Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Krivsky forever a scout (3/13)

Krivsky forever a scout (3/13)

Monday, March 13, 2006

Krivsky forever a scout
    GM is always on the lookout for best talent
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

CLEARWATER, Fla. - Wayne Krivsky might be a general manager now, but he continues to watch the game like a scout.

Krivsky carries a stop watch and prefers to sit in seats a little higher up to get a better view of the field than what's available from where a GM typically sits.

He times runners' speed to first, as well as catchers' and pitchers' release times. He plans on filing reports once the season begins. He's following the example of his mentor, Minnesota GM Terry Ryan.

"After night games in the Metrodome, he'd go to his office and type in his report," Krivsky said. "That's a high standard. Tell me one other GM who does that."

One of the big reasons Krivsky got the job was his ability to evaluate players. He figures, why get away from it?

The one concession he'll make: He plans to sit in the GM box, not the scout seats, for games at Great American Ball Park.

Krivsky said he won't travel with the club very often during the regular season.

"From April to September, I'll be evaluating the minor leagues," he said.

NEW YARD: Reds CEO Bob Castellini made the trip over to Bright House Field, the spring home of the Phillies and the gem of the ballparks in Florida.

"I've spent two hours touring it," Castellini said. "I'm very impressed."

Bright House seats 7,500 with another 1,000 lawn seats in the outfield. It cost $25 million to build. This is the Phillies' third year playing here.

The Reds are hoping to get a similar facility built in Sarasota.

RUHLE OUT: Pitching coach Vern Ruhle is spending a week at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston being evaluated for the undisclosed cancer he is suffering from.

Ruhle will be out until Thursday.

Bullpen coach Tom Hume is serving as pitching coach in Ruhle's absence. Louisville pitching coach Lee Tunnel is filling in for Hume in the bullpen.

EASY EDDIE DOES IT: Edwin Encarnacion continues to light up spring training pitching.

Encarnacion, who came into Sunday's game with a 1.292 slugging percentage, singled in his first at-bat and doubled in his second. He ended up 2-for-3. He came into the day leading spring training in RBI (12) and slugging. He was second in homers (5).

"He played Winter Ball, so he's going to be ahead of most hitters," Narron said. "That was smart on his part. But he can be a very, very good big-league hitter."

NO ROOM AT THE 'PEN: The signings of Rick White and Chris Hammond has made spots scarce for young relievers. White, Hammond, David Weathers and Kent Mercker are all but guaranteed spots.

That means Todd Coffey, Jason Standridge, Matt Belisle, Ryan Wagner, Mike Burns, Allan Simpson and Brian Shackelford are competing for two or three spots.

"Some of the guys who pitched well for us last year aren't going to make the ballclub," Narron said.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...603130356/1071
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Krivsky forever a scout (3/13)

The signings of Rick White and Chris Hammond has made spots scarce for young relievers. White, Hammond, David Weathers and Kent Mercker are all but guaranteed spots.

This makes absolutely no sense. Throwing out retreads instead of giving some younger arms a chance. Since when is white all but guaranteed a spot.

Since he was signed to a major league contract. Although this one is not an O'Brien legacy but a Kullman legacy.
    Last edited by Nugget; 03-13-2006 at 11:57 PM.

I have no problem with Hammond, Weathers and Mercker.. but Rick White?

How about letting him compete with the rest of the guys.

IMO Belisle, Shackelford, Coffey, and Wagner should all be guaranteed spots based on their past contributions in which the all performed better or equal to Rick White.

I don't know that White is lock despite the fact that he has a ML contract - while the Reds would be on the hook for his salary, they're really only on the hook for about $275,000 assuming he catches on elsewhere. The other team would pay him the ML Minimum which is $325,000 this year - and that's pro-rated depending on where in the season he's released, I believe.

That's assuming that someone picks him up and he gets on the major league roster. Look at what happened with D'Lo, etc. I think that unless RCast makes the call and White really does stink in ST the REDS will go north with Rick White on the roster. Unless the first month is not a failure I'm guessing he won't be cut.

Turn Off Ads?