Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK v. UAB 1st Rd.

UK v. UAB 1st Rd.

Can we beat UAB this time around??? I don't know much about their team this year...

UCONN in round 2 for whichever team emerges victorious...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UK v. UAB 1st Rd.

We CAN beat them, but I do not expect to beat them. They are still uber-athletic (like the '04 team) and can very easily run UK out of the gym (again). Tubby will have to dictate pace and control the glass to even play within 10 points of UAB. The way the team is jacking threes and avoiding successful strategies, I am not optomistic.

The prospect of facing UCONN is Round # 2 is enough of a deflator to have the Cats going into the tourney uninspired. How ironic that they will be playing for their lives in the same city that brought us the Laettner (spitting sound) shot???
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

I expect UAB to beat Kentucky again. Unless Kentucky really slows the pace of the game athletically UAB is better.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

My bracket says one and done.

Mike Anderson is a protege of Nolan Richardson, and he practices the "40 minutes of hell" that Richardson played at Arkansas. They will play Kentucky physical, and that is what has always been a weakness for the Cats.

It all depends on which Kentucky team shows up, but UK got the draw I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

How do you feel about the draw? It's a sucky draw, but I don't think we really have any ground to stand on as far as complaining...
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

An 8 seed seems about right for Kentucky this year. That pretty much where I expected the committee would put them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    An 8 seed seems about right for Kentucky this year. That pretty much where I expected the committee would put them.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    How do you feel about the draw? It's a sucky draw, but I don't think we really have any ground to stand on as far as complaining...
    I was expecting a 7 or 8. Especially when the last team we beat in the SEC tournament got a 10 seed. I think we should be lucky to be in the tournament, we could be UC right now.

On the other hand, Gonzaga should have been a higher seed, no way does Tennessee deserve a no 2 seed.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I was expecting a 7 or 8. Especially when the last team we beat in the SEC tournament got a 10 seed. I think we should be lucky to be in the tournament, we could be UC right now.

On the other hand, Gonzaga should have been a higher seed, no way does Tennessee deserve a no 2 seed.
    Tennessee is about the weakest no 2 seed I have ever seen in the tournament.

Not nearly as weak as Memphis being a no 1.

If Memphis got a no 1, Gonzaga should have been higher. Conference USA is not the same as when Louisville and UC were there, its a weak conference with two good teams.

I see Arkansas giving Memphis a run for their money and possibly being knocked off by Pitt or Kansas.

got alil captain in u?

UAB wins then gets beat by 10 to UCONN

I figured UK was a 7. And then they might have been matched up in Dayton with a potential 2nd rounder against Ohio State.

OSU gets Davidson again. It would be an interesting regional final if Ohio State gets that far to face Villanova.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

UK got the seed they deserved. Eight and nine seeds are for teams that had uneven seasons or punishment for having poor schedules(GW). UAB will be a very tough game for the Cats. UAB plays a style that will cause them a lot of problems. I think the Cats will win but it will be a very close game. And or all their trouble of winning they get UConn, an easy one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

They get the highest SEC seed over both the regular (LSU) and tourney champs (Florida)

Thanks to Sandy for pointing that out for me
    Go Gators!

I agree that the Cats deserved a # 8 seed, but it is just a little too funny that they chose UAB to be their # 9 opponent. The other # 9 seeds UK could have faced were Wisconsin, Bucknell or UNC Wilmington. The latter two are not in the same class as UAB, and--if I were Tubby--I would even rather played the more physical Wisconsin club than I would UAB. With UCONN lurking (and very well rested thanks to Syracuse), it doesn't really matter at this point. Philadelphia, too, was an interesting choice of UK's game location for the committee. Not only was UK vs. Duke ('92) played there, but so was another awful UK tourney exit game vs. Southern Cal ('01).

As always, the committee does have it's sense of humor. Why else whould they put (up and coming) Coach John Pelphrey's South Alabama club in the first round cross-hairs of his former mentor, Billy Donovan and the Gators? The only way that matchup is possible is if they give Florida the # 3 seed. Although they win the SEC tourney impressively, the committee gives the # 2 seed to Tennessee instead?

Speaking of Tennessee...don't think for a minute that they are going to coast over Winthrop. That team is WAY underrated as a # 15 seed and Tennessee looked awful vs. South Carolina on Friday. Tennessee may not even advance to the second round.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 03-14-2006 at 10:45 AM.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Turn Off Ads?