Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bowden "embarrassed" and not because of his leather pants

Bowden "embarrassed" and not because of his leather pants

VIERA, Fla. -- Any early concerns must come with this caveat: This is spring training, and these games don't mean a thing.
    But there have been some disturbing developments at Washington Nationals camp in the last few days, disturbing enough to cause the general manager to hold a 10-minute, closed-door meeting with his manager, then repeatedly declare himself "embarrassed" while promising massive changes in the next 48 hours.
    Clearly, this is no longer just spring training.
    "I don't want to be embarrassed, that's the only thing I ask," general manager Jim Bowden said yesterday after his Nationals fell to 1-6-1 in spring training. "I don't have any criticism about effort. I have no criticism about the work ethic. I just don't want to be embarrassed, and I've been embarrassed the last two days."
    Bowden said that after watching his team lose 7-4 in 10 innings to the St. Louis Cardinals, a game that featured three Nationals errors, including one by center fielder Marlon Byrd that allowed the winning run to score. A day earlier, Washington slogged its way through an atrocious 22-12 loss to the Florida Marlins that Frank Robinson called "the worst game I've ever been associated with."
    Throw in an 11-1 split-squad loss to the Houston Astros on Monday, and the Nationals aren't exactly playing crisp baseball less than four weeks from Opening Day.
    Robinson, who walked into his office yesterday afternoon with Bowden already waiting for him, wasn't as upset as his GM with this latest performance.
    "Yesterday, everybody should be embarrassed," he said. "But today, I wasn't embarrassed. I just don't understand why you can't catch and throw the ball. ... We should be able to make those plays. Am I embarrassed by it? Not really. I'm not upset about it, but I'd like us to be sharper."
    And that can be difficult when you're playing mostly minor leaguers and others with little chance of cracking the 25-man roster as the Nationals have been doing. With seven players gone for up to three weeks at the World Baseball Classic and several others still recovering from injury, Washington has been fielding some thin squads during these early exhibitions (even with 69 players on the spring roster).
    That's especially true with the pitching staff, which to date has been made up mostly of names even the most ardent fan would struggle to recognize.
    The Nationals have played a total of 10 exhibition games (including two against foreign clubs) yet have gotten only 162/3 innings out of pitchers with a reasonable shot at making the team. Seven veterans have yet to make their spring debuts, either because of injuries or the WBC: Tony Armas Jr., Pedro Astacio, Luis Ayala, Ryan Drese, Joey Eischen, Livan Hernandez and Gary Majewski.
    That will change today, when both Hernandez and Astacio take the hill against the Florida Marlins.

Em d
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bowden "embarrassed" and not because of his leather pants

The only thing I can think of that would be more difficult than embarrassing Jim Bowden would be convincing the pope to have a partial birth abortion.

Makes all the routine posts.

It's all about him, isn't it? Looks like, just as it did here, no pitching grows where JimBo goes.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    It's all about him, isn't it? Looks like, just as it did here, no pitching grows where JimBo goes.
    Apples don't fall far from the tree, eh Chip?

Btw - nice avatar. I'm interested to see which long-timer changes his/her's next. I'd vote Krono, but I'm not sure if he knows how...
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Apples don't fall far from the tree, eh Chip?

Btw - nice avatar. I'm interested to see which long-timer changes his/her's next. I'd vote Krono, but I'm not sure if he knows how...
    He has his Gator flag. He didn't bust it out this year tho.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I bust it out come toruny time

Also I have the hat dude..that RL says is creepy
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?