Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardinals Lineup

Cardinals Lineup

I was just watching the Yankees and Cards on ESPN and they showed the projected starting lineup for the 2006 Cardinals. Granted they have a really good rotation but they could have some real problems scoring runs this year, especially if Pujols, Rolen, and/or Edmonds get hurt.

Eckstein
    Spivey
    Pujols
    Rolen
    Edmonds
    Encarnacion
    Bigbie
    Molina

Just seems that they should have done a little more to shore up the OF situation over the off season.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Cardinals Lineup

Yep. Three terrific hitters in the middle, but the rest of them are just guys. If any of the big three are injured the lineup's nothing special.

Jocketty has a way of finding what his team needs when it needs it, though.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I was just watching the Yankees and Cards on ESPN and they showed the projected starting lineup for the 2006 Cardinals. Granted they have a really good rotation but they could have some real problems scoring runs this year, especially if Pujols, Rolen, and/or Edmonds get hurt.

Eckstein
    Spivey
    Pujols
    Rolen
    Edmonds
    Encarnacion
    Bigbie
    Molina

Just seems that they should have done a little more to shore up the OF situation over the off season.
    Frankly, I believe this is one of the reasons the Cardinals have been so successful in recent years. They have built around a core (Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen) and strong starting pitching. Then, they have paraded in spare parts to fill the corner outfield spots and second base.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

They won the division last season with this lineup:

Eckstein
    Walker/Taguchi
    Pujols
    Edmonds
    Sanders
    Grudzeilanek
    Nunez
    Molina

If Rolen is healthy, the offense is better this season than last season.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    They won the division last season with this lineup:

Eckstein
    Walker/Taguchi
    Pujols
    Edmonds
    Sanders
    Grudzeilanek
    Nunez
    Molina

If Rolen is healthy, the offense is better this season than last season.
    I don't know about that. While they've gotten younger, I don;t think they've gotten better.

IMO, they're worse at 3 positions (2b, RF, LF) than they were last year. I understand that sooner or later you have to cut bait on Sanders as he is getting a little long in the tooth and Walker was done, but really, they couldn't do better than Larry Bigbie to fill the hole in LF?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Frankly, I believe this is one of the reasons the Cardinals have been so successful in recent years. They have built around a core (Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen) and strong starting pitching. Then, they have paraded in spare parts to fill the corner outfield spots and second base.
    oh, I agree, I just think they did a pretty crappy job of picking out spare parts this year.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Baseball Prospectus said the Cards' approach was a classic "Studs & Scrubs" setup. They wondered if maybe Walt Jocketty was into fantasy ball.

The whole issue is pitching. Will they replace Matt Morris and Ray King?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    The whole issue is pitching. Will they replace Matt Morris and Ray King?
    a very average starter and a better than average reliever. not only are they replaced, they're replaced by inhouse options who'll likely have better seasons than their predacessors.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    a very average starter and a better than average reliever. not only are they replaced, they're replaced by inhouse options who'll likely have better seasons than their predacessors.
    Morris did put up a lot of innings and win a lot of games. Time will tell whether they miss him or not but I wouldn't take lightly what he did for that franchise. As for Ray King, I'm sure our LH hitters feel better about the later innings now when we play the Cardinals

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I think this is the year that Marquis & Suppan finally get their house of cards knocked down. Both are mediocre starters who've had good luck and winning teams behind them, sooner or later that gets exposed.

Reyes is a great young pitcher, but that injury history sure is scary. Hopefully he's not another USC power arm that is injury prone. Besides LaRussa loves vets too much to let Reyes start in front of Ponson

Luna could play Spivey right out of a job - but LaRussa is afflicted with Dave Miley disease so that is unlikely to happen.

Color me unimpressed with that lineup. Pujols is fantastic, Edmonds is great but is getting older, and who knows how Rolen will bounce back from major shoulder surgery. The rest don't do anything for me.

My guess is that if Bigbie or Spivey tanks the Jockety will make a trade for someone more dependable by the all star break.

My guess is that if Bigbie or Spivey tanks the Jockety will make a trade for someone more dependable by the all star break.
    Womack, baby!
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Womack? Aurilia?

Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?