Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Barry Bonds Had Been a Red...

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

If Barry Bonds Had Been a Red...

With everything else remaining the same, would you want us to have a public celebration when/if he passes Ruth and Aaron?

The Giants plan to do so.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060315/...AwBHNlYwM3NTU-

In my opinion, the organization either has to stand behind him, or suspend him.

While the right choice is probably to suspend him, we all know that isn't going to happen.

Makes me sick to think of Barry Bonds as baseball's home run king.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: If Barry Bonds Had Been a Red...

AS the latest article on Barry Bonds was made public today -- the one where he told Junior that he was considering taking "the juice" to get the attention he thought he deserved -- I felt pity for the man. For all of his accomplishments, he had to cheat to be in the limelight, or so he thought.

And then you compare him with his friend, Ken Griffey, Jr. A man who was more concerned that his children would not get the right lesson from anything he would do. If there is anything that make you admire Junior more, I'd like to hear it.

That having been said, I think it's time for MLB and Bud Selig to make a stand on this matter. How do you let Bonds break the homerun record knowing what you now know? Why do you let it happen? Sure, folks say that Gaylord Perry doctored the ball and others used corked bats, but never in the history of the game has such accusations come out against a player. MLB didn't hesitate to ban Pete Rose, take him off the field, and deny him access to the game he loved so quickly when the word "gambling" was involved. In my eyes, Barry Bonds has done the same thing. He used illegal substances (even though baseball had not declared them illegal) to gain a performance advantage. How in the world do you ignore all of this and turn your head away at the scandal? Why not the swift action? Because he didn't ever test positive for steroids? Credible folks can testify and tell thier expereinces and still no comment or action? I am speechelss.

I guess it's a comment on our society in the 21st Century to let this go. Of course, it's not my decision and I am only a fan, but to me, it makes baseball the equivalent of the WWF to let this one go. Congress has investigated. One player testified emphatically that he did not take steriods and disappeared (and "bravo' to the Orioles for cutting him). This player continues on, hitting another home run today, and nothing is even mentioned.

I listened to Bonds the other day on one of the WBC games while the announcers nearly salivated at him being there and wondered what happened to the world I used to know. It used to be that these kind of folks were shunned and asked to answer for their transgressions.

Then I looked at the recent Daytone 500 where the winner's crew was caught cheating before the race and had been caught several times before that. Once again, folks looked the other way, without real punishment, and allowed the team to participate and win the event. And I wondered why those in charge let it happen. I guess I'm just not with it. Those that do wrong always have an excuse. And today we accept it without question because we are so in awe of the athlete. There's something wrong here. Maybe I need to go into a hole and never come out, but in my world Barry would have been retired forceably some time ago.

If there is a celebration, count me as one fan who will not watch. And when he is voted into the Hall of Fame (which he will be), this is one guy who just may walk away from the one sport I have loved since I was born.

Somebody please stop this madness.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I agree with alot of what you say and appluad your principles. But remember Gaylord Perry is in the hall of fame and even the idiots who follow baseball casually know he was a cheater.

had we signed Larkin in the '82 draft instead of redrafting him three years later, I always figured that we would have drafted Bonds in '85

Bonds and EDavis in the same OF...

Does that make Milton Loo the next Larkin?

I remember rumors from I believe the 2001 season that Barry Bonds wanted to come play for the Reds so he and Junior could play together.

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Does that make Milton Loo the next Larkin?
    next Nick Markakis

"We don't root for people anymore — we root for laundry" - Jerry Seinfeld
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Unfortunately, he hasn't been proven guilty. How does that get accomplished? Is anyone (or a group of anyones) even trying?

Until it's proven, it will go on and on and on.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

"If Barry Bonds had been a Red..."

He would have torn something at some point and flamed out
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Unfortunately, he hasn't been proven guilty. How does that get accomplished? Is anyone (or a group of anyones) even trying?

Until it's proven, it will go on and on and on.
    The sad, but true, story to all this. I think the MLB brainiacs and the Player's Union are the true guilty ones. They knew about the "problem" and chose to ignore it while it sold tickets, t-shirts and anything else that would generate revenue. Money, money, money. It took our Federal Gov't to get anything done in this big mess that was allowed to happen by the afore-mentioned brainiacs and Union guys. And a lot of these people will act so naive and act like they are the ones who helped get the new policies there.

And for those who were in the position(s) to let the steroid thing get so out-of-hand... has anyone lost their job for it? Not that I have heard.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I remember rumors from I believe the 2001 season that Barry Bonds wanted to come play for the Reds so he and Junior could play together.

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers.
    I recall that as well.

The more I hear concerning this, the more pity I feel toward Barry, but I still blame him and don't want to see him get anywhere near the record.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Haunted by walks

If the Reds were allowed to retire Pete Rose's jersey, would you go and cheer?

"If Barry Bonds had been a red..."

Most of us would support and defend him to no end. Don't even try to act like you wouldn't.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    "If Barry Bonds had been a red..."

Most of us would support and defend him to no end. Don't even try to act like you wouldn't.
    Why? Simply because he would have worn a reds uniform? There are many, many people here who have no love for Pete Rose and don't defend him at all. I don't see why it would be different for Bonds.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?