Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wow UC got screwed

Re: Wow UC got screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    I'm not positive, and I don't have time to look it up, but I'm pretty sure there's a rule that says a team cannot reject a bid to the NCAA tourney. I believe it dates back to when the NCAA tourney first came into existence. The NIT tourney was still the premier postseason tourney so the organizers of the NCAA made that rule to make sure teams would not reject them and go to the NIT. I think that rule is still in effect but again, I'm not 100% positive, and I have a final in 2 hours that I have to go study for.
    Marquette back in the late 60's or early 70's declined a bid. Al McGuire was the coach and didn't like where they had placed Marquette in the tournament. He blamed it on Adolph Rupp saying he influenced the NCAA on where they placed his Marquette team. That's been a long time ago so they may have that rule in place now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    If that's the case why didn't they take UC now that they got rid of Huggins? It would stand to reason that if the NCAA didn't like Huggins and UC got rid of him, they would want to reward UC and not punish them.

I particularly enjoyed Littlepage's reasoning why they took Air Force, "They are a tough team to beat." Yeah, when you don't play anyone, you're pretty tough to beat.

I suppose this is a bit of a problem with being in a 16 team league. I've heard all week about how the committee doesn't take conferences into account when they select the field but they also said that RPI is a big facctor as well. Kind of tough to justify taking 9 teams from one conference no matter how big it is.
    The NCAA has never made since in what they do. I think it was just a backhanded way to punish UC for bringing in what they considered marginal students.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    The NCAA has never made since in what they do. I think it was just a backhanded way to punish UC for bringing in what they considered marginal students.
    Yeah, following that logic, they would have a tough time filling out a 64 team field every year.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    I'm one Xavier fan who agrees with you. UC is much better than Air Force or Alabama either one. Granted, I still think it's pretty funny. <ducking>

Enjoy it now. I don't see X beating Gonzaga (realistically).

UC didn't get in because they didn't want 9 teams from the Big East getting in, regardless if they say it had nothing to do with it. It's a joke....it's supposed to be the best 65 (64 after the goofy play-in game)...UC is CLEARLY one of the best 64 teams in the country.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 03-13-2006 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw

UC didn't get in because they didn't want 9 teams from the Big East getting in, regardless if they say it had nothing to do with it. It's a joke....it's supposed to be the best 65 (64 after the goofy play-in game)...UC is CLEARLY one of the best 64 teams in the country.
    Agreed, on both counts. I hope X can win but it will be a major upset if they do. UC deserves to be in the field. I'll be pulling for them in the NIT. I actually cheer for UC when they are playing everyone else--it's just fun to pick on Bearcat fans sometimes.

I've watched Gonzaga play about 10 times this year, they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated. If they can find a way to stop Morrison (who can't play defense BTW) X has a shot to win that game.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw

The NCAA is really not sending a message that they want the best 65 teams in the tourney, or else they would not give the automatic bid to the winners of conference tournaments over the regular season winners.

Obviously, without that setup, the conference tournaments would not get much interest and would likely be eliminated by the large conferences (a side benefit if you ask me), but it certainly will upset the apple cart of having the best teams in the tourney, some years more than others. But other than reducing the bank accounts of all those who profit off the conference tourneys, if the NCAA was really interested in putting together a fair championship, they either give everyone a second chance (like a high school state tourney where everyone goes) or they only give automatic bids to regular season conference winners and then go to the "at-large" bids. I think the second option is the most fair as it recognizes a team's whole resume rather than "what have you done for me lately" that currently prevails.

While America loves the upset, it really sucks for a team that has put together a good season to lose out on a chance to compete because some mediocre, or even bad, team gets hot for one weekend out of the season and steals an at-large bid. But then, I guess you could argue that the conference championships are the same as inviting everyone, since theoretically all teams get a second chance that way.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

From what I've heard, a conference can give the automatic bid to either their regular season champ or their tournament champ. It's their choice, not the NCAA's. Obviously the tournament is such a moneymaker that the winer will get the bid. Still, I'd like to see regular season champions get major consideration and if a minor conference gets two bids, well that's the way it goes.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I've been a big proponent of sending the regular season champ for a long time, I'd rather reward an entire season of excellence than being hot for 3 days. Problem is with conferences growing in size many conferences now can't play a full round robin schedule. In that case sending a team based on won/loss record isn't totally fair either since different teams are playing different schedules. At that point a conference tournament becomes a necessary evil, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    I'm not positive, and I don't have time to look it up, but I'm pretty sure there's a rule that says a team cannot reject a bid to the NCAA tourney. I believe it dates back to when the NCAA tourney first came into existence. The NIT tourney was still the premier postseason tourney so the organizers of the NCAA made that rule to make sure teams would not reject them and go to the NIT. I think that rule is still in effect but again, I'm not 100% positive, and I have a final in 2 hours that I have to go study for.
    Loyola Marymount debated on whether or not they should accept the bid after Hank Geathers died, though they did the right thing and went to the tournament. You may still technically be able to decline a bid, though no one in their right mind is going to.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    I've watched Gonzaga play about 10 times this year, they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated. If they can find a way to stop Morrison (who can't play defense BTW) X has a shot to win that game.
    One small problem...no one can stop Morrison. He's a freak.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    One small problem...no one can stop Morrison. He's a freak.
    Agreed, and that is why you don't stop Morrison.

I look for a team like Indiana to expose this, but the key is to shut down the other four who play for Gonzaga and let Morrison score his points. Morrison might score 35 points, but if they hold Gonzaga to just 55-60 points, Indiana or Xavier both can come away with a win.

This worked last year for Kentucky against Andrew Bogut, as well about 4-5 years ago against Wally Sczerbiak.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I suppose this is a bit of a problem with being in a 16 team league. I've heard all week about how the committee doesn't take conferences into account when they select the field but they also said that RPI is a big facctor as well. Kind of tough to justify taking 9 teams from one conference no matter how big it is.
    I know they have to "spread it around", just like we do here in Redszone. But what the heck is wrong with taking the best teams based on predetermined parameters; e.g., performance, schedule, etc.? Isn't that what the NCAA is supposed to be all about?
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 03-13-2006 at 08:04 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    I thought that debate was won last year.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 03-13-2006 at 08:04 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Anybody hear the Kennedy radio show? Man, he blasted people tonight. He mentioned the theory that I posted from the Louisville guys and said "but you didn't hear that from me". Somebody called and asked why AD Thomas hasn't said a word today about UC getting the shaft and he said he is so pissed that he was glad the show was almost over because there are some "stories I could tell". He also said something like "while I'm a coach in the Big East for another week".

He knows he isn't getting the job and he almost lost it tonight. I hope when he's let go that he blasts Zimpher and Thomas in the media, it's the only way we are going to get rid of these clowns.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Turn Off Ads?