Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This... from Astro's Mailbag

This... from Astro's Mailbag

Why would Preston Wilson start over Willy Taveras? He's a strikeout waiting to happen. -- Kel V., Waxahachie, Texas

So is half the lineup. The reality of the modern-day slugger is, with power numbers come power strikeouts. Players have little interest in being singles and doubles hitters, and if they're swinging for the fences every time they bat, they're going to have their share of whiffs.

I marvel at Pete Rose's numbers -- he averaged a measly 52 strikeouts a year and logged more than 700 plate appearances. These days, it's perfectly normal for a hitter to strike out at least 100 times, usually more. And in the case of Adam Dunn, you can break the all-time single-season strikeout record and still be considered the best hitter on your team. Why? Because chicks aren't the only ones who dig the long ball. GMs like them, too.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp...=.jsp&c_id=hou
    Kind of a dumb explaination from a baseball sports writer.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This... from Astro's Mailbag

Because chicks aren't the only ones who dig the long ball. GMs like them, too.
    Me thinks GMs are more baseball savy than this writer.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I think Alyson has an e-mail or two coming.

He does however have a fair point even though it is expressed rather flippantly. These days batting average is not the be all and end all of batting statistics. With OPS, OBP, SLG etc there are ways that a player can still be an effective batter without being the all round hitter. You can live with 200Ks a season if your hitting 40-50HRs as your OPS, OBP and SLG won't be as affected as your BA. A player who can hit for average with a decent OPS and OBP is someone who is now looked upon as being a leadoff hitter.

Essentially, the idea of what is the best hitter is changing.

190 strikeouts or 30 GIDP in a year, a dozen one way or 12 another.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    He does however have a fair point even though it is expressed rather flippantly.
    Exactly!

The question was "why"? She didn't tell the reader why, but instead got cutsie.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

As we have seen with the coverage of our REDS sports reporters are not always of the same quality. I'm just glad that we have someone like Marc covering the REDS.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I hate when people use history as some kind of implied value. "It used be valued, but it's not anymore. Therefore we are wrong now." Huh? You see this logic all the time, but for some reason it seems to be at its worst in baseball. There is this implied understanding that people used to do things the right way, and now we're getting away from it. I thought we cared about scoring runs.

I suppose it has everything to do with people not wanting to be wrong. If you hold a certain value, and that value is threatened, you in turn feel threatened as well. The merits of the value become irrelevent. Given the weight baseball places on history, it makes sense to see this so prevelent.

Back 60 years ago, before we were using statistical analysis at the same level, it was difficult to actually measure the "loss" experienced in a strikeout. However, the shame of "losing" the at bat associated with it was quite obvious, and therefore the stigma. But know that we can say with evidence that Adam Dunn's offensive contributions lead to more runs than Pete Rose's, it makes those people very uncomfortable. Furthermore, because most of the people defending the historical perspective don't understanding the methods of reaching the conclusion, they dismiss the conclusion out of hand -- thereby protecting themselves. Joe Morgan, I'm looking at you.....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Does that mean the Astros won't be trading for Dunn?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    I hate when people use history as some kind of implied value. "It used be valued, but it's not anymore. Therefore we are wrong now." Huh? You see this logic all the time, but for some reason it seems to be at its worst in baseball. There is this implied understanding that people used to do things the right way, and now we're getting away from it. I thought we cared about scoring runs.

I suppose it has everything to do with people not wanting to be wrong. If you hold a certain value, and that value is threatened, you in turn feel threatened as well. The merits of the value become irrelevent. Given the weight baseball places on history, it makes sense to see this so prevelent.

Back 60 years ago, before we were using statistical analysis at the same level, it was difficult to actually measure the "loss" experienced in a strikeout. However, the shame of "losing" the at bat associated with it was quite obvious, and therefore the stigma. But know that we can say with evidence that Adam Dunn's offensive contributions lead to more runs than Pete Rose's, it makes those people very uncomfortable. Furthermore, because most of the people defending the historical perspective don't understanding the methods of reaching the conclusion, they dismiss the conclusion out of hand -- thereby protecting themselves. Joe Morgan, I'm looking at you.....
    Argumentum ad antiquitatem

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Does that mean the Astros won't be trading for Dunn?
    No. Remember, our good friend AB guaranteed it.

Dunn isnt the best hitter on the team though.

He actually is the best hitter on the team. Has been for 3 years now.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Dunn isnt the best hitter on the team though.
    What is your definition for "best hitter"?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    What is your definition for "best hitter"?
    Tony Womack for me.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?