Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow UC got screwed

Re: Wow UC got screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Word is the NCAA, who now owns the NIT, strong armed the teams to accept. Maryland, UC and Stanford were going to decline but didn't.
    and they now have the leverage to do it.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

makes me absolutely sick

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Word is the NCAA, who now owns the NIT, strong armed the teams to accept. Maryland, UC and Stanford were going to decline but didn't.
    Word from who? Any sources? Or is it just rumor?

And, if the NCAA now owns the NIT, how smart of a move would it be to bite the hand that feeds you, so to speak. If you want consideration for the big dance in future years, then why would you honk them off by blowing off the NIT this year?

UC did the right thing by accepting the NIT, both in terms of their future relationship with the NCAA and for their seniors that have played hard and worked hard...they deserve the opportunity to play a few more games and finish strong.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

UC had a compelling case, but Kennedy hit the nail on the head. It was a political thing from the mid-major guys on the NCAA committee. They won't take more than 1/2 of a conference. So they weren't going to take 9 teams from the Big East. Doesn't matter what UC's numbers are.

When Seton Hall came up as a #10 seed, I said "uh-oh, that's UC's slot".

Letting more of the mid-majors in is a thing I philosophically agree with, but it's a painful belief when the team you root for gets shafted because of it. It's kinda like the baseball wild card, if you can't win your conference/division, you shouldn't be in.

Pay attention to the open sky

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

UC definitely got the screw. RPI... enough said. Air Force? Please.

The article that R4Life posted is interesting. I never understood the comment that people have to "lobby for a spot". Sounds like the kind of stuff that got the IOC in trouble when the Winter Games were held in Salt Lake!

I think teams who decide not to accept an NIT bid (or a football team who thinks a certain bowl game is not good enough for them) should not be allowed to participate in the post-season the next year. Teams should not be allowed to deny a bid w/out penalty. I do not like it. It goes against what sports should be about. Spirit, competition and all those other things. Not... "we are taking our ball and going home" -or- "screw you guys, I am going home."
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

I'll echo what others have said in that there are a number of reasons to decline bids.
    GW got screwed out of the NCAA a few years ago when Jarvis was the head coach and declined a bid to the NIT citing that with the exams the next week it would be difficult to reschedule with just one or two days notice.(My guess is that they would have found a way had they been invited to the NCAA.)

In the case of UC or Indiana if IU hadn't made the NCAA, it makes sense to get the season over with. The University can go ahead and make connections for the next head coach, whereas the coach in question can begin his new job search. Playing in the NIT would hinder both of these scenarios.
    When people say that I dont know what Im talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red
    I'll echo what others have said in that there are a number of reasons to decline bids.
    GW got screwed out of the NCAA a few years ago when Jarvis was the head coach and declined a bid to the NIT citing that with the exams the next week it would be difficult to reschedule with just one or two days notice.(My guess is that they would have found a way had they been invited to the NCAA.)

In the case of UC or Indiana if IU hadn't made the NCAA, it makes sense to get the season over with. The University can go ahead and make connections for the next head coach, whereas the coach in question can begin his new job search. Playing in the NIT would hinder both of these scenarios.
    Then why doesn't Indiana just go ahead and decline the NCAA bid for the same reasons?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Of all the teams that could claim they got screwed,UC has the biggest case. I thought they were a lock. It has to go back to the NCAA never really liking Huggins and the way he did business at UC. Air Force in the tourney is crazy. There are at least 20 other teams that should be there before them. Utah State and George Mason are not far behind them either. This was one of the poorest jobs I have ever seen by the tournament committee.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Then why doesn't Indiana just go ahead and decline the NCAA bid for the same reasons?
    I'm not positive, and I don't have time to look it up, but I'm pretty sure there's a rule that says a team cannot reject a bid to the NCAA tourney. I believe it dates back to when the NCAA tourney first came into existence. The NIT tourney was still the premier postseason tourney so the organizers of the NCAA made that rule to make sure teams would not reject them and go to the NIT. I think that rule is still in effect but again, I'm not 100% positive, and I have a final in 2 hours that I have to go study for.

Since when doesn't the NCAA like Huggins?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Did anyone see the interview with Syracuse Coach Boeheim?

