Turn Off Ads?

Thread: McCoy:Reds GM not worried about stats

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

McCoy:Reds GM not worried about stats

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...15redsweb.html

Krivsky not worried about Reds' stats

By Hal McCoy hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. — If marginal players are attempting to impress with flashy spring-training numbers or veterans are concerned about low batting averages or high earned-run averages, they are wasting their time doing it in front of Cincinnati Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky.

If somebody hands Krivsky a statistical sheet, he would use it to wipe mustard off his mouth or turn it into a paper hat. He wouldn’t read it.

“I can honestly say I have not looked at a stat sheet this spring,” he said. “I’ve seen every game, so I know who might be doing well and who might not, but if I tried to give numbers on what each player has done, I would be guessing.”

It is Krivsky’s scouting background — or as Yogi Berra would say, “You can see a lot by observing.” Krivsky would rather watch performances than read numbers about them.

“Numbers in spring training can fool you, both ways — positive numbers and negative numbers,” he said. “I like to see players peak in the last week of spring training. You might not see bat speed or arm speed early in camp, but you can see it coming around.”

So Ryan Freel shouldn’t fret about his .037 batting average (he concluded an 0-for-24 slide with a double Tuesday), nor should Adam Dunn (.182), Austin Kearns (.174), Jason LaRue (.136) or Felipe Lopez (.192).

And Edwin Encarnacion shouldn’t get giddy about his .464 average, nor should Tony Womack (.364), DeWayne Wise (.444), Quinton McCracken (.400) or Brian Buchanan (.500 with a home run Tuesday against the Red Sox).

Krivsky, though, has more than an inkling of what Encarnacion is doing, especially after his sixth home run of the spring whistled out of City of Palms Park, a two-run blast that helped the Reds beat the Boston Red Sox 9-7 Tuesday.

Reds pitcher David Weathers shouldn’t shout at the dog because of his 12.60 ERA, and pitcher Dave Williams needn’t make excuses for his wobbly showings.

“Proven guys, guys with track records, have their own ways to get ready, so I don’t overreact either way about how they’re doing at this part of spring training,” Krivsky said.

“Take a guy like Williams. He isn’t a power pitcher trying to build arm strength. He is a ‘feel’ pitcher, a guy who has to get a feel for his pitches, work on release points and arm action. Those guys take longer.”

In more general terms, Krivsky is pleased with what he sees concerning work ethics and attitudes.

“Everything seems positive,” he said. “So many guys are doing extra work.

“(Coaches) Bucky Dent and Chris Chambliss are working hard teaching Dunn to play first base, extra time. ”

When asked what he thought about the pitching, Krivsky smiled and said, “Why did you have to ask me that? Do you have another question?”

Yes, Krivsky is on top of the pitching problems and realizes some shortcomings, but coming into the job just prior to spring training makes it difficult for him to perform major fixes.

“Give us time, “ he said. “We’ll get it right.”

The Red Sox welcomed and wished happy birthday during Tuesday’s game to a 107-year-old fan. Krivsky did not check his arm speed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: McCoy:Reds GM not worried about stats

so Krivsky doesn't care about spring training stats?

good.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord

good.
    I guess Dewayne Wise probably won't want to hear that.

I've always been of two minds regarding spring training. I used to think that if the Reds did really well in spring training, I needed to worry. Now, of course, worrying is a way of life for Reds fans!

That said, I do believe that players are always working on different things during spring training - experimenting and adjusting, seeing what works and what doesn't. That might change from time to time.

Some things of hope in this column? Krivsky notes, correctly I believe, that it will take time. Of course, Reds fans want it now - it's been a long trek thru this desert, right? I liked what he said about Williams and the type pitcher he is. I think that's what's going to set Krivsky apart in the long run.

He has to work with the hand he's been dealt. It will take a little bit to flush some of that out of our system.

I would caveat the ST thing in that a young player having a great spring is usually a harbinger of good things to come. I for one am looking for very good years from EE and Ryan Howard(PECOTA likes them as well).

