Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umm..

Umm..

I know it is Spring Training, but looking at these numbers, it's kind of alarming.

I know you can't expect a .400 hitter in ST, to stay the way..but can you really expect a .040 hitter to suddenly go to .260 in the regular season?

Freel 0.42
    vs.
    Womack .350

Dunn .158
    vs.
    Wise .500

Larue .158
    vs.
    Sardihna .286

Kearns .190
    vs.
    McCracken .455

..interesting.
    BARRY LARKIN -- BEST PLAYER EVER.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Umm..

Yes you can expect just that. If you take anything away from spring training games in terms of average etc. and project that as a prelude for what to expect in the regular season, you are making a mistake.

At most, at MOST, you can look at how certain guys are driving the ball etc., but the sample size is so small and the competition they are facing so uneven, that you don't waste a minute worrying about the spring vets who have proven themselves are having.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Remember how bad the Bengals looked in preseason games?

Once the opener came, they turned it on.....maybe the case will be the same for our redlegs.

I'm worried about whether the Reds will get 180 innings out of any single starter on the roster.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

In addition, a lot of players use ST to tweak their batting stance, plate approach, swing, batter's eye, etc. Most times, experimenting on such things will affect the numbers... and not for the good.

I don't worry about it for that reason.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I am a bit worried about Freel. He didn't exactly finish on a strong note in 2005. (.224 after July).
    I'd really like him to start hitting.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

If anyone thinks that any of the bottom four in that comparison come close to matching up with the skills and talent level of the top four, I have some news for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm worried about whether the Reds will get 180 innings out of any single starter on the roster.
    Aaron Harang gave 'em 211 last year.

He might top that this year.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

If he's healthy
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Aaron Harang gave 'em 211 last year.

He might top that this year.
    What Krono said. I'm not banking on a healthy start to the season for Harang.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Unfortunately Milton is good for about 170-200IP every year.

Which doesn't bode well for the Reds chances for improving

What Krono said. I'm not banking on a healthy start to the season for Harang.
    That's not a real injury.

He's dealt with it before, and I'm not of the belief that it's a big deal.

Besides.......You're just being crotchety again.:
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

talk about spring training numbers, did anyone see Griffey's, uh, new poundage at the WBC? He looks like he's gained 20lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotater Cuff
    talk about spring training numbers, did anyone see Griffey's, uh, new poundage at the WBC? He looks like he's gained 20lbs.
    No kidding...with him wearing 3, and the extra 20-25 pounds, I actually had to ask when I saw some highlights who it was using the Griffey stance.

Turning any of those numbers into a .260 BA or whatever your batting KPI of choice is can happen in the blink of an eye given the # of AB's the players have had and the purpose of spring training.

Now if I am actually watching the players bat (which I am not at the moment) and they are exhibitting some very major flaws in their approach or mechanics , lingering effects of injuries, etc, then I might have cause to be a little concerned. But even then, it is very very early. As other have said, I am more worried about the pitching, and I still would be even if our pitchers were WHIPPING below 1 with a sub-2 ERA at this point.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?