Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gyroball, the new pitch

Re: Gyroball, the new pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    John Franco threw a screwball.
    3rd pitch

Jim Murray on Carl Hubble,
    "The only eccentric thing about him is his arm, it looks like he put it on in the dark."

The screwball is a pitch that can ruin a beginners arm

Lew Fonsecca How to Pitch (1942)
    It helps guys out late in their career that's for sure and fro many it is the bread an butter, goes great with a wide array of picthse so you don't have to lean on it.

One who did lean on it and had a mess of pitches was Mike Cueller, a guy who took awhile to get there, but once he did you couldn't have wondered how the Reds let him slip away.

Another guy that was intimidated by Ed Bailey is my guess.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    3rd pitch
    Yeah, I know. I was just pointing out a modern day pitcher who threw a screwball.

Yeah, I know. I was just pointing out a modern day pitcher who threw a screwball.
    Modern like the B-52's and the Talking Heads.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Modern like the B-52's and the Talking Heads.
    Come on, didn't Franco pitch like last year?

Come on, didn't Franco pitch like last year?
    Yeah, but I bet the B-52's played at the Variety Playhouse or something in Atlanta, shoot maybe even the 40 Watt in Athens last year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I heard that Sidd Finch threw a gyroball.
    I loved that story...Long live Sidd Finch!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

To throw a gyroball, a pitcher holds the side of the ball with a fastball grip. The pitcher's hips and throwing shoulder must be in near-perfect sync, something the book refers to as "double-spin mechanics." As the pitcher rotates his shoulder, he snaps his wrist and pulls down his fingers rather than flipping them over the ball, as happens with curveballs. The rotation is side over side. When the pitcher lets go, he must pronate his wrist, or turn it so the palm faces third base. It's like a right-hander throwing a screwball, only instead of the ball last touching the middle finger, it spins off the index finger.
    The description of the pitch doesn't exactly match what I'm able to see in the video. If you slow down the video and look at the seams on the ball, the spin is interesting. I wasn't impressed with the break on the pitch until I slowed the video down. It is probably the angle, but I thought it looked pretty nifty. Interesting read. Thanks for posting the article harangatang, and the video Caseyfan21.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

According to Gaylord Perry, the key to throwing the gyroball is knowing where to stash the cucumber sauce so that the umps don't find it.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Nobody ever HAD to teach Mike Marshall the gyroball.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I heard that Sidd Finch threw a gyroball.

Bet you nailed it dead on Roy april 1'st myth , and i bet its gaining momentum.

Turn Off Ads?