The Red Sox welcomed and wished happy birthday during Tuesday’s game to a 107-year-old fan. Krivsky did not check his arm speed.
    ...for fear of embarrasing Reds hurlers Paul Wilson and Chris Hammond
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    ...for fear of embarrasing Reds hurlers Paul Wilson and Chris Hammond
    But then again, 59 year old Satchel Paige didn't do too badly in that one game in 1965:

1965 58 KCA AL 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 3.0 1 0 0 0 0 1

1 Game started, 3 IP's, 1 hit, 1 K (I wonder who that was?)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    But then again, 59 year old Satchel Paige didn't do too badly in that one game in 1965:

1965 58 KCA AL 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 3.0 1 0 0 0 0 1

1 Game started, 3 IP's, 1 hit, 1 K (I wonder who that was?)
    Ah, here's the answer:

Satchel Paige pitched 3 shutout innings for the Kansas City Athletics at the age of 59 on September 25, 1965. This made him the oldest player ever to participate in a major league game. Only five other players have played after the age of 50: Minnie Minoso, Nick Altrock, Jim O'Rourke, Charley O'Leary and Jack Quinn. He gave up one hit, a double to Carl Yastrzemski, and notched one strikeout -- opposing hurler Bill Monbouquette.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord

good.
    Yeah, I imagine Hal will be disappointed at how few people this article irks.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Ah, here's the answer:

Satchel Paige pitched 3 shutout innings for the Kansas City Athletics at the age of 59 on September 25, 1965. This made him the oldest player ever to participate in a major league game. Only five other players have played after the age of 50: Minnie Minoso, Nick Altrock, Jim O'Rourke, Charley O'Leary and Jack Quinn. He gave up one hit, a double to Carl Yastrzemski, and notched one strikeout -- opposing hurler Bill Monbouquette.
    Game Played on Saturday, September 25, 1965 (N) at Municipal Stadium
    Code:
    Kansas City Athletics IP     H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR
    Paige                  3     1   0   0   0   1   0
    RED SOX 1ST: Gosger popped to first; Jones reached on an error
    by Rosario [Jones to second]; Jones was out trying to advance to
    third; Yastrzemski doubled; Conigliaro made an out to left; 0 R,
    1 H, 1 E, 1 LOB. Red Sox 0, Athletics 0.

RED SOX 2ND: Thomas popped to third; Mantilla grounded out
    (shortstop to first); Bressoud made an out to right; 0 R, 0 H, 0
    E, 0 LOB. Red Sox 0, Athletics 1.

RED SOX 3RD: Ryan popped to shortstop; Monbouquette struck out;
    Gosger grounded out (shortstop to first); 0 R, 0 H, 0 E, 0 LOB.
    Red Sox 0, Athletics 1.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

When asked what he thought about the pitching, Krivsky smiled and said, “Why did you have to ask me that? Do you have another question?”
    I think I like this guy.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I've always been of two minds regarding spring training. I used to think that if the Reds did really well in spring training, I needed to worry. Now, of course, worrying is a way of life for Reds fans!

That said, I do believe that players are always working on different things during spring training - experimenting and adjusting, seeing what works and what doesn't. That might change from time to time.

Some things of hope in this column? Krivsky notes, correctly I believe, that it will take time. Of course, Reds fans want it now - it's been a long trek thru this desert, right? I liked what he said about Williams and the type pitcher he is. I think that's what's going to set Krivsky apart in the long run.

He has to work with the hand he's been dealt. It will take a little bit to flush some of that out of our system.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I hope Krivsky isn't saying that even though EE has had an awesome spring he still won't be the starting 3rd baseman for the Reds on Opening Day.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    I hope Krivsky isn't saying that even though EE has had an awesome spring he still won't be the starting 3rd baseman for the Reds on Opening Day.
    I think the point is that if a player has a known track record(either good or bad) a few spring training games isn't going to cause Mr. Krivsky to believe the spring stats and forget the track record. In the case of EE he has no track record at the major league level, that is why the spring is important to him.

“Proven guys, guys with track records, have their own ways to get ready, so I don’t overreact either way about how they’re doing at this part of spring training,” Krivsky said.

“Take a guy like Williams. He isn’t a power pitcher trying to build arm strength. He is a ‘feel’ pitcher, a guy who has to get a feel for his pitches, work on release points and arm action. Those guys take longer.”
    Fine. Except that their track records indicate that they won't get much better.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?