've always been in a leadership role because of the position that I play. In my position, you always have to be a leader. So therefore, I don't think it's going to be much of a change for me.

Tatem_Miller:
    3:09 pm Where's your favorite place to eat in Cincinnati?

3:10 pm LaRue: The Precinct or Carlo & Johnny's

tripcrown:
    3:10 pm Who is your all-time favorite Red players?

cinciredsgirl:
    3:11 pm During your time with the Reds, have you had a specific pitcher that you like to catch for?

3:12 pm LaRue: I would say no. Because my duties are to catch all of the pitchers and have a great relationship with all of them. That goes with being a great catcher; you have to have a great relationship with every pitcher you catch. That is part of your duty.

ballparkbasher:
    3:12 pm What have you been up to in the offseason?

3:13 pm LaRue: Hunting and spending time on my ranch with my family

ballparkbasher:
    3:13 pm Who are some of your best friends on the team?

3:14 pm LaRue: Shackleford, Kearns, Dunn, Milton, Wilson, Belisile

Base_Ball_3:
    3:14 pm hey jason , coming into spring training what part of your game where you looking to improve the most?

3:15 pm LaRue: None in particular, just focusing on doing everything -- all -around catching game and also improve hitting.

redleg2006:
    3:17 pm Mr.LaRue, what is your honest opinion of the WBC?

3:18 pm LaRue: for some players it's great that they can serve their countries, with other players, it might hurt them. It might take time away from Spring Training, when they are all playing for their countries.

ballparkbasher:
    3:18 pm You seem to get hit by a lot of pitches. Why do some guys get hit more than others?

3:19 pm LaRue: I crowd the plate a little bit. Pitchers are less likley to make a mistake when you're hitting in the eighth hole because you have the pitcher hitting behind you. So their mistakes will be pretty far off the plate, so that's why I get hit.

Rodney_Jayne:
    3:20 pm Do you have a favorite song or singer?

3:20 pm LaRue: Favorite singer is George Strait. Favorite song is -- too many to list, by George.

Base_Ball_2:
    3:21 pm Where do you go to vaction?

3:21 pm LaRue: This year we went to Turks & Caicos islands.

moosegirl1:
    3:22 pm Hi, Jason. What is your offseason workout? Has the routine changed over the years?

3:23 pm LaRue: I start working out around the first of Nov with weights. Do that until hte first of the year. then I start doing baseball related activities -- hitting and throwing.

3:23 pm LaRue: My routine has changed slightly. Now that I've gotten older I've got to stretch more.

Dylan_Carter:
    3:23 pm How is the team's chemistry?

3:23 pm LaRue: The team chemistry is great. Pretty much every year we've had a great team chemistry.

Shawn_Mullen:
    3:24 pm What team are you looking forward to playing the most in the upcoming season?

3:24 pm LaRue: I would sayHouston, because that's when I get to see my family -- my mom and dad, my wife's family, and brothers and sisters.

redsfan54_msn_com:
    3:25 pm If you were offered, would you have played in the WBC?

3:26 pm LaRue: No. Because I think that Spring Training is a time to get ready for the reg season and is a time for our team to get better. If I had left, being the starting catcher, it would not have been good for my team or my teammates.

Shawn_Mullen:
    3:26 pm what made you decide to sign another contract with the reds during the off season

3:27 pm LaRue: Becuase of the changes that have been made. It seems like now the Reds are going in the right direction. It year's past it was always talked about, but were not. But now with all of the front office changes that have been made I feel like now were are going in the right direction.

ballparkbasher:
    3:28 pm What is life like as a big league ballplayer? Do you have to pinch yourself when you see thousands of people cheering for you?

3:29 pm LaRue: For me it's a great life. I been fortunate to be able to do what I want to in life. Not to many people as a kid get the chance to follow their dream. No, I don't have to pinch myself, but it is one of the greatest feelings in the world.

ballparkbasher:
    3:29 pm What is your favorite ballpark to play in?

