Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch

Ouch

It appears that some Reds aren't pleased with Wily Mo's decision to "play" in the WBC. From the Enquirer this morning:

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Way to go, Wily, way to get better for us!"

An unnamed Red as Wily Mo Peña got in the high five line after another "DNP" (did not play) for the Dominican Republic team in the World Baseball Classic

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...603140390/1071
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ouch

I feel the same way. If he gets benched because he's just not developing this season it's nobody's fault but his own. He had to know he wasn't going to get much if any playing time as loaded as that team in the Dominican is.

I can't blame him for wanting to play for his country, but he's putting his MLB job in jeopardy.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

The Braves were worried about that Francouer.

Seems like they may be behind when the season opens.

Just to play devil's advocate, but maybe it's not such a bad thing for Pena to be hanging around with some of the game's best players in a winning atmosphere.

In the event that he's mildly behind after the WBC, he'll still have two weeks to get his timing down before the season starts.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    The Braves were worried about that Francouer.

Seems like they may be behind when the season opens.
    The difference is that Francouer is more of a finished product than Pena. Wily Mo has power, speed and a great arm but he is a defensive liability. At least Francouer is playing instead of sitting on the bench. I think in Wily Mo's case the criticism is valid. There are plenty of players who can keep the Dominican bench warm. If you're playing in the WBC regularly, it isn't a lot different than playing in exhibition games except you don't get the instruction you'd get in ST. I understand there is a certain amount of nationalism that pressures these players to play for their country. But I somehow doubt Wily Mo would be persona non grata in the DR if he decided to spend ST with the Reds.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Actually, when he's been in there, he has performed. In his limited time he's 3 for 6 and he's walked a couple of times.

I've not read in the same article, the same un-named Red, that Griffey's hurting the team with his absence.

Look at it from Willy Mo's stand point - he might look up to some of those guys. Maybe he's taking extra hitting during practice. Maybe a Papi Ortiz is talking to him, or he's intently watching an Albert Puijois take a professional approach to the game.

I think the WBC could actually help WMP.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

He had the game-winning hit the other day. Look, Wily didn't know he wasn't going to have a lot of playing time. I think whoever said that is just upset they have to take a lot of PFP day-to-day. People should think when they speak: what POSSIBLE good could come out of saying something like that?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

I have watched a few of the WBC games and enjoyed the pre-season competition. However, it is a conflict of interest with the money teams have invested in these guys to play in an all-star tournament. I haven't heard of any key injuries, which is good. Still, I'm not sure its fair to the franchises that have these assets under contract.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    He had the game-winning hit the other day. Look, Wily didn't know he wasn't going to have a lot of playing time. I think whoever said that is just upset they have to take a lot of PFP day-to-day. People should think when they speak: what POSSIBLE good could come out of saying something like that?
    It was somewhat gutless to request anonymity for saying something like that but the player has a point. I'm guessing the DR is taking this a little more seriously than the US is. I'm guessing they aren't giving him a lot of instruction on the fine points of playing LF. Now he may be at the point where even if he gets 24/7 instruction on how to play LF it won't even make him adequate out there. But this is the first year that he's going to be a regular and he's spending most of ST gathering splinters. It's his choice but I personally don't think it's a wise move.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This is bunk. Wily Mo spent this offseason playing winter ball, concentrating on his game and his numbers suggest a different approach...as was even noted by Naron. I can't believe anyone would begrudge a young player wanting to live out his dream of playing for his country in a first-of-its-kind tournament. Who knows if he'll get another chance?

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I'm with ya, Heath. Annonymous player - get some stones and stand behind your quote or really, its just noise.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Hmm..Hatteberg to 1st and Dunn to left with Wily Mo benched?

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Hmm..Hatteberg to 1st and Dunn to left with Wily Mo benched?

Krono if I didn't know better...I'd steal your Florida hat after those hogwash remarks...

Just channeling Narron
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Just channeling Narron
    Someone better be getting you a mega Sprite when you go to the ST gathering.....Or 15 beers.....

Turn Off Ads?