Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye there, children.

Goodbye there, children.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060313/en_tv_eo/18557

South Park's Chef may have dished out his final chocolate salty ball.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Hayes, who has voiced the highly sexed cafeteria employee on the irreverent series since 1997, issued a statement Monday indicating that he has requested to be released from his contract due to what he called the show's "inappropriate ridicule of religious communities."

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the soul legend said. "Religious beliefs are sacred to people and at all times should be respected and honored. As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

Though Hayes, a devout Scientologist, made no reference to specific episodes that he felt crossed the line, series creator Matt Stone had little doubt that Hayes' decision was triggered by the November 2005 episode "Trapped in the Closet," which satirized the religion's beliefs and practices and featured "cameos" by animated versions of
    Tom Cruise and
    John Travolta.

"This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology," Stone told the Associated Press. "He has no problem--and he's cashed plenty of checks--with our show making fun of Christians."

Hayes' voice was not featured in the episode, as he was reportedly unavailable due to poor health. However, in a January 2006 interview with The A.V. Club, he explained that he had tried to correct Stone and Trey Parker's misconceptions about his religion of choice.

"Guys, you have it all wrong," Hayes said he told Stone and Parker. "We're not like that. I know that's your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that s--t, you know? But I understand what they're doing. I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses, and understand what we do."

Past episodes of South Park have skewered Catholics, Jews and Mormons, among others. However, according to Stone, he and Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology.

"He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin," Stone told the Associated Press.

Hayes, an Oscar winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, got his start on South Park after heckling his agent for voiceover work in the interest of trying something different.

What was originally conceived of as a one-time appearance proved so popular that Jerome "Chef" McElroy became a reoccurring character, who has served hot lunch with a side of advice to Kenny, Kyle, Stan and Cartman for the past nine seasons.

Season 10 debuts Mar. 22, and Comedy Central has reupped the series through 2008.

In January 2006, Hayes told the New York Daily News that he loved the "humor in it, the audacity of Matt and Trey."

"Nobody is exempt from their humor," he said. "They're equal-opportunity offenders. Don't be offended by it. If you take it too seriously, you have problems."

It seems the silky-voiced crooner may have neglected to take his own advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Goodbye there, children.

He wants a different standard for religions other than his own
    Don't they all.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I guarantee you Isaac just made things worse for Scientology. Trey & Matt had the Scientology bashing out of their systems, but now they'll go out of their way to trash Scientology at every opportunity.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Scientology isn't a religion. Therefore, when I laugh at it and point out its utter ridiculousness, it isn't making a comment of the type this board frowns upon.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 03-14-2006 at 01:48 AM.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Scientology isn't a religion.
    Dude, you are so sued.

Seriously not looking for a fight or religious arugument or anything like that, I couldn't care less, but why isn't it a religion? I honestly know nothing about it, but have always sort assumed it was. I guess you know what they say happens when you ass-u-me something.

Edit: I've decided to change "care less" to "couldn't care less." After the cliches or misuse of words thread from last week, things like this have been driving me crazy.
    Last edited by Gainesville Red; 03-14-2006 at 03:11 AM.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red
    Seriously not looking for a fight or religious arugument or anything like that, I could care less, but why isn't it a religion? I honestly know nothing about it, but have always sort assumed it was. I guess you know what they say happens when you ass-u-me something.
    Not many religions engage in open espionage against the US Govt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses, and understand what we do.
    Why take a class when you can get all the high-level "truths" online for free?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Google "Xenu Scientology" and enjoy!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Folks, let's keep this onto the topic of Hayes and South Park, not religion.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I bumped up the old thread in the Peanut Gallery just in case.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    But isn't this about Hayes and South Park and religion?
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    When I started the thread, I was hoping it would be about Hayes and South Park. Of course, its kinda hard to keep religion out of the picture on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Not really. It isn't about the merits of any religion. It isn't about Scientology even.

It's about Isaac Hayes cashing checks for 10 years while doing a show that tried to equally offend everyone. Every person. every religion. every political party, and Mel Gibson. Hayes was ok with all of that. He seemed ok with a little black kid on the show named "Token."

Until they targeted his beliefs.

He's a hypocrite.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I wonder if they will just write him out of the show or if they will get a new voice for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I wonder if they will just write him out of the show or if they will get a new voice for him.
    Knowing Matt and Trey, I wouldnt be suprised if they killed him off.

Turn Off Ads?