Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK v. UAB 1st Rd.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: UK v. UAB 1st Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    As always, the comittee does have it's sense of humor. Why else whould they put (up and coming) Coach John Pelphrey's South Alabama club in the first round cross-hairs of his former mentor, Billy Donovan and the Gators? The only way that matchup is possible is if they give Florida the # 3 seed. Although they win the SEC tourney impressively, the committee gives the # 2 seed to Tennessee instead?
    I think RPI factored heavily into Tennessee.

There was a rumor going around the SEC tournament(both SI and the Mobile Register reported this) the Tubby to Charlotte rumors again, with an even more interesting twist. Apparently UK would be expected to go after Billy Donovan, with John Pelphrey replacing Donovan at Florida.

That was the first thing that went through my mind when they announced Florida and South Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I think RPI factored heavily into Tennessee.

There was a rumor going around the SEC tournament(both SI and the Mobile Register reported this) the Tubby to Charlotte rumors again, with an even more interesting twist. Apparently UK would be expected to go after Billy Donovan, with John Pelphrey replacing Donovan at Florida.

That was the first thing that went through my mind when they announced Florida and South Alabama.
    Wow, Florida gets the better end of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by kyred14
    Wow, Florida gets the better end of that one.
    I agree, Pelphrey could be this years Bruce Pearl. I liken him to Travis Ford though with his UK connections. He might not have the success of Pearl, but he will be a good coach wherever he ends up.

I think Donovan would be an upgrade over Tubby all the way around. The only turn off I have with Donovan is the players he recruits, such as Matt Walsh and Joakim Noah. However, he does get the most out of the kids he brings in.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Pelphrey has more of a UK connection then Donnavan, I see him being a candidate above Billy.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I agree, Pelphrey could be this years Bruce Pearl. I liken him to Travis Ford though with his UK connections. He might not have the success of Pearl, but he will be a good coach wherever he ends up.

I think Donovan would be an upgrade over Tubby all the way around. The only turn off I have with Donovan is the players he recruits, such as Matt Walsh and Joakim Noah. However, he does get the most out of the kids he brings in.
    I don't know about that, he hasn't seen the second weekend of the tournament since 2000. I'd much rather have Tubby. The thought of Tubby leaving and Billy D coaching UK doesn't toot my horn much.

This year's first-round NCAA Tournament loss will mark the second time that has happened at UK since the 1982 team was embarassed by Middle Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    This year's first-round NCAA Tournament loss will mark the second time that has happened at UK since the 1982 team was embarassed by Middle Tennessee.
    I hate to say it being a UK fan but I can think of at least two other times they have lost in the first round. In 1981 they lost to UAB and in 1987 they lost to Ohio State.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Its like you are already writing them off.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    I hate to say it being a UK fan but I can think of at least two other times they have lost in the first round. In 1981 they lost to UAB and in 1987 they lost to Ohio State.
    Yep, I didn't forget the 1981 loss. Just cut off at 1982 to make this year look like more of a rarity. Boy, those Bowie-Turpin teams of the early 80s were the ultimate underachievers. They finally made a Final Four by playing their regional on their home court in 1984, then proceeded to go 3 for 33 shooting against Gtown in the second half of their game.

WV, yeah I guess I have written them off. Maybe they will surprise me, but in all honesty, I don't care because it's only one extra game anyway. UConn will end their season if UAB doesn't, so why not get it over with Friday and spare me two hours on Sunday?

La Dolce Vita

Schizophrenic as this team is, maybe a new personality (aka the demon-slayer) will emerge Fri. night. One can hope.

Naaaaaahh. It will probably be the ego-centered child..."me me me-ing all the way home."
    teach tolerance.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Boy, those Bowie-Turpin teams of the early 80s were the ultimate underachievers.
    Well, if you want to get technical, there was really only one Bowie-Turpin team, in the sense of both of them playing meaningful minutes...
    Not all who wander are lost

Yep, I didn't forget the 1981 loss. Just cut off at 1982 to make this year look like more of a rarity. Boy, those Bowie-Turpin teams of the early 80s were the ultimate underachievers. They finally made a Final Four by playing their regional on their home court in 1984, then proceeded to go 3 for 33 shooting against Gtown in the second half of their game.
    Macro: If I give you $ 20, will you promise to never speak of that game on this board again?

I remember it like yesterday...that is, if yesterday somebody gave me a heart-punch or a kick in the stones. 11th grade year--watched the game in my den with my best friend. We didn't say ONE word to each other during the entire second half. UK bricked the first 21(?) shots of the second half. I think Jim Master finally hit a 18 foot jumper, but it was long over before that. The headline in the Lexington Herald Leader the next day simply read: 9.9% (the FG percentage UK shot for the second half)

When the final buzzer sounded, my friend calmly stood up and said, "Goodbye..." and walked out the door. That friend died four years later of Cystic Fibrosis and--until the day he passed--we never once spoke to each other about the Georgetown game.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Macro: If I give you $ 20, will you promise to never speak of that game on this board again?

I remember it like yesterday...that is, if yesterday somebody gave me a heart-punch or a kick in the stones. 11th grade year--watched the game in my den with my best friend. We didn't say ONE word to each other during the entire second half. UK bricked the first 21(?) shots of the second half. I think Jim Master finally hit a 18 foot jumper, but it was long over before that. The headline in the Lexington Herald Leader the next day simply read: 9.9% (the FG percentage UK shot for the second half)

When the final buzzer sounded, my friend calmly stood up and said, "Goodbye..." and walked out the door. That friend died four years later of Cystic Fibrosis and--until the day he passed--we never once spoke to each other about the Georgetown game.
    Well, Blimpie, I'm about to blow the $20, but I'm going to reply to your post.

After the 1984 Final Four debacle, I heard speculation that perhaps UK tanked that game on purpose, for gamblers. Did you ever hear that? Of course, that would be an easy rumor to get started, but I always wondered. I mean, I have never seen any team above the middle school level play that badly. It was just too unbelievable to believe.

I am sorry to hear the story about your friend. I'm sure your reasons for not wanting to talk about that day go deeper than the outcome of the game.

Who ever lands Mike Anderson (if he leaves UAB) is getting a helluva coach. I hope that UC makes a run at him, the defensive physical brand of basketball that Anderson teaches is perfect for the Big East.

I'm not sure why UK fans are so down on this game, granted UK hasn't had a great year, but you still have a pretty good chance to beat UAB.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

I remember that game from a different angle. Dayton was the darling "Cinderella" story that year, and played Georgetown in the Regional Finals. No one gave Dayton a shot, and they played well enough, but Georgetown was an extremely physical and borderline dirty team in those days, and they sure were not going to let Dayton past.

I can remember talking to someone about it the other day who was connected to the Flyer program in the early '80's. The Flyers thought they could take Kentucky if they gotten that far. But Georgetown physically outmanned the Flyers.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?