Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds pitching a lingering worry (Doh!)

Reds pitching a lingering worry (Doh!)

Reds pitching a lingering worry
    Staff wasn't great to begin with; now three are aching
    By Hal McCoy / Dayton Daily News

BRADENTON, FLA . | Even before spring training began, the Cincinnati Reds starting staff was thinner than a derelict's wallet, thinner than the broth in a soup kitchen.

When camp began, Paul Wilson and his surgically fixed shoulder was a question mark and he remains a question mark.

Everybody else, though, was as fit as a Stradivarius — until the last few days.

First, Eric Milton missed a start with a sore right calf. He missed a turn, then tried to come back for his first start early this week and tweaked the calf.

Then Aaron Harang, easily the team's best starter last season, missed his turn Thursday against the Pittsburgh Pirates with shoulder inflammation.

That leaves a healthy rotation of Brandon Claussen, newcomer Dave Williams, Eenie, Meenie, Miney or perhaps Mo.

Is there panic forefront? Is anybody reaching for that button with the 'P' on it, as in panic or, maybe, pitching?

Manager Jerry Narron is keeping a cement upper lip.

"Really, for me, it gives other guys an opportunity to pitch who wouldn't normally get those innings," said Narron. "It gives us a chance to see more guys."

That's why names like Phil Dumatrait and Tommy Phelps have started recent games. Phelps, 32 and a professional for 13 years with only 75 major-league appearances, took advantage Thursday, holding the Pirates to no runs and two hits over three innings of a 2-1 Reds victory.

Narron said if the pitching disruptions came later, the concern would deepen.

"Right now, there is not as much concern as if there would be if it happened after March 15," he said. "If Milton or Harang miss their next starts, then that would be a concern."

Wilson is on a five-day program as if he were pitching regularly in the rotation. He is scheduled to throw 80 or more pitches in the bullpen today to "See if we can strengthen my arm and then prepare my body between sessions."

Said trainer Mark Mann, "We're going to give him a couple of more side sessions, then have him pitch a simulated game. He is pain-free and building arm strength."

His return? No timetable.

Milton is expected to pitch a simulated game Sunday, "So that he doesn't have to run to field bunts or cover first base," said Narron.

Mann said Milton's arm-strength is perfect, that he can pitch, but running puts him in jeopardy. He threw on the side Thursday morning with no restrictions and no pain.

"We have him on a running and agility program and that will determine when he pitches a simulated game on a back field, maybe Sunday," said Mann. "We're just not going to let him face major-league hitters until the calf is completely healthy, when he doesn't feel anything in it."

Harang believes his shoulder pain came from tinkering with his mechanics, putting unfamiliar pressure on it.

"I did the same thing when I pitched in Double-A (Midland, 2001)," said Harang. "We tinkered with my mechanics and my body was telling me, 'Don't mess with what you're doing.'"

After working on mechanics last week, Harang said he felt stiffness and thought it was the normal stiffness after a pitcher throws a lot. But when it didn't loosen up and lingered he reported to Mann.

"We have to wait and see on Harang and if misses another start it would be a concern," said Narron.

In the meantime, the Reds rotation over the next few days is listed as: Dumatrait today, Claussen Saturday, Justin Germano Sunday, To Be Announced Monday and To Be Announced Tuesday.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport.../0310reds.html
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds pitching a lingering worry (Doh!)

A lingering worry?
    A LINGERING WORRY?!

Hal, the rotation was dumpers to begin with; there is nothing to worry about. Dread is the appropriate term.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

That leaves a healthy rotation of Brandon Claussen, newcomer Dave Williams, Eenie, Meenie, Miney or perhaps Mo.
    I would go with Mo. He's a vet, been around, a proven leader. Knows how to play the game. A gamer.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I didn't know Wily Mo could pitch!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    I would go with Mo. He's a vet, been around, a proven leader. Knows how to play the game. A gamer.
    Yeah but Miney wants the ball and loves to compete.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Mo Sanford?

ESPN Rumor Central is saying that they are looking to shed some starters and said Wells, Arroyo and Clement are being shopped. What would Boston be looking for in a trade? What are their needs?

Sorry for the 7 year old bump.....but I'm bored...and started looking through some of the related threads and found this one. prophetic that the last post mentioned arroyo being available 6 days before the trade. I didnt know that off the top of my head, I looked it up. Anyway, how much better does it feel going into a season with pitching like the Reds have vs. what they had back in 06...WOW...

Dude, do you go by the name Kik other places?

nope....same name on every board im on....i just happened to stumble on that thread and found it interesting

Turn Off Ads?