3:29 pm LaRue: Other than Great American Ballpark, I would have to say St. Louis.

caredsfan:
    3:31 pm Hi Jason. I'm the #1 Reds fan in California. The catcher is seen as the leader out on the field. You seem to enjoy this role? Also, what makes you so darn tough? Between catching and getting plunked, you are nails. Have a great 2006!

3:33 pm LaRue: The reason I enjoy the catching position and the role that it plays is because every single play of the game I am basically involved with in some way shape or form. What makes me so tough is probably the way my mom and dad brought me up. It was instilled in me to go out and help my team win.

3:33 pm LaRue: Thanks for chatting today. Hope to see you at the ballpark in 2006.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Ouch...

devinrave7_yahoo_com:
    3:06 pm Hi Jason, with all the major changes that have happened this year, in your mind has this made the Reds a contender team?

3:07 pm LaRue: Absolutley. It seems like with the decisions and people we've gotten rid of, front office and ownership, no doubt we're going in the right direction and making wise decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Shawn_Mullen:
    3:26 pm what made you decide to sign another contract with the reds during the off season

3:27 pm LaRue: Becuase of the changes that have been made. It seems like now the Reds are going in the right direction. It year's past it was always talked about, but were not. But now with all of the front office changes that have been made I feel like now were are going in the right direction.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't LaRue sign before the FO changes were made? Were there rumors going around beforehand, is he being forgetful, or am I reading too much into this?

Thanks for the transcript, Chip.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

The players obviously did not care much for O'Brien anymore than the rest of us did.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

NJReds,

That's the same part of the article that jumped out at me as well.

Ouch!
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    NJReds,

That's the same part of the article that jumped out at me as well.

Ouch!
    I think it was the money. Don't you?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    ballparkbasher:
    3:29 pm What is your favorite ballpark to play in?

3:29 pm LaRue: Other than Great American Ballpark, I would have to say St. Louis.
    I hope LaRue knows that Busch Stadium doesn't exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    I hope LaRue knows that Busch Stadium doesn't exist anymore.
    Well, that one doesn't. The new one is going to be called Busch Stadium too.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Busch Stadium III I think it is.
    Go Gators!

I didn't think anything about this until it was pointed out. I guess I read it as pertaining to all the management changes, not players. He already said earlier that Casey is one of his best friends (if that's what people are saying Ouch! to).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't LaRue sign before the FO changes were made? Were there rumors going around beforehand, is he being forgetful, or am I reading too much into this?
    LaRue re-upped December 20th, but regardless of the timing, EVERYONE has known since November (at minimum) that ownership was changing. With the state of the Reds, I'm sure he felt that change was needed and he saw it as a step in the right direction.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote:

I didn't think anything about this until it was pointed out. I guess I read it as pertaining to all the management changes, not players. He already said earlier that Casey is one of his best friends (if that's what people are saying Ouch! to).
    I was saying 'ouch' because you don't often see ballplayers come out and just hammer the previous owner/GM. He could've said "I like the direction we're going" but he went out of his way to say "people we've gotten rid of, front office and ownership"...quite a hammer job on Linder and DOB.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    I was saying 'ouch' because you don't often see ballplayers come out and just hammer the previous owner/GM. He could've said "I like the direction we're going" but he went out of his way to say "people we've gotten rid of, front office and ownership"...quite a hammer job on Linder and DOB.
    Ah, ok... I misunderstood.

Funny thing about that too. During some "event" late in the fall (November maybe?) that took place at the GAB, Jason LaRue was present in the audience and sitting next to Carl Lindner. For the life of me, I can't remember what the event was even though it was televised. It's right there on the edge of my brain, but I can't seem to reach out and grab it.

It was a non-baseball event, and I remember being surprised that LaRue come to town for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Ah, ok... I misunderstood.

Funny thing about that too. During some "event" late in the fall (November maybe?) that took place at the GAB, Jason LaRue was present in the audience and sitting next to Carl Lindner. For the life of me, I can't remember what the event was even though it was televised. It's right there on the edge of my brain, but I can't seem to reach out and grab it.
    It was a political rally and it was in 2004.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Thanks, Chip.

Turn Off Ads?