Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr. How Hot Is This Kid!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Griffey Jr. How Hot Is This Kid!

Batting .588
    3 HR's
    10 RBI's
    2 Doubles
    .650 OBP
    1.235 Slugging
    1.885 OPS
    2 K's in 17 AB

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Griffey Jr. How Hot Is This Kid!

He's locked in at the plate, no doubt.

Most encouraging, though, is the fact that he's driving through the ball with his legs and rotating his body effectively to produce power out of his swing. That indicates, to me, that he's suffering no lingering effects from his foot injury and off-season knee surgery. He's light-years ahead of where he was at the start of last season.

Also, as an aside, I'm really starting to get into the WBC a lot more than I thought I would. Team USA kinda bores me (other than Griffey), but it's fun to see a lot of these national teams, stocked with players from other leagues. I think the whole concept of the tournament needs more work -- timing issues need to be addressed, international umpire crews are a must, and better logistical planning for sales and promotion are needed -- but I like what I see in a first go-around.

It's not perfect, but it's certainly a sight more entertaining than grapefruit league action.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Jr. has looked amazing and it can't be anything but good news for the Reds. IMO, he is clearly the best player on the USA team right now.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

He really looks 10 years younger on the field. He's running around well in the field and he looks as good at the plate as we've seen him in a long time.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    He really looks 10 years younger on the field. He's running around well in the field and he looks as good at the plate as we've seen him in a long time.
    Looks the same in the field to me -- incredibly graceful with no range.

Though if Jr. continues to be the hero for Team USA will there be a market for him? If his bat carries the national team to glory I've got think that some teams will believe he can do the same for them and a World Series title.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Though if Jr. continues to be the hero for Team USA will there be a market for him? If his bat carries the national team to glory I've got think that some teams will believe he can do the same for them and a World Series title.
    I don't want to turn this into a trade or don't trade Griffey thread, but I think the new ownership group needs a drawing card in thier first season on the field. Outside Junior, there isn't anyone on this team that people are going to buy tickets to see and if Junior's healthy and putting up numbers not only does he help the team on the field but he can put 30,000 butts in the seats by himself. Nobody else on this team can do that.

Looks the same in the field to me -- incredibly graceful with no range.

I guess the question the Reds will need to answer will be, is it worth more to them to unload Junior's contract to a willing buyer, or to have him pursue 600 HRs as a Red--and the accompanying profits and accolades? I dunno, but I do think with all of the steroid talk with Bonds, Sosa, Palmeiro, McGwire et al, Junior is going to garner a lot of interest as he begins knocking on the door of 600. The sentimental side of my sure would like to see him hit #s 400, 500 AND 600 as a Red, that's for sure.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I don't want to turn this into a trade or don't trade Griffey thread, but I think the new ownership group needs a drawing card in thier first season on the field.
    Red missed their chance. I truly believe they wll live to regret not trading Jr to the Sox in exchange for Young. I really believe he will be a star in Arizona starting in 2007.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I don't want to turn this into a trade or don't trade Griffey thread, but I think the new ownership group needs a drawing card in thier first season on the field. Outside Junior, there isn't anyone on this team that people are going to buy tickets to see and if Junior's healthy and putting up numbers not only does he help the team on the field but he can put 30,000 butts in the seats by himself. Nobody else on this team can do that.
    IMO the new ownership needs to get about the business of building a better team. Adam Dunn and Felipe Lopez are young All-Stars. If you can't sell that, then you can't sell baseball.

Trade considerations are unavoidable. If Jr. continues to rake on a big stage like the WBC that will grow the market for his services. If Krivsky can move Jr. for some prime young talent and free up millions in the process, how does he say no?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Red missed their chance. I truly believe they wll live to regret not trading Jr to the Sox in exchange for Young. I really believe he will be a star in Arizona starting in 2007.
    Agreed. Carl Lindner had a talent for overruling people when they seemingly made the right call.
    Last edited by M2; 03-14-2006 at 09:46 AM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

IMO the new ownership needs to get about the business of building a better team. Adam Dunn and Felipe Lopez are young All-Stars. If you can't sell that, then you can't sell baseball.
    Dunn and Lopez are developing into very nice ballplayers, if not potential superstars (particularly in Dunn's case). But they are not players that most people would sit at home on a Friday morning of a game day and say I want to go down and see Dunn play. They aren't going to feel compelled to buy a ticket just to see him play.

Junior on the other hand, if he approaches the 600 homerun mark in a Reds uniform...even if the team is 20 games out the stadium is going to be sold out every day. That means more exposure for the Reds, that means more revenue generated and a potentially better product on the field as a result.

Junior makes people come out to see him play. Dunn and/or Lopez just aren't at that level yet.

Griff helping the cause...

From WBC "best performers" notes on MLB.com:

Junior Griffey deserves a spot in this category, not just because he was 3-for-4 with a solo homer and RBI single for the USA, but also because he told Clemens: "You look good in a red jersey." That's what the Rocket said in his pregame press conference. Nothing like being an ambassador for the Cincinnati Reds while you're representing your country.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Outside Junior, there isn't anyone on this team that people are going to buy tickets to see and if Junior's healthy and putting up numbers not only does he help the team on the field but he can put 30,000 butts in the seats by himself. Nobody else on this team can do that.
    Junior played pretty well last year yet the Reds didn't draw well.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Junior played pretty well last year yet the Reds didn't draw well.
    He also started the year out slow as molasses and wasn't chasing any milestones. If he gets out to a hot start in April and approaches 40-45 homers the Reds will draw better than if he doesn't.

I should probably take myself out of this arguement due to the fact that he's my all time favorite and I don't want to see him traded for anything.

He also started the year out slow as molasses and wasn't chasing any milestones. If he gets out to a hot start in April and approaches 40-45 homers the Reds will draw better than if he doesn't.

I should probably take myself out of this arguement due to the fact that he's my all time favorite and I don't want to see him traded for anything.
    The Reds will draw better when they win Jr. or no Jr. I like Jr. as much as the next guy but the problem Reds fans have with him - and Pena and Kearns is that they want to trade them when they are going bad but when they are playing well they wouldn't take Johann Santana for them. Trading Jr. is somewhat of a moot point anyway since he can veto any trade. So it isn't like we can even trade him for a Santana if a deal like that were to be offered.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Depending on Jr. to draw fans is a ship that sailed 5 years ago when he was writhing on the ground and being booed.

Turn Off Ads?