He was adamant that UC was snubbed and gave several reasons why they were a shoo-in, including their schedule and wins over RPI-ranked teams.

He also said there's absolutely no reason Andy Kennedy should not get the coaching job as he feels he's more than proven himself. But we all know that isn't going to happen, whether he deserves it or not. The other coaches aren't stupid; they know the situation at UC.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

University of Cincinnati

Why Andy or any other coach would want to even accept or come to a University that handles its sports operations like Cincinnati does is beyond me. With the mess that Zimpher has made, UC wont be making an NCAA Tournament for at least 3 years. We have no incoming recruits, 4 seniors are leaving, and it seems half the team are a bunch of walk ons.
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    Of all the teams that could claim they got screwed,UC has the biggest case. I thought they were a lock. It has to go back to the NCAA never really liking Huggins and the way he did business at UC. Air Force in the tourney is crazy. There are at least 20 other teams that should be there before them. Utah State and George Mason are not far behind them either. This was one of the poorest jobs I have ever seen by the tournament committee.
    If that's the case why didn't they take UC now that they got rid of Huggins? It would stand to reason that if the NCAA didn't like Huggins and UC got rid of him, they would want to reward UC and not punish them.

I particularly enjoyed Littlepage's reasoning why they took Air Force, "They are a tough team to beat." Yeah, when you don't play anyone, you're pretty tough to beat.

I suppose this is a bit of a problem with being in a 16 team league. I've heard all week about how the committee doesn't take conferences into account when they select the field but they also said that RPI is a big facctor as well. Kind of tough to justify taking 9 teams from one conference no matter how big it is.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

It doesn't sound like UC got even close. This is from Andy Katz's column at ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaato...ory?id=2366073

One of the main reasons Air Force got in the field was that the Falcons were the No. 2 team in the Mountain West, ranked as the No. 8 conference.

One of the last teams not to make the field was another mid-major: Western Kentucky. The committee looked strongly at the Hilltoppers, regular-season champs of the Sun Belt. Western Kentucky, which lost to South Alabama in the conference title game, had an RPI of 55, a strength of schedule of 116, a 1-2 record against the top 50, a non-conference SOS (strength of schedule) of 29, and a 7-4 road record. Meanwhile, the NIT placed Western Kentucky as a 6-seed in the South region.

Cincinnati was off the board by late in the week. The Bearcats didn't get out of the first round of the Big East tournament after Syracuse's Gerry McNamara beat them with a 3-pointer with a half second left.

The Bearcats' omission may have been the most alarming. The reaction from interim head coach Andy Kennedy came swiftly Sunday night.

"I'm in shock," he told ESPN.com. "We got screwed big time. We had a strength of schedule of five, an RPI of 40 and we were 8-8 in the Big East. So, do you mean to tell me that if Gerry McNamara doesn't hit that 3-pointer that we're in?"

Kennedy said the Bearcats' players were "devastated." He said he told them in practice the last few days that "Everything would be good."

"If I were a head coach in the Big East, this should be considered a somber day," Kennedy said. "The selection committee wouldn't allow nine teams from one league. Seton Hall [which did get in] beat us and maybe that's how they justify it. I'm in a state of disbelief."

The committee is on record as saying it doesn't count teams from one conference.

"This is a crazy ending to what has been an unbelievable year," Kennedy said of a season that started with head coach Bob Huggins being ousted. "This is not the ending that was appropriate."

Pay attention to the open sky

The most frustrating part of this whole mess to me was Littlepage's comments while he was explaining his case for Air Force. He brought up the fact that they played a good Washington team close.

Are you freaking kidding me?!? You are so desperate to find positive things about Air Force that you bring up an 11 point loss in the third game of the year to Washington! If losses are a good thing maybe he should consider our 2 point loss to Villanova, or possibly our loss to Cuse where Mcnamara hit a prayer. This is the biggest bunch of political BS I've ever witnessed. Ever since the selection show I've been in a state of rage/depression over this. What's even more frustrating is that the team and the fans can't do a thing about this obvious misjustice.

There's only one thing that will make this year's tournament and next year's season bearable to me. Thank goodness for beer.

Turn Off Ads?